Which milk are you drinking?

Options
I've recently noticed there is a lot of sugar in the milk I buy, Kirkland's Skim from Costco. It contains 12 g of sugar per cup! Just wondering what you all are drinking. Are there better options out there that won't break my bank?

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    blue diamond almond milk - yummy, lasts longer in the fridge and calorie count is amazing!
  • blackchick85
    Options
    blue diamond almond milk - yummy, lasts longer in the fridge and calorie count is amazing!

i agree..blue diamond almond milk is awesome!!! only 90 calories per serving (1 Cup)
  • mitze90
    mitze90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I put protein shake on my cereal in the morning so i dont have to use milk :D
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Sugar in milk and fruits are natural and are ok for you to eat. What you want to watch and not overdue is how much added sugar you eat. MFP lumps it all together that's why everyone always breaks the bank with sugar. I for one stopped tracking sugar because of this (and I very rarely eat sweets - I know, I'm one of those weird females lol) and started tracking iron instead.

But, to answer your question, I'm currently drinking skim milk for the lower calories, but once I get to my goal weight and start maintaining (aka eating more calories!!) I'll switch back to 2%.
  • victorianjewel
    Options
    Almond milk is yummy, but has way less protein then cow's milk. I drink 2% because the extra milkfat allows your body to absorb the calcium and the vitamin D better, according to my GP.

Just my 2 cents worth

:drinker:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I put protein shake on my cereal in the morning so i dont have to use milk :D
    Ha, I've never thought about doing that - ingenious!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I could never stand skim but grew up drinking 2%. I have settled for 1% in my adult life and its a compromise my boyfriend can live with.

My Dr told me its refined sugars to watch out for, not the natural sugars.
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Sugar in milk and fruits are natural and are ok for you to eat. What you want to watch and not overdue is how much added sugar you eat. MFP lumps it all together that's why everyone always breaks the bank with sugar. I for one stopped tracking sugar because of this (and I very rarely eat sweets - I know, I'm one of those weird females lol) and started tracking iron instead.

But, to answer your question, I'm currently drinking skim milk for the lower calories, but once I get to my goal weight and start maintaining (aka eating more calories!!) I'll switch back to 2%.

I'm with you on the very rare sweet tooth, as well as the skim milk.

I do have a question about Almond Milk though. I do not like almonds. I have considered trying the milk but does it taste like almonds??
  • ddoolittle
    ddoolittle Posts: 21
    Options
    Almond Milk all the way! I use the unsweetened vanilla, only 40cal per cup. It's creamy and delicious, and doesn't taste like almonds to me.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    that sugar is called lactose.. It's good for you.. It just looks scary.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do have a question about Almond Milk though. I do not like almonds. I have considered trying the milk but does it taste like almonds??

No, almond milk doesn't necessarily taste like almonds. I bought the vanilla flavor and it just tasted like sweet milk, almost like a coconut milk. So good. You should try it! Get a small one at first to see how you like it.

I drink 2% but may switch to 1% or skim depending on the exact nutrition facts (going to look them up now and then decide before I go grocery shopping tonight!).
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have always loved skim milk and used to drink tons of it! I will never cut it out completely and just drink less of it now...but i'm sticking with my skim milk and just dealing with the sugar that comes with it.
  • lovergirlcharm
    Options
    Almond Milk...It is the bomb. I alternate between Blue Diamond and Silk. They are both great tasting.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    blue diamond (or silk) almond milk. it has protein & only 90calories.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk, worked my way down from 2% (grew up on it). My husband however, loves the Silk almond milk. I don't think he's tried the Blue Diamond, but I will certainly tell him about it (thanks guys)! Maybe I will give it a try myself...I guess the name turns me off...Almond....Milk.....
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I love almonds....but hate almond milk. I also can't stand any soy milk and I've tried several brands.

I use Hood Calorie Countdown Milk - they make a 2% and a chocolate milk that are delicious! Low calorie, low carb, low sugar! :drinker:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    1% though I try to not drink milk unless I need a pre-workout snack and I'm out of fruit.
  • Annabelle_M
    Options
    I love 0.5% milk!! I'm not sure you can get it many places. I grew up on 2% milk also, went down to 1%, tried skim and hated it so tried the 0.5% here and absolutely love it!!! When we're in BC we drink 1% as they don't have 0.5% there. (Wish they did though)
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options

That's good information. Didn't realize how much "natural" sugar was in milk. Thanks.
  • windygirl2019
    Options
    Skim fat free is the healthiest and fewest calories and still has calcium I drink three cups a day