Epic Fail, Day 2

Options
I feel like I'm at a critical point. I did well yesterday, Day 1. I was super excited. I was doing well today... until my husband sold his guitar and wanted to go out to eat to celebrate. It was too much for me. I love to eat out. I was excited to be able to go out with my husband and daughter (it doesn't happen often.) I went way over my calories for today. The conclusion was: "if every day was like today, you'd weigh the same as you do now in 5 weeks." And that was after 25 minutes on the elliptical!

I feel like such a failure. Earlier, after eating, I wanted to give up. But I thought "there's this awesome community on myfitnesspal, maybe they can help me." So here I am. I've bombed on day two and don't have much confidence in myself and my abilities. How can I gain the self control I need to eat better?

Replies

• Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eee, on't fret, it's only day two!!! It takes time to change habits, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! That is key, don't give up learn from your mistakes, and apply the lesson learned as often as possible. Go for it, you can do it!
  • sarnoldm
    sarnoldm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me to answer in a way because I'd have done exactly the same! We rarely go out to eat so when we do! even though I'm dieting, I eat what I want. However, you did a fab thing which was to exercise when you got back and ALSO, you are aware that you mustn't do it every day. Weight loss should be a life change, not a quick fix, and it's the awareness you have that you overrate that's important. You might find that because its your first week you lose anyway...start again tomorrow! Don't despair x
  • jacobjacksmom
    Options
    One of the main things to remember is that your human! Your going to make mistakes! Don't beat yourself up about it. Wake up tomorrow with a positive mind frame and dust off it off. If you are tired of starting over stop giving up! You can do this but you need to believe in yourself! When you are about to give in to temptation stop and think about what you really want! It isn't take out food or junk food! It's to be healthy and feel good in your own skin! Don't give up!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So, you broke even for today and were eating at a deficit yesterday? That adds up to a total loss!

Set out a plan for tomorrow? What, specifically, will you do to stay within your calories? What will you have for breakfast?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Its ok. Take a deep breath. Now let it out. I eat out with my hubby at least once a week-usually 2x. I go over sometimes too but it's ok. I work out 6x a week. I mess up but I go right back on my healthy eating wagon. The trick is never give up! You WILL get where you want to be if you keep going. I used to be 188 and now I'm 126. I never starve and I lose weight slowly but surely. I even go on vacations and either gain nothing or just a few pounds. Just stick with it. You did not fail! Keep going-one foot in front of the other and you will get there.
  • TIFJAZJUL
    TIFJAZJUL Posts: 13
    Options
    No worries, that's why god created tomorrows
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree, dont give up. Take it day by day. It takes time to make a habit. You could always start with exercising for 30 mins a day. Keep track of your food so you are concious of what you are eating and in turn you will make better decisions. You just need to find out what works for you!! Good Luck!
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    First off, you've joined MFP to try to change your diet/lifestyle/whatever. Yay!! That's the first step. Now you're on day 2, and you had a maintenance (break even) day. You can't change everything, all bad habits, at once and never have a back slide. Keep that in mind. Besides, if you're anything like me, a maintenance day is an improvement over how I used to eat. Every day was a gain day not that long ago. So there's another yay for you. Third, you had a maintenance day on a celebratory go-out-to-eat day. Sounds like another yay in my book. Keep in mind that you're new to this. Its probably going to take you 2 or 3 weeks to really get the hang of what you're doing and even then you're going to have days that you don't do so well. Don't beat yourself up about it. You're human and its a lifestyle change where life is the operative word. In other words, you won't be perfect (just like life isn't perfect) and things like celebratory meals out will come along to challange you. Just chalk it up to a less than perfect day and start again tomorrow. Feeling guilty and beating yourself up about it will just make you quit and quitting won't get you where you want to go. Good luck to you. You can do it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    But it said if EVERY day was like today.. Now you know EVERY day cannot be like today or you may gain weight.

You need to learn from today and improve tomorrow... that is all you can do. Don't give up :) It's just Day 2.. you have the rest of your life to go over or under your calories!

You can do it! I've been bad ALL week,,, ALLLLLL week, I'm not giving up because next week is a new week and I can learn from this horrible week. I have to, because then the last 2.5 months were a complete waste of my "good" days and hard workouts.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple weeks to figure out how to get below my calorie goal. I still go over frequently, but probably not as bad and as frequently as I did before I started. This weight loss is a result of months of work, not one bad day. Please start again tomorrow and forget about today!
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Breaking even is not an epic fail- if you ate like 1000 over maybe, but breaking even does not cause any damage. Tomorrow start again. You said you rarely get to eat out so this isn't a daily thing. Look at what successes you had today (worked out- yay!) and anything else you may have eaten that was good. Also, I try to look at my week- that usually averages it out to be where it should be. Don't fret over this or else your morale will get destroyed.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I know I will go over and I accept it, because I'm not making a habit of it. I am taking my mother to lunch on Sunday and it is likely I will go over. But I won't go over on Friday and I won't go over on Monday. And maybe I won't go over on Sunday, but I am not going to worry about it.

You had a nice time with your family, enjoy it and start over again tomorrow.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A failure? You didn't gain weight, that's a success!

The hardest part of losing weight is not gaining it back. You can always come back tomorrow and cut a deficit.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Stay with it! What keeps me going is reading the success stories that are posted and seeing the pictures these amazing people post. And the thing is, we can be amazing, too, if we don't give up! Every day, log in. Read the health advice that's given, decide what's right for you, and then just take it one day at a time. Get some good friends who really understand the science behind weight loss and exercise. You'll be fine. Just don't give up!!!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Know the system. Adapt. Be patient.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The hubs and myself eat out at least twice a week if not more. I have lost almost an entire person so far and still losing doing it. The trick is to choose healthier options. I know, I know. You want to celebrate and eat what you want. Not something good for you.

That is how I felt when I first started. You have to make a choice as to what you want more. The healthier lifestyle or the meal that will be over in a few minutes.

After a couple of months of choosing the healthier options, I stopped wanting all the fried, and sauce covered foods. I now enjoy simply prepared meats with a few added spices and some steamed or roasted vegetables.

Just do not give up. Pick yourself up and start over right now!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Relax, it's day 2. Don't overthink it. There will be plenty of other days like today... you simply cannot freak out over every single one of them.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can either beat yourself up or embrace it and make a fresh start in the morning! I am betting you are strong enough to embrace it! :drinker:
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm at a critical point. I did well yesterday, Day 1. I was super excited. I was doing well today... until my husband sold his guitar and wanted to go out to eat to celebrate. It was too much for me. I love to eat out. I was excited to be able to go out with my husband and daughter (it doesn't happen often.) I went way over my calories for today. The conclusion was: "if every day was like today, you'd weigh the same as you do now in 5 weeks." And that was after 25 minutes on the elliptical!

I feel like such a failure. Earlier, after eating, I wanted to give up. But I thought "there's this awesome community on myfitnesspal, maybe they can help me." So here I am. I've bombed on day two and don't have much confidence in myself and my abilities. How can I gain the self control I need to eat better?

Its ok Megan dont worry about that!!

Look like many who have already given you a boost of encouragement. It's not about giving up on everything, it's about learning to manage what we eat and do. Great job on the elliptical, that thing makes my legs feel like jello lol.

Eating out, like you said, isn't an every day thing, treat it like a mini holiday. Just don't do it too often lol. Also the first step is starting and the second is the hardest, keep doing it.

Have confidence, have fun, and don't make exercising and food be a painful chor, make it fun and you'll reach your goal.

Best of luck to you and Rock on!!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Sorry sounds more like Epic whining not epic fail. Just remember it's a process. Every day you're going to learn more and more about yourself and healthy eating. Keep exercising and every day is a new day with no mistakes in. Grab it by the horns and learn something new about yourself and your needs.

This coming from the biggest whiner out there. BUT I got myself together and I am now making progress for the first time in my life. I still have unhealthy days, but I have A LOT less of them.