Vitamin C and Potassium

Options
Does anybody know how much vitamin c would be too much a day? I'm currently averaging 300%
My main issue is my potassium per day is barely hitting 800 let alone the targetted 3500! Are there any good foods (plant based only though please) that would help raise my potassium levels without shooting the vitamin C through the roof? Or can I take the C higher safely?

Thank you :)

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the vitamin C unless you start to get stomachaches or diarrhea.

As for potassium ... bananas!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My potassium is low, too, but I think that's more of a problem of mechanics. You see, nutrition labels aren't required to include potassium, unlike fat and carbs and the like. Therefore, there are a LOT of foods out there that do contain quite a bit of potassium, but the MFP'ers out there were unable to put the amounts in the database because they were not on the label.

With that said...

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/potassium/

If you scroll down, there is a table of potassium sources. :happy:
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just to throw this out there...

Have you had your potassium levels checked by your physician? They may be higher than you think ;) TOO much potassium AND to little potassium in the body can be very dangerous for the heart, as well as other things. But, yes bananas are a great source, as well as apricots, strawberries, raisins, spinach, all citrus fruits, soy, fish...
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    And yes, to reiterate...C is safe to up the dose, but you know you have overdone it if you have tummy troubles!
  • chickpea81
    chickpea81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great replies :) That site is fab gtrigg!
    I've not had my levels checked by my Doc no, I was just going by the recommended intake from this site and others. I spent hours trying to re-work and re-work my days menu to try to increase the potassium, but as have been mentioned it's not too easy when potassium isn't often labelled. I guess a close enough estimate would be ok then. Hopefully I can get the amount up now i'm not so afraid of the vitamin c levels :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've always heard vitamin c is water soluble so you just pee out whatever you don't need, so I wouldn't worry about the vitamin c. As for potassium, I have no idea.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    Don't fret my pet! :) LOL!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great replies :) That site is fab gtrigg!
    I've not had my levels checked by my Doc no, I was just going by the recommended intake from this site and others. I spent hours trying to re-work and re-work my days menu to try to increase the potassium, but as have been mentioned it's not too easy when potassium isn't often labelled. I guess a close enough estimate would be ok then. Hopefully I can get the amount up now i'm not so afraid of the vitamin c levels :)

Glad ya liked it! :happy: