Taking a rest day...?

Options
No matter what the exercise, I've often heard and seen that people take a rest day where they don't exercise. Is this really an important part of weight loss or is it ok to workout everyday? I've been using an exercise bike(about 30-40mins a day) and have gotten some great results thus far, which makes me want to continue the next day...and everyday. Should I be taking a day off from this???

Replies

• Linh_x
    Linh_x Posts: 3
    Options
    It's more important to take a rest day if you do weights so you can give your muscles the much needed recovery time.

Doing cardio every day is fine as long as you're not overdoing it, having a rest day is meant to be a 'reward' day for you.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You'll need a rest day to prevent injuries. When you're not giving your body time to catch up, it stops healing itself. Even with just cardio. Your body needs it, even if it feels like being too lazy.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You'll need a rest day to prevent injuries. When you're not giving your body time to catch up, it stops healing itself. Even with just cardio. Your body needs it, even if it feels like being too lazy.

This .

You need to take a break from cardio too. There's nothing wrong with some other gentle exercise like walking, you don't have to sit on your sofa all day, but your body will benefit from not overdoing it.
  • LDiScipio
    LDiScipio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies :)
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My rest days are stretching and cardio only... or really light weights, but Everyones body respondes different, so some of us have low impact rest days, some people have multiple rest days, and other people dont rest at all, you know your body, you will figure out what works for you. Good luck.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Rest days are really important for your body yes, but for me it's also mental. Thursday is one of my rest days and I can't wait for it! It's such a nice break - to be able to sleep in is wonderful.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how rigorous you're training is.

I don't see a need to take a rest day if you're only cycling for 30-40 minutes at an aerobic pace.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This. Whether it's cardio or lifting...

The body is not actually a machine, and even if it were, you can't work it non-stop and expect not to have damaging results.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about how much the body needs a rest day physically, but mentally I believe it's a good idea to help prevent you from feeling burned out and keep you consistent.