working moms - dinner

Options
jend114
jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
What do you make for dinner? I'm a single mom of a 4 year old and I'm having a tough time thinking of new things

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I like to do a big meal on sunday with plenty of leftovers like a pork roast in the oven with tons of veggies or throw some stuff together in the crockpot in the morning like ground turkey, veggies, and bean--and voila--chili!
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love my crockpot and I'm a stay at home mom. It is so nice to know that come dinner time we will have hot dinner ready to go instead of me spending an hour in the kitchen making something. I would search crockpot recipes and start trying some of them. Good Luck!!!
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like to do a big meal on sunday with plenty of leftovers like a pork roast in the oven with tons of veggies or throw some stuff together in the crockpot in the morning like ground turkey, veggies, and bean--and voila--chili!

this is also a great idea!!!
  • elainormcneil
    Options
    I have done things like

Turkey burgers on whole wheat sandwich rounds
    sweet potato fries (baked)
    toss salad

baked talapia
    brown rice
    carrots or any type of green veggie
    toss salad
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i have a 7 and 3 yr old boys.....and eating time around my house is terrible!!! so looking for ideas as well. :)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Thursday evening I go through my 4,345,746,999 Pinterest food recipes. I pick out 5 meals based mostly on what I have on hand at home. I email them to myself so I can look at them on my phone. I make a grocery list of things I don't have that I'll handle sometime Thursday, or any day thereafter. On Sunday, I spend about 2-3 hours chopping, slicing, grating, mincing, measuring, thawing, marinating, meatball forming, putting into containers, making sauces and rice ahead of time, and sticking it back into the fridge to be made that week.

I make the recipe for the items that would taste better right away. So fresh seafood is Monday - Tuesday, and the marinated things are last because they're tastier. I have one really simple throw-together pasta type dish for whatever day I need to be even easier than usual.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Thursday evening I go through my 4,345,746,999 Pinterest food recipes. I pick out 5 meals based mostly on what I have on hand at home. I email them to myself so I can look at them on my phone. I make a grocery list of things I don't have that I'll handle sometime Thursday, or any day thereafter. On Sunday, I spend about 2-3 hours chopping, slicing, grating, mincing, measuring, thawing, marinating, meatball forming, putting into containers, making sauces and rice ahead of time, and sticking it back into the fridge to be made that week.

I make the recipe for the items that would taste better right away. So fresh seafood is Monday - Tuesday, and the marinated things are last because they're tastier. I have one really simple throw-together pasta type dish for whatever day I need to be even easier than usual.

that's a good idea!!!
  • Jussie1735
    Options
    Hi, I work evening shifts, but I find a slow cooker is damn handy for stews, etc. Sadly I dont know how chuffed your four year old will be as my six year old wont eat stew, but loves Spagetti Bol, zizzed in a zizzer, as she hates the texture of mince.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also use my crock pot...I put a whole chicken in one yesterday then I buy those ziplock steamable bags for veggies and they ate everything... I use mine at least 2-3 per week and we actually eat a lot of salads and veggies...
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I love making a couple of meals on Sunday! It gets us through Tuesday or maybe Wed. if I am lucky! It is so nice to not have to think about cooking every single night when I come home!

When I do cook my kids love Mommie's Special Spagett! All I do is take a half a bag of mixed veggies, steam them a little and then use a food processor and mush it down and throw it in any jar of spaghetti sauce! My kids will eat baked chicken so we will do that a lot and tonight is going to be burger night I think!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Any meat, with lots of greens in the steamer. Quick and easy. You can even cook meat ahead and warm through. X
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    one word. Well.. maybe it's two words. Frankly I'm not really ever sure. Anyway: CROCKPOT
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I prepare food on Sundays - I plan out the week and make a menu that stays on my fridge, I do a lot of crock pot cooking also - or i make it up on Sunday and freeze it - I use the sites below a LOT

skinnytaste.com

http://pinterest.com/rhondawhittaker/healthy-recipes/

http://pinterest.com/rhondawhittaker/crockpot-recipes/
  • phillrachel
    Options
    The crockpot was one of the best inventions for working moms. Here are a few of my recipes. I have never added up the calories but I think they are fairly healthy. Just don't add too many toppings!

Crockpot chicken tacos
    3 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 can rotel
    1 can corn drained
    1 package of taco seasoning
    Cook on low 8 to 10 hours (mine cooks on low for 8 and then the crockpot automatically goes to keep warm)
    Shred with fork when you get home. Serve in taco shells with your fixings or make nachos out of it (i'm guessing the nachos are far worse though with the chips)

Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wraps
    3 frozen chicken breasts
    3/4 bottle bbq sauce (I just cover the chicken breasts fairly well)
    Diced onion (omit if you dislike)
    a little brown sugar
    Cook on low 8 hours or so.
    Shred with fork
    Serve on tortillas with a slice of cheese

Crockpot chicken enchiladas
    3 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can enchilada sauce
    Diced onion (omit if you want)
    1 can cream of chicken soup (can be omitted so its a healthier meal)
    Cook on low 8 hours or so
    Shred with fork
    Wrap in tortillas and place in greased baking dish
    You can add jalapenos and olives inside tortillas if you like them.
    Cover with the leftover sauce from crockpot or get another can of enchilada sauce
    Bake at 350 for 20 minutes
    Sprinkle with some cheese (omit for healthier option)

I have a ton more, but wanted to shout out a few. I plan to make lots of wraps for the summer. Will use pinterest for more crockpot recipes for those. I'm going to buy bags of fajita style chicken breast meat to make those. I need quick and easy meals for when soccer season begins!
  • Pinkgurl13
    Pinkgurl13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue also... I work all day and once I bring home my 2 boys it's 6pm and I'm exhausted. I like quick and easy dinners!

We like to throw some shake 'n bake chicken in the oven and microwave some veggies and mashed potatoes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My super quick crock pot is 2 chicken breasts and a can of cream of chicken soup. Throw the chicken breasts in, dump the soup over, I usually add garlic/pepper, etc, and then cover with water. The chicken is done when I get home, I make some 5 minute brown rice, open a can of black beans and some other veggie, nuke those, then throw them all together for rice bowls. then we are back out the door for Judo, baseball, whatever. :)

This feeds my hubby, my 9 year old son, and me with usually leftovers.

I just tried it this week with cheddar cheese soup and steamed broccoli. Yummy, super easy and fits easily into my calories.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband works a lot of nights, so frequently it's just me and my little guy. We eat a lot of quesadillas and grilled sandwiches. I make a bunch of meat fillings on Sunday...taco meat, shredded chicken, grilled chicken and cut up a bunch of veggies and mix and match throughout the week. I also puree some veggies like sweet potato, carrot, squash and spread that on the sandwiches instead of mayo. Fish is easy too...Ocean Eclipse has single serving fish for like $1-$1.50 each. Marinade in the morning and after work it only needs to cook like 3-4 minutes per side. Soups are always good to make ahead. Oh, and we do lots of breakfast for dinner...scrambled eggs with some spinach and feta, pancake sandwiches with applesauce and peanut butter, frittatas.

ETA: As much as I love to hate Rachael Ray, I am a huge fan of many of her Week in a Day meals.
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    Options
    My quick go to is Chicken Ranch tacos in the crock pot - chicken breast, chicken broth, 1 pkg. taco seasoning, 1 pkg. ranch dressing mix. Cook all day. I make a salad for myself and then tacos for the kiddo. Is high in sodium, but overall not too bad.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    my daughter is almost 4 and getting her to even eat her dinner is always a struggle. She's too busy playing to eat!

Last night i did salmon on the foreman grill which she wouldnt even try- a side of pasta tossed in butter and parmesan (which she will eat) and steamed green beans.

I do a lot of baked chicken- sometimes i cut the chicken into strips and make homemade chicken strips (recipe on the bisquick box) whcih she likes.

Its most important to me that she eat her veggies and she is good about eating veggies-either steamed or with some ranch to dip her fresh uncooked veggies in.

Some nights when i am beat from work and in no mood to cook i do a "pick pick plate" for her which is a slice of cheese, some crackers, couple slices of turkey lunch meat and fresh veggies like cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes. Kinda like a little deli tray for her. She loves that.