Root Cause?

Options
Bottom
So i found myself having an asthma attack and wondering if I needed to call the ambulance or if I was actually going to be ok... Anyone with Asthma knows that your inhaler is not something to be used every 15 minutes. I was had to use mine every 15 minutes and was struggling to take every breath. I was smoking, probably 20 lbs over weight and very out of shape.

Change olf habbits
As soon as my emergency was over, I decided it was time to make a change. I had to pull myself out of my slump and decide to make my life better. I started slow.. 5 minute jog, and it was really tough. My lungs were still angry with me and I had no energy. I never gave up and continue to improve my distance and speed. The excess weight began to come off, but there was still something that was nagging me, something that I felt could continue to drag me down. I had to find the root cause

Root cause
My relationship with my wife was never a solid one. We are perfectly happy living together, but not perfectly happy. we basically decided to gently ignore each other while raising our 2 kids. The problem is no matter what you decide is acceptable, there will always be issues that are bottled up inside that can have impacts on the rest of your life... including your weight, nutrition etc. I really think that i was depressed that I had decided to not be happy with my relationship because I had the kids... But I feel that all that did for me was to make me basically give up. I think that if I didnt have that Asthma attack, i would have continued to be on that path.. But since that event triggered my excercising and eating right, it has also triggered my need to find the root cause of my issues and try to fix them... Try to be completly happy and hopefully live a healthier overall life.. Actually being honest with myself and my issues have really motivated me even more than before..

Challenge?
Not really a challenge... but if anyone is out there who is struggling to get where they need to be, try to look a little deeper and see if there are additional issues that need to be fixed. Remember that it is important that you are happy with you... This is your only life. Make it worth it.

Replies

• RogerWillis
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Being into Philosophy I try to look at what is the root cause of things and to deal with that... If you don't deal with the root you cannot get the basic issue to solve it. We must look at the more basic to understand the less basic.
    A good example I can think of is math. You must know the more basic (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication) before you can get to the less basic (calculus, trig, etc).

I went through a similar situation and really sought to find the objective meaning for life. Why should I work out, eat health, or really do anything if there were no meaning? One may say we make our own meaning, however that makes everything relative in the scheme of things...

To get to the point, after I was able to understand the issues that need(ed) to be fixed I was able to deal with them and move on forward with an objective goal. This brought determination and true purpose. So yes, I agree with you.

If you cannot get to the root issue and understand it and deal with the it, you will not be truly happy in this life with yourself.

Thanks for the post.

-roger
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I realize that I equate my diet and exercise with how I feel about myself. When I am not feeling so happy about me, I tend to self-sabotage with my diet. When things are going well mentally and physically, then I am gung-ho and have a great self-image, regardless of what the scale says.

I have started to have to journal or post here to actually realize what is bugging me, because sometimes it is just not to plain. I have a great life surrounding me, so I know it is internal, especially because it can change from day to day. So thank you for posting this. I think we all need self-evaluation at times.
  • RogerWillis
    Options
    This is a great post. I realize that I equate my diet and exercise with how I feel about myself. When I am not feeling so happy about me, I tend to self-sabotage with my diet. When things are going well mentally and physically, then I am gung-ho and have a great self-image, regardless of what the scale says.

I have started to have to journal or post here to actually realize what is bugging me, because sometimes it is just not to plain. I have a great life surrounding me, so I know it is internal, especially because it can change from day to day. So thank you for posting this. I think we all need self-evaluation at times.

We definitely need self-evaluation at times. It often takes suffering to really call us back to stop and think about things as it did with JBOLLES. That is why in hard times I am thankful for it because it often makes you stronger and more thoughtful.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for your post! This is so true and for a decade I have been battling with my weight and many many issues later with my marriage I found the cause which is that I am not happy with myself but finally am doing something about it and everything is falling into place. Thanks again :drinker: