shin..muscle..pain?

Options
Hello, fellow MFPers.

About a month and a half ago, I started walking 10,000+ steps a day (averaging around 11,500), 6-7 days a week. I'm quite heavy, 250lbs and 5'11", but I've always been pretty strong. Before I started I was hitting around 6,000 steps a day, so it didn't seem like THAT big of a leap.

At first, I was experiencing sore..shin muscles? When it first started, I honestly didn't know there were any significant muscles there. After a few days, it dissipated and I was fine....until a week or so ago.

I haven't really changed anything, but now the pain is coming back, and stronger than ever! I've tried a couple different stretches, but it doesn't really seem to be helping. After I get home, my shins feel quite swollen and hot. I'm pretty positive this is muscle, and not like a cracked tibia or anything - I think I would definitely know if that was the case!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? I can't really "take a rest day", as I have to get to work somehow, and I don't have a car... So a rest day would still be about 7,000 steps....

Thanks,
Taiga

Replies

• clau3260
    clau3260 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe your footwear may be causing it. I would take a closer look at your walking shoes.
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but my shoes are pretty worn out.
  • juanjacobs99
    Options
    Hello, fellow MFPers.

About a month and a half ago, I started walking 10,000+ steps a day (averaging around 11,500), 6-7 days a week. I'm quite heavy, 250lbs and 5'11", but I've always been pretty strong. Before I started I was hitting around 6,000 steps a day, so it didn't seem like THAT big of a leap.

At first, I was experiencing sore..shin muscles? When it first started, I honestly didn't know there were any significant muscles there. After a few days, it dissipated and I was fine....until a week or so ago.

I haven't really changed anything, but now the pain is coming back, and stronger than ever! I've tried a couple different stretches, but it doesn't really seem to be helping. After I get home, my shins feel quite swollen and hot. I'm pretty positive this is muscle, and not like a cracked tibia or anything - I think I would definitely know if that was the case!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? I can't really "take a rest day", as I have to get to work somehow, and I don't have a car... So a rest day would still be about 7,000 steps....

Thanks,
    Taiga

I think I know what you are talking about. I use to get Shin Splints when I played rugby at school (before I screwed up my knee). Try the link below but the basics are:

Shin splints describes a variety of generalized shin pain that occurs in the front of the lower leg along the shin bone (tibia). The pain of shin splints is typically located on the outer front portion of the lower leg.

increases in intensity or duration of impact activities, often along with a lack of appropriate recovery between workouts.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_injuries/a/leg2.htm