Any advice to help improve elasticity of skin?

Options
Hey all,

I have been pondering if there is anything i can do other then the obvious (strength training) to prevent me getting an abundance of loose skin. Are there any supplements or superfoods that are said to help with this issue? Any help or advice would be Great x

Replies

• NicS69
    NicS69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and would to hear the answer on this too!
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    from Live strong :

LIST OF FOODS THAT IMPROVE ELASTICITY IN SKIN

11 0 COMMENTS PRINT
    Sep 14, 2011 | By Maura Banar

Photo Credit Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
    Your skin isn't just the largest organ in your body, it's three thin layers of a semi-permeable covering that protects your other organs and manages the passage of substances into and out of your blood. Despite the apparent durability of your skin, it's surprisingly susceptible to damage, both from within and from the environment. Your body uses nutrients from the foods and beverages you consume to repair skin cells, replace damaged cells and maintain cell integrity. Certain foods might provide particular health benefits that can protect your skin and maximize its elasticity.
    WATER
    As much as 65 percent of your body is made of water, which isn't considered a food, but is an essential nutrient. Water also helps maintain the elasticity of your skin. A common sign of dehydration, explains Bastyr University, is lacks of elasticity of your skin. If you skin doesn't bounce back when gently pinched, you probably need to drink more water to plump up your skin cells. East Carolina University explains that adult males ages 19 to 50 should consume a minimum of 13 8-ounce cups of water daily. For females in the same age group, the minimum amount is nine cups of water.

advertisement
    Sponsored Links
    Natural Skin and Body
    Natural Skin Care, Body Care, for the whole family
    www.beautiful-earth.co.za
    FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
    Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of antioxidants such as vitamin C, which draw free-radicals out of your body, decreasing or preventing their damaging effects. Dr. Lawrence Gibson of the Mayo Clinic explains that while all fruits and vegetables are healthy choices, certain ones are particularly high in antioxidants that can protect your skin, including blueberries, green leafy vegetables, and yellow- or orange-colored fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are also a good source of water, which also helps maintain skin health and elasticity. Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables to round out a variety of nutrients from different sources.
    NUTS, BEANS AND LEGUMES
    Nuts, beans and legumes are plant sources of proteins that your body uses to replace dead skin cells. Nuts such as almonds and walnuts also contain vitamin E, a fat-soluble nutrient that protects your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. Vitamin E, according to the University of California Riverside, can decrease sagging and wrinkling of your skin that indicates a loss of elasticity due to aging. Nuts also provide biotin, a B vitamin that is responsible for the production of your skin cells. Beans, peas and legumes contain minerals such as copper, which improve the elasticity of your skin by supporting its structure.
    FOODS RICH IN ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS
    Foods such as salmon, mackerel, flaxseeds and walnuts are sources of essential fatty acids. These fats, which cannot be manufactured by your body, are necessary for the production of the oils that keep your skin lubricated, soft and pliable. The Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University adds that essential fatty acids help provide structure for cell membranes and help maintain the flexibility of your skin. A deficiency of essential fatty acids can lead to scaly, dry, inflamed skin that has impaired elasticity.
    Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/543443-list-of-foods-that-improve-elasticity-in-skin/#ixzz2NcJ14pjG
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    drink water-lots of it. Much in the way plants work when filled with water, human skin becomes more firm with the addition of water. Increases elasticity and turbidity.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I am using a coconut butter which seems to be helping some. I have been told that it can take up to a year for the elasticity to improve after weight loss.
  • kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Theres a young lady on here by the name of Emancipated_Tai who has who lost over 100 pounds and her skin looks GREAT... You could reach out to her for some advice. She is awesome!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    From all the reading I have done, there are way to many factors but ill tell you what i have found out.

The longer your skin was the stretched, the less elastic it is, thus the harder it will be to get it back to were it was. (I spent the better part of a decade really overweight so I had some loose skin)

The faster the weight comes off the more loose your skin will be, just because it is not keeping up with the fat reduction.

Staying hydrated and using lotion helps (I think, I use coco butter after i shower, and make sure i get plenty of water and it has helped me alot (still have the extra skin but noticeably smaller from when I first lost my weight)

Its probably not the worlds best answer but thats what I know and what worked for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I thought I heard a while back... vitamin C? And drink lots of water. Otherwise, it's mostly genetics.

I do take 1000 mg of vitamin C daily and noticed significant improvement on my complexion. I drink a lot of water also. Could be other factors.

Eta: sorry... my answer was off topic!
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    Two common tools that will improve your elasticity: Water (drink , drink, drink) Lotion (keep that skin moisterized) Exfoliate when possible and remember to keep things in moderation. Give your skin time to adjust to your changing body.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have been told that it can take up to a year for the elasticity to improve after weight loss.

A doctor told me it could take longer, up to three years.
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I was wondering the same thing.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    fruits and vegetables high in vitamin c and sulfur, silicon and zinc.

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/eating-for-beauty
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its loose because

1. genetics
    2. you lost a lot of body fat and excess skin is left there and would require surgery
    3. its just body fat.

no special food is gonna help you.

...most likely its number 3
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I take biotin- a hair /skin/ nails supplement. I haven't lost enough weight yet to notice any difference in my skin but it's done wonders for my hair and nails! I take the 5,000 mcg level once a day.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    drinking tons of water + heavy weight lifting
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have no science to back it up! But, drinking my water every day and weight lifting has helped me enormously!
    I lost in excess of 60 lbs starting about 2 years ago. When I hit my bottom weight I looked like a deflated Pilsbury Dough Boy.
    I started playing with weights around Nov 2011. Started regular training around April 2012. Today most of my excess skin is gone and my muscle tone is better than at any time in my adult life.
    Note: I also have a relatively healthy eating regime. WAY more fruits & veg than meat. (at most I have 2 meat servings per week). So, in addition to the training and water, I am certain that my diet has helped.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Water! As much as you can hold, and then some! Pure and simple!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump