Fat Girl Squatting.

Options

Replies

• AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My trainer is teaching me to have a love hate relationship with squats. I am not nearly strong enough for that weight though. Kudos!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    thats bad *kitten*!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: AWESOME!!
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    80kgs?! You are super awesome! I've only just gone up to 35kgs, my weight would be your warm up set haha
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    looking good!!

If I can make 2 suggestions...

1: try to work on a lower bar position. It's up really high on your neck, especially for a wider stance. If you bring your hands in some and pinch your shoulder blades together, you'll make a natural shelf where your rear delts and traps meet. Your arms in closer will help you lock everything in tight for support. It takes some getting used to but it will actually change your leverage some and make it easier to keep your form.

2: get some better shoes to squat in. Cross trainers have too soft of a sole. Something flat like Converse Chuck Taylors, or a wrestling shoe. Or in sox if you can't get a flat shoe.

1. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the bar isn't as high as it seems, my hair is just in the way. I posted a front view, check that. The bar is sitting on the natural shelf... but my shelf might be, fleshier? than normal. :wink:

2. My shoes are New Balance Minimus. They have vibram soles -- so they are like those weird looking toe shoes, without the weird looking toes. They have zero rise in the heal, just like Chucks.

:happy:

Cool, hard to really see, it just looks like its more on you neck. Same with the shoes they look squishy! Thanks for explaining.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    looking good!!

1: try to work on a lower bar position. It's up really high on your neck, especially for a wider stance. If you bring your hands in some and pinch your shoulder blades together, you'll make a natural shelf where your rear delts and traps meet. Your arms in closer will help you lock everything in tight for support. It takes some getting used to but it will actually change your leverage some and make it easier to keep your form.

2: get some better shoes to squat in. Cross trainers have too soft of a sole. Something flat like Converse Chuck Taylors, or a wrestling shoe. Or in sox if you can't get a flat shoe.

1. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the bar isn't as high as it seems, my hair is just in the way. I posted a front view, check that. The bar is sitting on the natural shelf... but my shelf might be, fleshier? than normal. :wink:

2. My shoes are New Balance Minimus. They have vibram soles -- so they are like those weird looking toe shoes, without the weird looking toes. They have zero rise in the heal, just like Chucks.

Cool, hard to really see, it just looks like its more on you neck. Same with the shoes they look squishy! Thanks for explaining.

I've had a few comments on the shoes, so I'm used to it.

My gym doesn't allow shoe-less-ness.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Go you!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    sexy
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You are totally right about the wider stance, it took me a while to figure out to widen my stance a bit when I started, but it made an enormous difference. It's amazing what just a small little change can do. I'm going to look up those shoes, too.

Okay, now that I can see more of your gym, I'm not just jealous because you have pretty colored plates there. That gym looks really nice and spacious!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    hatsofftoyou12081149401.gif

Ha, Love it! :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

Still crushing on you... :smile:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

Still crushing on you... :smile:

Same same :blushing:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I wanna lift.. soooooo bad.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Love this! You are so inspirational!

...and to all you women who have been saying "I want to get into lifting" um... just do it?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My fat *kitten* does squats, too! Gotta make room for the belly! Luckily the belly is becoming less of an issue with me as I'm sure it has for you! Great work!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! You are awesome!!!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You go girl! That's awesome!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    looking good!!

I've had a few comments on the shoes, so I'm used to it.

My gym doesn't allow shoe-less-ness.

It's all good, just looking out for you! When you start to move some heavier weight like you are, the little things that didn't matter before all come into play.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    effing love it - I'm mirin that depth

get it get it