Supplements, where to start?

Options
I have no clue when it comes to supplements, in fact every time I have looked through the pharmacy shelves I get terribly over-whelmed. Never mind the expense, I have no clue what I should be looking for. At the moment I follow a pretty varied diet (6 meals per day) with limited sugar, lots of fresh food, good fats and proteins. I do think I could increase my carbs a bit, which I will add to my diet from next week. What I’m really after is cutting down my body fat, so I can appear more lean. I currently work out between 3-5 times a week – a mix of cardio (running and step) but mostly weight train. Is there any reputable product(s) out there which will help me get to my end goal?

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Replies

• _Lori__Lynn_
    Options
    Bump.
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Most supplements are overpriced and overrated. The only ‘Supplements’ I use are Protein and Omega 3. More than possible to get enough of both through diet alone but supplementing these make life just a bit easier. Protein powered are an easy way to increase protein intake without any extra carbs or fats.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I would start with a multivitamin, vitamin d, a b-100 complex, zinc, vitamin c and vitamin e. vitamin a is in eggs and beta-carotene which turns into vitamin a is in a lot of orange and green fruits and vegetables. zinc is one of the minerals lacking in the normal diet and necessary for hormones and enzymes.
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    At the moment all I take is zinc, selenium (for digestion) and folic acid, but I could definitely invest in a good multivitamin. Any brand specific that you can recommend? I have tried a few in the past but they often make me feel nauseas, not sure if that is normal?
  • diabloben68
    Options
    Most supplements are overpriced and overrated. The only ‘Supplements’ I use are Protein and Omega 3. More than possible to get enough of both through diet alone but supplementing these make life just a bit easier. Protein powered are an easy way to increase protein intake without any extra carbs or fats.

I agree with this, additionally I use creatine and I think it helps, I do not use it year round, but take it on and off. Maybe it doesnt work, im not gonna stop though.

When looking for a protein supplement, try to find ones that have the highest amount of protein for calories. The supplement I take has 52 grams of protein, and 270 calories per serving (208 cals from protein). There are better, but this is a good example.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say fish oil if you don't get enough in your diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958879/

"The results of this study showed that 6 weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults. This is in agreement with Couet et al. [21], who observed a significant 0.88 kg reduction in fat mass, and a non-significant 0.20 kg increase in lean mass following 3 weeks of an increased consumption of fish oil. In their study, they added fish oil to the diet, but kept total fat and energy constant between the treatments. In the present study, the fish oil was added on top of an ad libitum diet, with instructions given to the subjects to maintain their normal dietary patterns throughout the study. Similarly, Hill et al [22] found a significant reduction in fat mass following 12 weeks of supplementation with fish oil in overweight subjects. They also observed an increase in lean mass in the fish oil group, however, like the data reported by Couet et al. [21], it did not reach significance. Thorsdottir et al. [23] recently found that supplementation with fish oil, or inclusion of fish in an energy-restricted diet resulted in significantly greater weight loss in young men. Additionally, they found that young men taking the fish oil supplements had a significantly greater reduction in waist circumference compared to the control group, or the group that increased their dietary intake of fish."

And protein if you need more protein in your diet.
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    thanks for this, I have put creatine onto my shopping list and will check out what proteins shakes are on offer.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    Go get a blood test and see if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. If not, pop a few fish oil capsules a day and save your money. I've had some great PTs who scoff at supplements beyond the fish oil and ubiquitous protein powder and I'm yet to meet a competent doctor who'll recommend needless supplementation.
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    I currently eat oily fish in my diet as is – pilchards mostly (almost daily), but also salmon (in sushi, at least once a week), would that be considered enough, or should I be supplementing this as well?
    As far as protein goes, according to MFP I’m almost always over on fat and protein content. I do want to build visible muscle though, so a protein shake after my workouts could be beneficial. My diary is open if anyone has time to look.
  • April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this MichelleKacz....a topic we all wanted to learn more about. I ised to take fish oil I am def adding it back into my diet now.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've heard that with fish oil you are taking a risk that it may be contaminated with different oil based solvents and/or PCBs (Polychlorinated Biphenyls), your body doesn't need extra EPA and DHA and it could be rancid. Flax seed oil also can be rancid. Instead of consuming processed oils, I would suggest eating flax seeds or ground flax seed meal instead and eating fish instead. Also you can get fermented cod liver oil which is extracted the old fashion way if you really want to take fish oil. It also has vitamins A and D that way.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you're already making a shake, try adding a scoop of the Vega One nutritional powder. I double dog dare you to find one with a more complete profile.

https://myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/features-benefits
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    None.

Suppliments are pointless to take money out of your pocket.

Even the ones that work have at best a slight positive benefit.

Edit - With the caveat that protein powder is NOT a suppliment. It is food. Whey protein powder is basically flavored lactose and fat free evaporated milk.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would say fish oil if you don't get enough in your diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958879/

"The results of this study showed that 6 weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults. This is in agreement with Couet et al. [21], who observed a significant 0.88 kg reduction in fat mass, and a non-significant 0.20 kg increase in lean mass following 3 weeks of an increased consumption of fish oil. In their study, they added fish oil to the diet, but kept total fat and energy constant between the treatments. In the present study, the fish oil was added on top of an ad libitum diet, with instructions given to the subjects to maintain their normal dietary patterns throughout the study. Similarly, Hill et al [22] found a significant reduction in fat mass following 12 weeks of supplementation with fish oil in overweight subjects. They also observed an increase in lean mass in the fish oil group, however, like the data reported by Couet et al. [21], it did not reach significance. Thorsdottir et al. [23] recently found that supplementation with fish oil, or inclusion of fish in an energy-restricted diet resulted in significantly greater weight loss in young men. Additionally, they found that young men taking the fish oil supplements had a significantly greater reduction in waist circumference compared to the control group, or the group that increased their dietary intake of fish."

And protein if you need more protein in your diet.

Significantly increased lean mass and reduced fat mass after a few weeks of taking fish oil pills? Riiiiiiiggght. What a bunch of nonsense.

Gee, I wonder who paid for those studies.....
  • eats1
    eats1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I use a multi powder vis and mineral mix from dr Sarah Myhill. Then all I need is Vic plus Fish oils. I used to buy a lot of supplements but this way is far cheaper. Good luck!:smile:
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Supplements I use:

Multivitamin
    Fish Oil (2 pills twice a day) for cardiovascular and SUPPOSED fat loss
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM (2 pills twice a day) for joint health
    Whey protein powder, one scoop pre workout and one scoop post workout
    ON Pro Complex protein powder one scoop in the morning and if it fits my calories I'll do another scoop at night. The mixed types of protein help keep you full and since they take longer to digest gives you a steady stream of nutrients.
    Muscle Pharm Assault for my pre workout drink, I notice a boost in energy and focus.
    Muscle Pharm creatine, about 5g on lifting days only.

Supplements are just that, supplements. If you are getting everything you need from whole food then I wouldn't worry about going over the top. I use these because I need a boost getting to my protein macro and I like the energy/focus from the pre workout.
  • mndamon
    Options

Significantly increased lean mass and reduced fat mass after a few weeks of taking fish oil pills? Riiiiiiiggght. What a bunch of nonsense.

Gee, I wonder who paid for those studies.....

You need an intake of good fat in order to lose fat. It's possible that the omega-3 fatty acids actually do boost fat loss. It's no miracle pill that will start shredding fat off you, but it can be used to help move things along.
  • pathayes12
    Options
    ughh. I find this topic frustrating to say the least, Why supplement if you eat right to begin with. You wont NEED the supplements. Eat what god has given us, you have more nutrients, protein, good fats & energy than you know what to do with. Dont waste your money on supplements, buy the right food.

Watercress, Kale, Bok Choy, onions, spinach etc... Teach yourself how to prepare it and love life. Yes there is a learning curve, taste bud curve. Is it easy? The first couple weeks are hard but determination will get you there.
  • mndamon
    Options
    Sure, you can absolutely do that.

Or you can use supplements. To each their own. If people choose the supplement approach that doesn't make it wrong and you shouldn't be "frustrated" by it. You chose your path, let others handle theirs.
  • farscape428
    Options
    Here is an interesting website by somebody who reviews the stuff on TV etc. He doesn't sell supplements. He only looks at the science on the products or the ingredients http://supplement-geek.com/ Hopefully this helps you sort through what works and what might not work