Does green tea really help you lose weight?

Options
I've read that green tea can help you lose weight and a few of my friends have told me that green tea is awesome for weight loss.
I started drinking it yesterday and it's so disgusting that I almost threw up.
I just want to know if anyone has any experience with it.Is it worth of drinking?

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I drink it but moreso for a hot drink to avoid normal tea with milk if I can't spare the calories. I figure it is god to try and cut the caffeine.

If Green Tea is stopping you drinking a ridiculously calorific coffee then I can see how it might help you lose weight but otherwise no.

If you are trying to cut caffeine, try redbush or I do like lemon and ginger tea (especially if I have a cold).
  • Linh_x
    Linh_x Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're worried about calories then drink green tea as it has zero calories (as it doesn't use milk or sugar).

If you're reducing your daily caffeine, having two to three green teas a day will meet your 'recommended' health limit (as opposed to one coffee).

Green tea is purported to regulate your estrogen activity which is good for you. Excessive estrogen can be detrimental. Do a research in Google about green tea, estrogen and weight loss.

I don't like 'original' green teas honestly. I instead drink a Dilmah green tea that has added jasmine - so it tastes like Chinese tea which is quite drinkable and likeable for me. Hope my post helps!
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like it. I can't drink plain water when it's cold outside so instead I drink about 10-12 cups of hot tea a day (no milk or sweetners). Green tea is supposed to be full of antioxidants so I have added it to my rotation, but if I didn't like it I wouldn't force myself to drink it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Don't drink anything you don't like just because it's supposedly good for you or for weight loss. Drink water; if you don't like water, try putting some flavorings in it. If you don't like that, look for some other low cal drinks. Your body needs plenty of fluids, but green tea is not a magical bullet.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 cups of green tea a day.

It's full of antioxidants, does it help me lose weight, no.

Karen
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like it. Oolong too. But, it has not helped me drop any weight.
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking lots of it at one point for a couple weeks. I don't believe it helped me lose weight. If it stops you from drinking other bad stuff, then yes, it might lower calories. But you could do this with other, tastier teas as well... like lemon or ginger as someone suggested.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    NO.

This. It has a few antioxidants but that's about it.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't know about drinking it straight because I have to add splenda to it or something. There have been studies shown that it does have weight loss benefits BUT you have to drink a lot of it!

However - I do drink at least one cup a day because I can't drink coffee without tons of sugar and cream so I save on those calories.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i like the green tea mixes.
    twinings do a green tea with mango & lychee that's just yummy.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-3 cups of green tea a day. I haven't lost any weight from it, but it does prevent me from snacking on other stuff.

Have you tried Jasmine green tea? It's a lot lighter in taste.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No.

But it tastes good, and doesn't appear to be poisonous, so I drink it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sure does! When you are in a calorie deficit and getting some exercise green tea is going to work well for you.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No, not really but I find it aids in digestion.

And I've found not all green teas (even just the plain ones) taste the same, I tried quite a few before I found a couple I liked.
  • timpalicte
    timpalicte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YOGI Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life works for me. I think it helped me since it suppresses my appetite. Energizes, supports a dieting program and the taste is not bad at all.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Just like beer........theres hundreds of varieties of green tea. Maybe you just need to find one that you like and tastes good to you.
  • roseolson1
    roseolson1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are health benefits. They have good Antioxidents.
    In my case though,I make it a point to drink four cups or more a day. I try to stick to that and not waver. So, I don't drink bad things as often.
    I don't drink as much coffee (not that coffee is really that bad), I didn't drink soda that much before, but now it's even less. I also haven't been drinking as much alcohol.
    So I've substituted the no calorie green tea for stuff that has more calories than I need.
    I also don't have the 'oh this coke would go good with.... fill in the blank' Or 'this coffee needs a doughnut or cookie to go with it.' Green tea doesn't really GO with any high calorie treat.
    So since I've been drinking Green tea (occasionally with honey) I have lost 8 pounds. I started doing it in February.
    I think it helps. I don't know if it raised my metabolism or not, but I do know that if I focus on drinking my 4 cups a day, I don't think about sweet treats or high calorie lunches as much. My two cents.
  • aprillaughfat
    Options
    NO!!!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 cups of green tea a day.

It's full of antioxidants, does it help me lose weight, no.

Karen

This. I like to drink it. If I didn't like it I wouldn't drink it.