Pooping! :(

Options
Yes, this is so so so gross I know!

But is it important to be a 'regular pooper' in order to keep consistent weight loss?
I've had issues with this from a young age and depend on HUGE amounts of fiber or other means to regulate.

Is pooping important for weight loss?
And what ways are there to help regulate?

Thanks!
Sorry for being TMI!

Replies

• Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

But is it important to be a 'regular pooper' in order to keep consistent weight loss?
    I've had issues with this from a young age and depend on HUGE amounts of fiber or other means to regulate.

Thanks!
    Sorry for being TMI!

Don't be sorry... there are more out there like you... ME for one, I too have struggled all my adult life and had to "rely" on extra fibre or assistance, and some weeks I can be a few lbs heavier than other times... I am sure there will be some words of wisdom given on here.....
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women have these issues. What works for me is a good 12-15 cups of water per day, plus a minimum of 30 grams of fiber per day along with exercising. If I sit on my butt for two or more days in a row, and don't have adequate intake of the other two, it's a bad thing!

Edit: I also add 1 tsp of Chia seeds to my water, and make sure I've gotten them all down by the end of the day. They turn into gel.
  • blantondwb
    blantondwb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very important to be regular. Lots of water, fruit and vegs. Limit your caffeine! If you intake caffeine make sure you drink a cup of water for every cup of caffeineted beverage.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very important to be regular. Lots of water, fruit and vegs. Limit your caffeine! If you intake caffeine make sure you drink a cup of water for every cup of caffeineted beverage.

The caffeine helps me go in the morning. Haha
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    ..yea ... caffine also seems to help me in the morings too?

:ohwell:
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of fruit and vegetable, leave the skin on whenever possible. Grind up flax seed and add it to meals that it will blend into. Put chia seeds into a water or juice and eat that. Caffeine is a diuretic but not enough to eliminate all the water in the beverage that acted as its delivery system. And a strong cup of coffee with definitely get things moving. Finally, yogurt. All yogurt helps you poo. Activia is not special.
  • ronh21
    ronh21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off-topic, but your post reminded me of it, and it's good for a laugh if you haven't seen it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/593502-weigh-less-after-pooping?hl=three+pound+poop
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    I have always had issues with constipation even as a child, which turned into IBS-C which I can control now with magnesium and Ester C. Since I have totally revamped my diet and am eating healthy it hasn't changed my constipation problem. I try and drink my 8 glasses of water (very difficult) I was surprised this didn't improve my situation. So what I do that helps me go is take 2000mgs of Ester C, and 750mgs of magnesium oxide. This keeps things soft and moving fairly regularly, regularly for me that is! I've done the fiber thing etc with no help at all!
  • Rejuvn8
    Rejuvn8 Posts: 74
    Options
    You absolutely must have good digestive health to derive the most benefit from your diet and exercise routine and the good news is that is can be done naturally, with tons of water and high fiber food choices being your best friends. Your GI tract regulates just about everything as it is responsible for absorption of water, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes etc for delivery to the body. Just remember that everyone's bowel habits are different, so don't compare yourself to the next person. Some people go 2-3 times in a day and others go every 2-3 days and both scenarios can be considered "normal". It is often just trial and error with what you can and cannot tolerate for the best digestive health, so there may not be a one size fits all approach for you. Try to stay away from OTC laxatives as your system can become too reliant on them and cause long term problems. I can tell you one thing....that Kashi cereal seems like it will RotorRooter any system out.....sheesh!!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9wtrlGDY81re5uw8o1_500.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9wtrlGDY81re5uw8o1_500.gif

WHERE do you find this *kitten*?
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My morning coffee helps me with this!

But during the time when I swore off all caffeine products (lasted about one miserable month, don't know what I was thinking), drinking a lot of water and making sure I got my 25 grams of fiber.

Another thing that gets me going is exercise, especially a moderate - high intensity cardio workout. I guess all that jumping around does something to my GI tract! It's part of the reason why I prefer to do cardio DVDs at home. I can just pause and go haha
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Sorry for being TMI!

It is important! Trust me, I was hospitalized last night. I had stool that was backed up into my intestines. Which HURTS and can lead to serious health problems.

Mine was cause by drastic diet change (switched from fast food 3x a week to fast food.. Never)

If you think you may be having some problems I would consult a doctor.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to find some resolve for this as well.

I constantly feel/am constipated. I spoke with a dietitian a few years ago and her only recommendation was "more fibre." I talked to a pharmacist tonight, and her first question was "Are you getting enough fibre?"

My answer is yes. Sure, I could up the salads, but my diet consists of mainly beans, legumes and green/root vegetables. And I drink a *kitten* tonne of water. Daily.

The dietitian I spoke to advised that everyone has their own "normal," which I don't disagree with. However, I go, on average, once or twice a week, and before today, it had been 5 days since my last BM. In the time that passes between them I feel heavy, my abdomen is distended, and if I try to go it is not without strain. To me, this is not "normal." It doesn't feel right.

One of my MFP friends was nice enough to UPS me some all-natural tea that promotes...going. So, tonight I drank a mug of that with some Restoralax and have gone twice, but I still don't feel....relieved?

I'm considering getting a colonic and I plan to talk more about this to my doctor early next month.

I know that none of the above is a permanent fix and I do NOT want to rely on the assistance of any sort of laxative/softener for any length of time.

If you find something that works, please do let me know ... I'm open to suggestions and information!

Good luck :)
  • EatYourVeg
    Options
    You guys are fantastic, I was so worried about making this topic as it might have been considered TMI!

I had to take some laxatives yesterday because of this problem, I take them too much and I KNOW thy're very bad!
    I'm gona try drinking more water (I drink about 3 cups of tea a day so that's usually my only water in-take)

I think I found that the best way for me to go the bathroom is to have;

1 Large bowl of Bran Flakes for breakfast
    1 Nutrigrain Bar for Lunch
    Apple and Banana for snack
    1 Large bowl of Bran Flakes for Dinner

There's no protein or fat in any of this diet, but if I follow it I can go the bathroom at least once every 2/3 days.
    I'm definitely gona try the Chia Seeds idea too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid fat! Healthy fats are essential to many things, digestive health being one of them. I've found that not only are water and fiber important to keep things moving, healthy fats in the diet are key as well. Nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive & coconut oils are all a part of my diet and have made a difference for me (along with exercise, water and fiber, etc, etc).
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    add flax seeds to your food. I put it in my oatmeal, salads, mix into my peanut butter... and chia seeds. It works! :)
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I have this proplem too and frankly is sucks. I go on average once, maybe twice a week, sometimes not at all. And then BAM, I'll go 4-5 times in a day. It's embarassing really. It definately plays a toll on my weight loss too. The adding extra fiber hasn't helped me at all either.
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    my calcium supplement seems to help with it, its called Bone Up by jarrow formulas, the magnesium in it seems to do the job. i also eat about 3lbs. of raw veggies a day blended, raw whatever and almost a gallon of h20, and exercise 60 mins at minimum 5-6 days a week. some days are hardcore and some are not.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are tasty to add to yogurt!