Which 'fad diets' did you buy into?

Options

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Honestly - all of them. The list is too long. None of them worked. If I did lose weight, I put it back in in no time. The only thing that has worked is a moderate calorie deficit (250-500 cals less than what I burn each day) and exercise. No gimmicks. No diets. Nothing but good food, lots of good food, and moving my tail.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    None really. My mom did talk me into going to a Weight Watchers meeting once, about 10 or so years ago. But I couldn't deal with that meeting because it felt like a 12 step program. I did Metabolife and other forms of ephedra off and on for years. Lost a bunch of weight, then gained it back with the pills. They do a great job of taking away your appetite, but then you're hungry as a horse when you don't take it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I bought into the six small meals a day will keep you out of starvation mode BS for a number of years....but I never really did any fad diet like pills, cleanses, or eat this food all the time and you will lose weight...aka the chicken diet..
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Slimfast, Weight Watchers, Master Cleanse, Cabbage Soup, Atkins, No Carb, Blueberry diet and good ol' starvation.

My poor body!
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Only 2.
    I did Slim Fast where I lost a good bit of wait, because it made me actually look at calories, but didn't really understand what I was doing (1200 calories plus exercise that I didn't factor into my calories). This was after my first son.
    I also did South Beach Diet and I honestly liked it except the cost of everything "South Beach approved". I still actually employed many of the things learned, but I hate trying to "find" things that have absolutely no high fructose corn syrup and only using splenda.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Atkins, South Beach (got really sick on that one), weight watchers, Special K diet, Hoodia tablets, detoxing. There are probably loads of other but I can't remember them all lol. They all worked (except South Beach cos I gave up when I got sick after 3 days) but I always put the weight back on and didn't learn sensible eating.

This is the longest I have stayed at a weight I am relatively happy with (still a bit of a work in progress exercise wise) and I can see myself sticking with it for good. Who knew that a simple calorie controlled diet and a bit or exercise was the way to go lol.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Nutra System, Phen Phen, low calorie, all of them I lost weight and failed. Now back on here and doing it right....very slow and very cautious about what I lose and how hard I workout!

Oh sh1t! I forgot Allie! What a mess that was! Never ever fart!
  • vwkauffman
    vwkauffman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins and WW. Both "worked" until I stopped. I do believe that WW is sustainable, I just have suffered from poor motivation. Atkins isn't a lifelong diet unless you really can say goodbye to carbs. I can't.
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All of them and I gained back every pound and more. Lesson learned? Yup, this is a life style change. Not a Fad of anykind. It is my choice - healthy or not, fat or not, alive or not.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    cabbage diet, grapefruit diet, sacred heart, atkins, phentermine, fasting, bulemia, lemonade, hollywood cleanse......... pretty much ALL of them........
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Like 12 years ago I used Mini Thins to get down to my lowest weight ever. Made me super angry, and feel like crap. I've also tried Alli (gross), Weight Watchers, Slimfast, & the Shangri La diet where you drink Olive Oil. Super sucker!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of those but also one I haven't seen mentioned...Sensa - waste of $$
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I tried one of those stupid meal replacement shake programs years ago. What a waste of money and time. I shudder to think what kind of metabolic damage I was doing to myself. Especially since I didn't have a lot to lose back then.

I also believed that low fat bull****. What a load of nonsense.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting, LCHF, and fasting.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I may have done them all. One that actually "worked" for me (as far as weight loss, who knows about sustainability) was the Scarsdale diet. It helped me lose my biggest chunk of weight. But after a while I couldn't stand it anymore and migrated to South Beach....low carb....not eating anything.....OxyElite pro....excessive exercise. Now, I'm doing EM2WL which isn't even a diet!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    South Beach, Weight Watchers (which was ok, but I can log calories here for $0.00/month), Alli (don't ask-wasn't pretty), Acai berry supplements, Sensa. :embarassed:

ETA: Oh...and the cabbage soup one...that was really ugly...there were death threats. Toward me, if I didn't eat something STAT, LOL...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit that I once tried the cabbage soup diet :blushing: This was after my son was born and I was at my heaviest weight of over 250 pounds. At the time I honestly didn't understand what it took to lose weight in a healthy and permanent way so I was desperate, but determined, for a quick fix. I remember buying a week worth of food including a whole bunch of veggies to make the soup. Now, I actually do love boiled cabbage so I thought it was going to be easy but I discovered on day two that my empty stomach does not enjoy ingesting a large bowl of acidic fruit along with acidic soup. I was doubled over in pain for the better part of that day and my diet came to an end, with a huge pot of soup still left in the fridge.:grumble: NEVER AGAIN!!

I did that one too. It didn't effect me adversely, but I was so frigging sick of that soup after just a couple days it made me want to vomit.

I've probably done most diets.
    Adkins was the most effective, but after two weeks I would have killed my own mother for a piece of bread.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The worst has got to be low fat. In the UK low fat is what is pushed on everyone. You get sugary tasteless food! So glad i realised that fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do! Took me a while though!

I now eat 35%carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein. I feel full, satisfied and better for it.

Never will i ever follow a fad diet again, this is my lifestyle change and i love it!