Protein - yes or no? Plant based or whey?

Options
RomanaW
RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
I am thinking of trying to add whey or barley protein to my diet. But I have never tried that and I am a bit worried about the taste. I don't generally like sweet or milky cocktails. I would love to hear your experience. Do you feel any difference to your physique or is lean meat and egg whites enough protein to build muscle definition? I heard that raw plant based protein is superior to whey but I don't really have a clue. What is your view?

Replies

• chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can also get egg protein shakes. Go to your local health but store and see if they have samples.
  • diabloben68
    Options
    I use whey protein that I found on amazon for around 15 dollars. I like it because its got 52g protein per serving. Plain and simple, plant based proteins are incomplete, that doesnt mean they arent good, but they are missing at least one essential amino acid. Are you planning on lifting weights, or are you just looking for a protein supplement as a meal replacement? If its just to use to replace a meal, maybe a soy protein is the best way to go.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Whey is probably superior, but you don't need to supplement how much protein are you getting per lb of body weight a day?
  • RomanaW
    Options
    I use whey protein that I found on amazon for around 15 dollars. I like it because its got 52g protein per serving. Plain and simple, plant based proteins are incomplete, that doesnt mean they arent good, but they are missing at least one essential amino acid. Are you planning on lifting weights, or are you just looking for a protein supplement as a meal replacement? If its just to use to replace a meal, maybe a soy protein is the best way to go.

I did start lifting and going as heavy as I can but it should be a meal replacement anyway in order to stay within my calories goal, shouldn't it? I am combining lifting with cardio and really want to go down on fat. Thanks for advice.
  • diabloben68
    Options

I did start lifting and going as heavy as I can but it should be a meal replacement anyway in order to stay within my calories goal, shouldn't it? I am combining lifting with cardio and really want to go down on fat. Thanks for advice.

I guess it just depends on how many calories you are getting. The whey protein I take has 270 calories for 52g of protein (hardly a meal). In your case, the best proteins shakes or mixes would be the ones that have the highest amount of protein per calories and low fat. Protein helps you feel not hungry and is essential for building muscle.

You are on the right track for fat loss and gaining lean muscle mass. I think you will find weight lifting will do more for your body than anything you have ever done.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eggs (WITH YOLKS), STEAK, chicken etc.... are my main sources of Protein. I dont mess with powder junk. Never have, never will. :bigsmile:

To me nothing that comes in a plastic jar in powder can compare to real MEAT!!

powder is for convenience and or for on the go. its a SUBSTITUTE !!!!!!!!!
    :bigsmile:

And thats the truth!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ya I agree with this. In addition though just remember that whey has a far superior amino acid profile than any plant-based protein out there...
    Eggs (WITH YOLKS), STEAK, chicken etc.... are my main sources of Protein. I dont mess with powder junk. Never have, never will. :bigsmile:

And thats the truth!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Ya I agree with this. In addition though just remember that whey has a far superior amino acid profile than any plant-based protein out there...

And thats the truth!

AND...I forgot to mention the benefits of MEAT, Seafood etz....were talkkin
    Zinc and other
    Testosterone making rich nutrients here!!!!!!!!!!
  • wstreet8110
    Options
    I have been using "Cellucor" from GNC...it's a whey based protein. As far as taste goes..."I" like it...as a matter of fact, I like both flavors (vanilla & chocolate). And w/ protein...it fills you up...I drink it @ 11:30a everyday and I'm good till around 6p. It has 130 calories and 30 grams of protein...no fillers...not too shabby in my book. That's my 2 cents on the subject...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Definitely whey protein. Plant based proteins are less bioavailable and just generally inferior.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Stick to whole food protein sources as much as possible to meet your macros. I unfortunately could not do whey so I switch between egg white protein powder and a plant based (PlantFusion) to supplement out of convenience mostly pre and post workout.
    My workouts consist of mostly weight training and incorporated HIIT training with active recovery in between (long walks, yoga, etc.)

I rarely use a protein shake as a meal replacement but will if it means breakfast or no breakfast.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Stick to whole food protein sources as much as possible to meet your macros. I unfortunately could not do whey so I switch between egg white protein powder and a plant based (PlantFusion) to supplement out of convenience mostly pre and post workout.
    My workouts consist of mostly weight training and incorporated HIIT training with active recovery in between (long walks, yoga, etc.)

I rarely use a protein shake as a meal replacement but will if it means breakfast or no breakfast.

SMART WOMAN!!
  • RomanaW
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your views.
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    I prefer whey myself.
    I use a whey shake (with water) and fruit for breakfast all the time as I am not a morning eater and get really nauseous when I try to eat eat.
    I also use Quest Protein Bars as my mid day snack on days that kick box.