New here, would like some help/tips!

Options
I would like to loose 20 pounds by my sisters wedding on July 28th. I'm watching what I eat and exercising every other day (just got started this week).

I'm finding that I'm really hungry in the afternoon and also after dinner (as I don't eat as much at dinner now). I'm having a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows as my evening "snack". It helps curve the cravings for me. Unfortunately, I don't like tea... Do you think this is an OK snack??

Mid-afternoon, I find myself hungry too. Any suggestions for a mid-afternoon snack, something to curb the hunger? Healthy?

Thanks!!

Replies

• todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Agreat suggestion would be to recruit some friends with open diaries.....people are really creative and trying to do the same thing ...it helps to be able to see what is working for them.....feel free to add me if you like and look at past msg board posts ..there was one yesterday of people looking for friends with open diaries
  • rachellefitz
    Options
    There are 90 Calorie Fiber One bars that are pretty tasty. I Personally enjoy the Chocolate Caramel & Pretzel ones. The other bars (140 calories) have a lot more fiber in them and could cause stomach irritation. The 90 cal bars have less fiber so you should be fine with them and they should keep you full for a bit. I'd also recommend fruit. Blueberries are great antioxidants and they are delicious, grab a little bag or small container and measure out how much you might need for a snack in the middle of the day and you should be all set. Unsalted raw nuts are also good, especially almonds. Be careful with the nuts though, they are great sources of protein and healthy fat but the calories add up quick, so again measure it out and be aware of what you are eating ahead of time. Good luck! Feel free to friend me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If the hot chocolate is keeping within your calories/macros, then it's fine, ESPECIALLY if it helps with cravings/adherence.

As for being hungry later in the day, have you tried eating less early in the day (smaller meals or skipping breakfast, that sort of thing) so you have more cals available later in the day when you are hungry?
  • shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    Rice crackers, carrot sticks with a salsa dip or a rivita
    l with cottage cheese usually help me with an afternoon slump. Not all at once though.:laugh:
  • Chmabi
    Chmabi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't give up if you have a bad day! Or even a bad week or month. I also have a sweet tooth, and love a bit of chocolate. I would be careful though, because the more sugar (especially processed sugar) you eat, the more you crave it. Try this one!

http://www.fithiphealthy.com/fithiphealthy/2012/01/lithe-chocolate.html

I love rice cakes and fruit in the afternoon! Sweet, and they take a long time to eat for less calories!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Try a low cal hot chocolate like options. Mage give you more calories to play with. If you are struggling with hunger, then add more protein or healthy fats. At night i often have nuts, during the day cheese. A scoop of protein powder can tide you through a hungry night too. Make sure your getting plenty of protein at your night time meal. Ideally 30-40g. MFPs settings for protein are low. Don't worry if you go over. Drink lots of water, plenty of fiber and keep the carbs sensible. I do 120. Find if i eat all the carbs MFP gives me, it messes with my blood sugars and makes me hungrier.

Zara
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like the babybel cheese, or frozen grapes, or just drink way more than you normally could stand to drink then sometimes it curbs your hunger some.Seems like days I have soup and things that fills me up alot more too.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My "go to" snacks are fruit, a light cheese stick, carrots, or a light yogurt. When "hunger" strikes, I also make a point to drink a cup of water to help ensure that it's not actually thirst.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    Any snack where you mix carbs and proteins will help you stay fuller longer. Crackers or fruit/veg with PB or hummus.

My latest favorite is a laughing cow cheese wedge with half a serving of Raisin Rosemary crisps from trader joes. YUMYUM.
  • choose2care84
    choose2care84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great tips everyone! Thanks. I think I need to plan for and bring a healthy afternoon snack (under 150 cals).