Struggling So Much Right Now

Options
I was a heavy smoker for 33 years and gave up 16 days ago, and for those 16 days Ive just been eating like a crazy person, consequently put on 8LBs in that time.

Just seem have to have replaced one bad thing with another, and its really getting me down, which in turn is making me want to eat even more.

Does anyone whos given up smoking have any tips on how to stop overeating?

Id really appreciate it

Thanks x

Replies

• AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    16 days is really impressive and some experts reckon you're through the worst of your physical addiction

It's not surprising that many of us take to food - another oral comfort, but as you don't want to gain any more weight, think about what things you like that are good for you can take fill the habit gap. People tend to smoke and eat out of boredom.

Hard to know what to suggest to you personally, but I would stick a good song on my iphone, or walk to the shop for a magazine, or anything that would distract me from that bored vibe. Like any craving, it passes when you're engaged with something else.

Stick with the non-smoking though. It's really worth it. All the best.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, chew gum, chew gum. It's a nasty habit too but it really helps
    get you over the hump.
    Also keep busy, do some cardio or dancing or swim.
    Walking didn't help me because I always liked to have a smoke when I walked
    but there are lots of "busy" things to do with your hands where a smoke would be inconvenient -
    paint, knit, cut up a weeks supply of veggies for munchies...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on becoming tobacco free. That is an AWESOME accomplishment.

When my husband quit his 2pk a day/ 30+ year smoking habit (tomorrow will be 1 year tobacco free!), he ate those little Jolly Rancher Cinnamon hard candies. Constantly for about 3 months. They are about 25 cals/ each, but they kept his mind of the smoking. Yes he did gain weight, but after about 3 months, he got burned out on the cinnamon candies and lost the weight.

Good luck to you and again, Congratulations on a job well done!
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Im on day 5 of being smoke free and I totally feel your pain. I have made myself eat healthy snacks(raw nuts, fruit veggies) and it has been a struggle but in the 5 days of quitting I actually lost a pound. Also, I have been working out twice as much because it totally keeps my mind off of smoking. Congrats on being 16 days smoke free and feel free to add me (mabye we could keep each other motivated)!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    STICK WITH IT! THE WORST IS OVER!!

I took up knitting to keep my hands busy, and always had those small dum dum suckers available to fight the oral fixation desire. And I stopped drinking for a year, so I wouldn't go to bars.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker for 33 years and gave up 16 days ago, and for those 16 days Ive just been eating like a crazy person, consequently put on 8LBs in that time.

Just seem have to have replaced one bad thing with another, and its really getting me down, which in turn is making me want to eat even more.

Does anyone whos given up smoking have any tips on how to stop overeating?

Id really appreciate it

Thanks x

I dont smoke, never have, but my stepmom does. Periodically she quits for a bit, but she struggles with it. The times she has gone off it for long periods--its usually by replacing it with something else, as you seem to have done with eating. Try replacing the eating with chewing gum or ice--two things my stepmom has done. And as other people have suggestted, get busy! Go work out, find a fun new hobby, distract your mind from the nicotine withdrawal and power through!
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Actually, one of the reasons I have so much weight to lose is because of the amount that I put on while quitting smoking. In the past, I had very little success with attempting to quit because I was so freaked out about the possible weight gain. So, when I finally did quit smoking, I sort of allowed myself to shift my focus away from my weight and solely onto the quitting process. I gained probably twenty pounds (and I already needed to lose quite a bit), but I also was much better able to work out because I could actually BREATHE :bigsmile:

The things that worked best for me, both in terms of quitting smoking and avoiding too much weight gain, were to keep satisfy oral fixations with gum or veggie sticks (or, when PMSing, Twizzlers....not the best food item, but a nice option for a "cheat day"), and to up my physical activity. Basically, when I was really craving a smoke, I would go for a walk or a jog, go hiking, etc.

I also found that, for me, whenever I got in the car, I wanted a cigarette, so I started using drives longer than ten minutes or so to call and check in with family members, which I never used to be very good about. I quit like four years ago, and I STILL do this!

Good luck, and hang in there...you will feel so much better once the "I-want-to-smoke" rage subsides :flowerforyou: