Need to know the proper calories I should be eating, anyone?

Okay I have a question, I apologize if this has been asked many many times before by others...but I read through the posts and am having trouble understanding what I should put my calories at? I am losing weight, but am having a really hard time not going over my calories whether I exercise or not..Right now my calories are set to 1,530 is that too low?

I currently weigh 244, and I'm 5'4 not too active I eat breakfast, lunch (sometimes I skip it), dinner and at LEAST one snack during the afternoon.I just need to know if that's too low since it's hard to stay under my limit or if I should up it? Thanks so much in advance!!! =)

Replies

• MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Okay I have a question, I apologize if this has been asked many many times before by others...but I read through the posts and am having trouble understanding what I should put my calories at? I am losing weight, but am having a really hard time not going over my calories whether I exercise or not..Right now my calories are set to 1,530 is that too low?

I currently weigh 244, and I'm 5'4 not too active I eat breakfast, lunch (sometimes I skip it), dinner and at LEAST one snack during the afternoon.I just need to know if that's too low since it's hard to stay under my limit or if I should up it? Thanks so much in advance!!! =)

read this!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    If you're losing at that level and feeling like you have enough to eat and are eating a good variety of healthy foods...this sounds reasonable to me. Remember to eat back your exercise calories.....
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    The 1530 *might* be just a tad bit low, depending on your exercise and amount of lean body mass.

I am also 5' 4", but I am 53 years old with a high body fat percentage. I am currently 229 pounds (down from 249) and I have my calorie target set to 1570. Actually, I consider myself "on target if I hit anywhere between 1560 and 1600.

My target is set at approx. 20% below my TDEE and 40 calories above my BMR. My plan is to eat at this level for four weeks and at TDEE for one week, then cycle back to TDEE - 20% for four weeks, etc.

I used this spreadsheet, created by MFP member heybales, to help me determine what I should eat:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

This post tells how to use the spreadsheet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

And the post is on this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

Because I have so much to lose and such a high percent of body fat, the spreadsheet suggested I eat at my BMR. Also, because I am quite sedentary, I don't have a lot of wiggle room between my BMR and my TDEE. People who are younger, active and with a lot less to lose can each much more than I and still lose.

Edited to add links
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Bump
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Your TDEE is about 3000 calories. That's the amount you would need to eat each day to simply maintain your weight.

You can easily eat 2000 calories per day and lose weight. Try upping your calories by 100 per week till you get to 2000. You will probably feel happier losing weight at that number as well.
  • jessbixl
    jessbixl Posts: 34
    Thanks guys! =)
  • jessbixl
    so real quick..I did the spreadsheet thingy...so I eat my BMR right? which the spreadsheet says 1,674..TDEE 2,864 and daily deficit at 513
  • fresh_start59
    You have a nice high TDEE. If I were you, I'd eat at TDEE - 20% ... or 2291.
    According to Dan (of the Roadmap group), IF you have a BMI over 40, you can get away with TDEE - 30% ... or 2005 calories.

Did the spreadsheet tell you to eat at BMR? If so, I'd ask Heybales or Dan (both on the Roadmap group) about that, because that is a huge deficit.

Edited to add ...
    Also, eating your TDEE minus your cut, you will not be eating back your calories.
  • fresh_start59
    so real quick..I did the spreadsheet thingy...so I eat my BMR right? which the spreadsheet says 1,674..TDEE 2,864 and daily deficit at 513
    Wait. Those numbers don't compute.

If your TDEE is 2864 and your daily deficit is 513, that would be a TDEG (Total Daily Eating Goal) of 2,351 calories (no eating back exercise calories because those are figured into your TDEE).
  • jessbixl
    yeah I think I did the spreadsheet wrong sorry about that fresh start. lol It says it should be just a little over 2,000 for my calorie intake..I think I get it now..kind of what concrete girl was saying =)
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Usually if you follow the calories MFP gives you and eat back exercise it pretty close to equals what the tdee-20% says. Personally I feel my TDEE-20 is too high so I do more like TDEE-30. But I have talked to my doctor about it and she said that's fine due to my size but as I lose weight I will want to re-evaluate that.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    For general reference, TDEE should be recalculated every ten pounds.
  • jessbixl
    thanks again guys I fixed it!! =D you guys were so very helpful!
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Bump