What type of exercise gives you best weight loss results?

Options
dxtra30
dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
Do you find that you lose weight faster by doing Cardio, Strength, Both, or something else? I'm losing weight but some weeks are better than others.. I'm not sure If I should be sticking to 1 exercise type than the others or combine everything.. Currently I'm doing running (Sat, Sun, Mon) and then cardio / strength (Tues/Wed/Thur).. What do you find effective to see weight loss each week ? Any other suggestions?

Replies

• NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    You need two main exercises:
    1. table push aways: When you start to get full, just push away from the table
    2. Head shakes: when someone offeres you food not on your diet, twist your head right and then left and repeat going 'No thank you'.

~Lyle McDonald
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Diet.

Exercise simply burns a few extra calories.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    I've been dieting the last 2 months and exercising..
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    2. Head shakes: when someone offeres you food not on your diet, twist your head right and then left and repeat going 'No thank you'.

~Lyle McDonald

^^^This
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

~Lyle McDonald

Fork put downs are getting popular too.
  • dalesd
    dalesd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    > Cardio, Strength, Both,

The answer is both. According to studies, subjects who did both cardio and resistance training lost more fat than subjects who did either one alone. If you have to pick one, do cardio. Those subjects lost more fat than those who did strength training alone.

All other things being equal, cardio burns roughly twice as many calories as weightlifting.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss
    Cardio AND strength for fitness
    Weight loss isn't linear - some weeks you will lose more than others, that's just the way it is
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's about maintaining a calorie deficit, which is mostly about diet.

On bad days can you exercise to burn additional calories to help get you back in a deficit? Sure. In this situation, it's going to be whatever you burn the most calories doing, which for most people means whatever cardio activity they can work the hardest at for the longest period of time. For me, that's generally cycling, but for others it could be just about anything.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Ah great tips all.. Thank you!
  • xocrystalox99
    Options

~Lyle McDonald

^nicely said!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    cardio but both are important. lately i've been trying to get in a solid hour of cardio at least twice a week, rather than my usual 30 mins
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I can't say what would be best for YOU but I can tell you what worked for me: eating clean and lifting heavy. The best thing I did was hire a trainer and learned to do squats, deads and bench presses. I do variations of these 3 times a week, and a bit of cardio in between.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet - HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. It was discovered accidentally by a college coach who had his distance runners cross train with the sprinters. They were on strict diets (not low calorie, just the right stuff in the right portions) and started needing more food to keep from losing weight. You can do some Googling and get the heavy science behind it, but this is one of the few things that is pretty much proven to up your metabolism for quite a while after you stop.

So why isn't HIIT more popular? Because it is really hard to do properly. You have to push yourself really hard; so hard that you shouldn't do it until you are in decent shape at least with respect to the exercise you choose to do intensively. Here is what I do when I can (not always able to if I haven't been running regularly) - I run a 5k route and pick a few places on it to sprint between landmarks like streetlights or speed bumps or whatever. At the end of the sprint I drop back to a regular 5k exercise pace (not a racing pace). You can do it with running, swimming and most cardio exercises; just go at normal activity level and intersperse bursts of intense exercise and then don't rest right after; drop back to the normal level. Please note that if you have any risk of circulatory problems this it not recommended.

EDIT - a recent article:
    http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/10/08/why-high-intensity-interval-training-is-having-a-moment/
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

~Lyle McDonald

Fork put downs are getting popular too.

AHAHAH!!! Fork put downs!! That's hilarious! :)
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    what you eat is 80% of the battle. if you are eating clean and within your caloric target for weight loss, then i would alternate cardio (HIIT) with interval weight lifting to maximize caloric burn.

i'm a fan of beachbody programs; insanity is a great program that will shred you like nothing else. i also like GSP Rushfit because it's intense yet short. i also lift every other day (Body Beast or P90x/P90x2)

insanity is what helped me drop the majority of my weight fast (within 2months) and p90x further accelerated my weight loss through building lean muscle mass.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet - HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. It was discovered accidentally by a college coach who had his distance runners cross train with the sprinters. They were on strict diets (not low calorie, just the right stuff in the right portions) and started needing more food to keep from losing weight. You can do some Googling and get the heavy science behind it, but this is one of the few things that is pretty much proven to up your metabolism for quite a while after you stop.

So why isn't HIIT more popular? Because it is really hard to do properly. You have to push yourself really hard; so hard that you shouldn't do it until you are in decent shape at least with respect to the exercise you choose to do intensively. Here is what I do when I can (not always able to if I haven't been running regularly) - I run a 5k route and pick a few places on it to sprint between landmarks like streetlights or speed bumps or whatever. At the end of the sprint I drop back to a regular 5k exercise pace (not a racing pace). You can do it with running, swimming and most cardio exercises; just go at normal activity level and intersperse bursts of intense exercise and then don't rest right after; drop back to the normal level. Please note that if you have any risk of circulatory problems this it not recommended.

EDIT - a recent article:
    http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/10/08/why-high-intensity-interval-training-is-having-a-moment/

HIIT is really one of the most effective ways to workout (I'm a HIITER- I LOVE IT... people ask me what about my cardio??? I say I just lift weights- faster)

But ultimately weight loss is through your diet. You can work out 3 times a day and 2 hours a time for 7 days a week. You can still get stronger- but ultimately results come from what you do in the kitchen.

this is not my original phrase- but everyone at the gym knows it's my schtick- six pack abs are made in the kitchen.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    AWESOME!.. Thanks for the links and comments.. This is good advice.. Thank you!
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For me it was a mixture of walking/running an hour a day, 4-5 days a week along with clean eating. I lost 30lbs. in 7 months. Granted, I built some great leg muscles in the process, but I never went to a gym to lift weights other than the occasional workout in my living room with a Jillian Michaels DVD.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

~Lyle McDonald

This.