Craving lots of carbs...

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
So, I've been trying not to eat too many carbs...for the last couple months (plateau the first month, but lost inches the 2nd, no lbs. either month), I've been well under my carb limit for the day. Lately, I've been really craving carbs. I typically have been eating a big carb at both lunch and dinner... whole wheat pasta or white rice (I can't stand brown). I'm staying within my carb limit by just a little or going over a little. Does anyone have an explanation for this and do you think this will be okay? I'm set at 50% because dietician.com said for my shape, age, sex, height, weight, activity level, etc. that I should be at 50/30/20 so I am. Am I craving carbs because I wasn't getting enough? Or could it be because I started running intervals again and my body needs the carbs for my "runs"? I'm not running more than about 10 minutes total in usually a 20-30 minute time frame so that seems a little off, but it's my only guess.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    intervals and carbs go together nicely, BUT carbs should be eaten BEFORE long bouts of cardio (even intervals), not after, they do nothing for you after (with regards to exercise that is), so my recommendation is to eat a good healthy carb portion about 2 hours before you work out, then after, a very small carb/protein combination (I mean immediately after, within 1/2 an hour of finishing your workout), this can have a limited amount of simple carbs in it (maybe 5 to 10 grams) to feed the immediate need for energy replenishment, but don't overdo it.

As to why you're craving carbs in general, can't really tell you that. It's very much a personal thing and something you need to dig into yourself to figure out.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Carb cravings could be yeast overgrowth, sugar addiction, signs of Insulin Resistance or your body needing a particular nutrient.

I find that for me, it depends on the type of cravings I have on what my body is telling me..........
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    intervals and carbs go together nicely, BUT carbs should be eaten BEFORE long bouts of cardio (even intervals), not after, they do nothing for you after (with regards to exercise that is), so my recommendation is to eat a good healthy carb portion about 2 hours before you work out, then after, a very small carb/protein combination (I mean immediately after, within 1/2 an hour of finishing your workout), this can have a limited amount of simple carbs in it (maybe 5 to 10 grams) to feed the immediate need for energy replenishment, but don't overdo it.

As to why you're craving carbs in general, can't really tell you that. It's very much a personal thing and something you need to dig into yourself to figure out.

post-workout carbs ARE essential for recover!!!!

arielle... i used to eat carbs as a main-dish part of every meal!!!!
    not i east soo many vegetables.
    like i seriously either have a huge salad or a lot of roasted veggies... i add a protein.. and a 'SIDE' of carbs.
    try and surround ur meals around more veggies and less carbs and ull be sooo full.
    thing about carbs is (IMO) the more i have, the faster i get hungry and want MORE carbs!
    but carbs are very important so dont cut them out.

some dinners i dont eat ANY carbs... then i get that carb craving.. which is easily cured by some air popped popcorn! =]

try changing things up a bit!

gooood luck =]
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    Tom Venuto (loving sigh after I say his name!!) did this article on carbs

http://www.burnthefat.com/BIG_FAT_LIES_8_the_low_carb_lie.html

It might be helpful to you, or it might not. Might be worth the read though. Here is a peice of it:

"If you remove most of your carbohydrates from your diet for a long period of time, you're setting yourself up for a relapse. You tend to crave what you cannot have, both physiologically and psychologically. The more you cut the carbs, the easier it is to rebound will be when you put carbs back in."

I don't think 50/30/20 is unreasonable. That ratio sounds like a good one to me. I am doing 40/40/20. Yours doesn't seem like an extreme carb reduction so your craving might be something different all together.

Good luck.
  • aippolito1
    Options

It might be helpful to you, or it might not. Might be worth the read though. Here is a peice of it:

"If you remove most of your carbohydrates from your diet for a long period of time, you're setting yourself up for a relapse. You tend to crave what you cannot have, both physiologically and psychologically. The more you cut the carbs, the easier it is to rebound will be when you put carbs back in."

I don't think 50/30/20 is unreasonable. That ratio sounds like a good one to me. I am doing 40/40/20. Yours doesn't seem like an extreme carb reduction so your craving might be something different all together.

Good luck.

That's what I was thinking! Thanks. :happy: As for everyone else, I know the whole...carbs before intervals thing. I usually eat half a banana which is 13 carbs. Is that enough or should I eat more? Then I usually eat cereal and the rest of the banana or another fruit afterwards, sometimes with an egg (when I have time to make one or can remember to bring one with me - lol!)
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Good luck.

I disagree with that article 100000%. it is possible to break carb addiction forever.

And if you are eating loads of veggies, some fruit, nuts, dairy and occasional starch and occasional grains you are getting plenty of carbs.............

I am going through some metabolic issues at this time and most of the "carb" cravings are due to some type of Metabolic disorder, not just because someone can't have something.

I know plenty of people that have been maintaining a low carb lifestyle for years and years, are marathon runners and eat a very controlled carb eating plan and a very stringent work out schedule.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Please don't hijack my thread with your views of the low carb lifestyle. I lose weight fine eating plenty of carbs and I will continue that way.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

That's what I was thinking! Thanks. :happy: As for everyone else, I know the whole...carbs before intervals thing. I usually eat half a banana which is 13 carbs. Is that enough or should I eat more? Then I usually eat cereal and the rest of the banana or another fruit afterwards, sometimes with an egg (when I have time to make one or can remember to bring one with me - lol!)

it's not what I would eat before an aerobic workout. I would attempt to get some more complex carbs in before. Banana's have both sucrose and fructose in them (a monosaccharide and a disaccharide respectively) both of which break down pretty fast in the body, negating much of the benefits of eating a carbohydrate before cardio. I would go with something that has more staying power like a whole grain such as steel cut oats about 1.5 to 2 hours before. After is a better time for a banana, but only the 1/2 as you said, and I don't think you need the cereal too, that's a lot of carbs, a 1/2 a banana has about 8 g of carbs, thats probably all you'll need (but adjust to how you feel, it's different for everyone). If your intervals were max (I.E. HIIT training) it wouldn't hurt to add a few grams of protein in after as well, maybe a hand full of nuts or a couple oz of chicken breast or the like (even a protein drink would be ok, but watch the sugar, some of those things are brutal with sugar).
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Arielle,

I agree, 50/30/20 sounds fine. It could be the physical link as has been discussed but it could also just be in your mind because you know you are trying to cut them down.

Maybe another possibility is that you are underestimating your exercise cals (since interval training can be more efficient at burning cals) and so your calorie count and percentages are a bit off?

Just a couple of thoughts. I hope your plateau is over soon!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Please don't hijack my thread with your views of the low carb lifestyle. I lose weight fine eating plenty of carbs and I will continue that way.

Please do not berate me as I was not hijacking the thread, but merely giving my point of view on the article posted, which I have just as much right to do here as you or anyone else.

that is what makes this Forum work, everyone giving their input.

If you don't want everyone's opinion and only want to "hear what you want to hear" then I don't understand why you would post on a Public and Open forum.
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options

Last time I checked this was a free and public web site not yours. We all have veiws and have a right to share them. Lioness was just giving another point of veiw. So it was different than yours thats life not everyone will agree with you, but I do think you were are out of line by telling someone not to post because you don't agree.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Hey Arielle,
    Are you taking in a lot of "sugar-free" things that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners? Just curious, I've found that when I indulge in those things I tend to crave sweets more. I've been on a popcorn kick lately and that's not good either, but I gave up chocolate 2 weeks ago, so I guess popcorn is better for me than the candy bars. LOL
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options

Please do not berate me as I was not hijacking the thread, but merely giving my point of view on the article posted, which I have just as much right to do here as you or anyone else.

If you don't want everyone's opinion and only want to "hear what you want to hear" then I don't understand why you would post on a Public and Open forum.

I really don't think Arielle was berating you....thats a bit of a stretch....she merely asked you not to hijack the post....which is what you tend to do on any post that has to do with carbs. It's like you have some built in "carb topic radar" which you respond to in a negative way .

Perhaps your input would be better received on posts if you weren't constantly trying to shove low carbs down everyones throat. We get it....you believe in it....it works for you....thats great! If other people don't believe in it.....just let it be....instead of constantly challenging anyone who doesn't share your same point of view around carbs. I have noticed, as have many others on MFP that you are very confrontational on several posts.

But hey, I'm just giving my input and point of view and I guess I have just as much right to do so as anyone else...right? After all it is a public and open forum.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I really don't think Arielle was berating you....thats a bit of a stretch....she merely asked you not to hijack the post....which is what you tend to do on any post that has to do with carbs. It's like you have some built in "carb topic radar" which you respond to in a negative way .

Perhaps your input would be better received on posts if you weren't constantly trying to shove low carbs down everyones throat. We get it....you believe in it....it works for you....thats great! If other people don't believe in it.....just let it be....instead of constantly challenging anyone who doesn't share your same point of view around carbs. I have noticed, as have many others on MFP that you are very confrontational on several posts.

But hey, I'm just giving my input and point of view and I guess I have just as much right to do so as anyone else...right? After all it is a public and open forum.

If you even read my post, I didn't push my beliefs on her or anyone else and I made a public apology in which I have not been confrontational with anyone.

In fact, people are being confrontational with me. I have humbled myself and I don't expect or will not let anyone attack me.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options

If you even read my post, I didn't push my beliefs on her or anyone else and I made a public apology in which I have not been confrontational with anyone.

In fact, people are being confrontational with me. I have humbled myself and I don't expect or will not let anyone attack me.

I think people are just aggravated because you keep repeating yourself, saying the same things about carbs and most people on here obviously love and eat a good bit of them and don't want to stop & choose a low-carb lifestyle. That's all. If i'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Maybe just reply to posts that ask for low-carb opinions? Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not being rude at all. Yes, this is a public forum and no one can stop you, but it's just a suggestion! =] I think it would stop all of the fighting going on.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think, without taking sides here, a lot of the frustration on arielle's part is that she didn't post about the article, and as such she really wasn't looking for commentary on said article (apart from how it might affect her original post), thus continuing on that line of discussion would be recognized as many as hijacking a thread.

it's inevitable that tangents happen in a forum such as this one, and I'm not going to say I don't do it (I do sometimes), and maybe arielle was a little harsh sounding in her request to stay on topic (that's partly due to the nature of posting, it's difficult to hear inflection and tonality in a written post), but it wasn't an unreasonable request otherwise.

Hopefully we can all be mindful of the fact that even though the forum is public, the posts are very personal and respect needs to be given as well as taken by both sides. Not saying I'm perfect in that regard, but I do my best.

What I think adds NOTHING to the equation is others posting replies defending one side or the other, all that does is escalate things, it almost never resolves the issue and inevitably will result in feeling being hurt. I would hope that we can all decide to use good judgement and if hard discussions need to continue, they continue via PM or some other non-public forum in order to keep the nastiness off public forums.

All just my humble opinion

As to the original question arielle, another thought I had was that for some, a complete removal of carbs for two or three days, and then the slow reintroduction of carbs over the course of a couple of weeks can either alleviate these symptoms and/or identify the carb type that could be setting off the cravings. Just a thought. Careful with this though, hydration levels should be closely monitored when you are very low carb, as should micro nutrient levels (perhaps adding some supplements during this time would be good)
  • lipslikegravity
    Options
    Me and my husband's solution to carb cravings in simple... EAT THEM (sort of).

There is a line of pasta that you can find in most local grocery stores called Dreamfields that only contains 5g of carbs per serving. It's a little expensive at around $2 a box but it's worth it. They use some kind of special technology that makes it so your body can't digest the carbs. It goes great with Ragu pasta sauce (I use the chunky kind because it's got a serving of vegetable per 1/2 cup) and a little bit of grated cheese.

Give it a try!

-Cortney
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My carb cravings are routed in gluten intolerance. I want bread, pasta, etc, but they bloat me up and make me retain water and definitely prevent weight loss. Jut make sure your cravings aren't that. I have addressed mine by eating potatoes, rice, and other gluten free solutions, but would still love to have some pasta. If the carb cravings don't result in bingeing, they are fine, but if you feel the cravings are out of control or weight loss is impeded try cutting out the gluten-containing carbs.

Hth
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Last time I checked this was a free and public web site not yours. We all have veiws and have a right to share them. Lioness was just giving another point of veiw. So it was different than yours thats life not everyone will agree with you, but I do think you were are out of line by telling someone not to post because you don't agree.
    I very much agree, it's still relevant to the topic and can be useful to others reading.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

it's not what I would eat before an aerobic workout. I would attempt to get some more complex carbs in before. Banana's have both sucrose and fructose in them (a monosaccharide and a disaccharide respectively) both of which break down pretty fast in the body, negating much of the benefits of eating a carbohydrate before cardio. I would go with something that has more staying power like a whole grain such as steel cut oats about 1.5 to 2 hours before. After is a better time for a banana, but only the 1/2 as you said, and I don't think you need the cereal too, that's a lot of carbs, a 1/2 a banana has about 8 g of carbs, thats probably all you'll need (but adjust to how you feel, it's different for everyone). If your intervals were max (I.E. HIIT training) it wouldn't hurt to add a few grams of protein in after as well, maybe a hand full of nuts or a couple oz of chicken breast or the like (even a protein drink would be ok, but watch the sugar, some of those things are brutal with sugar).
    Thanks for this info, very much appreciated to have it broken down this way Banks!:flowerforyou: