Just need abit of advice

Options
Hi everyone

I have been doing MFP for 11 weeks now and have lost 12lb which i am really pleased about. After 10lbs the site reduced my calories down another 100 calories, which is fine by me if it helps me with my weight loss. (have quite a bit to go). What i would like to know is will they do this every 10lb and when i get to my desired weight will they tell me to increase the calories to maintain.
OR am i worrying too much. Thank you.

Replies

• leannehoggdodd
    Options
    I have lost 14 pounds so far and my calories have not been reduced - i get 1200 a day so i suppose you are not meant to go under that anyway - i think they will probs reduce it until its gets to 1200 then stop!

Hope that helps!

x
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    when you get to your desired weight you will have to eat at a certain level to maintain that weight. I don't think MFP will have you eat more calories to maintain though. I would suggest maybe starting a strength training program which does require more caloric and protein intake but with muscle gain you will not gain fat. Unless you eat pizza and junk everyday.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, feel a bit better about it now
  • Espresso345
    Espresso345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    And congratulations on your weight loss! That's terrific progress!
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    my calories are set at 1200 to loose 1 pound a week, if i want to maintain it tells me to eat 1406 - it will only ever drop to a certain level you are not going to end up with 100 calories a day!

x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    MFP won't tell you to eat below 1200 calories. When you get to your goal weight, it will only increase your calorie goal when you go into "goals" and manually change it from wanting to lose, to wanting to maintain. Then it will give you the estimated number of calories you need to maintain. This may not be 100% accurate though, so you might need to experiment a bit to find your true maintenance level.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you have less bulk to move around, and therefore your basal metabolic rate (BMR) slows MFP compensates for that by readjusting your calorie goal. MFP will never tell you to eat below 1200 calories.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the site did anything automatic in terms of adjustments like that. I recall being prompted every 10/20 lbs or so with a reminder that I set my goals 10 (20? I forget) pounds ago, and would I like to adjust them again ...

Just an observation.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have been doing MFP for 11 weeks now and have lost 12lb which i am really pleased about. After 10lbs the site reduced my calories down another 100 calories, which is fine by me if it helps me with my weight loss. (have quite a bit to go). What i would like to know is will they do this every 10lb and when i get to my desired weight will they tell me to increase the calories to maintain.

Please read the following thread, you will learn so much about the amount of kcals you have to eat to lose weight and you will be surprised that you can eat more!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I actually ended up eating really close to the same amount the whole time. The reason is that as I lost weight and my calorie goal went down I was changing my goal from 2 lbs a week, to 1 pound a week, to half a pound a week. That gave me more calories, which evened out the whole calories going down thing. I liked slowing it down that way because it allowed me to kind of ramp up into maintenance gradually.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

It will do that until eventually you reach 1200 calories per day and then it will not do it as MFP does not go below 1200 calories.

When you reach your goal and go onto maintenance, yes, MFP increases your calories, otherwise you would continue to lose weight past your goal.