Trying to lower my carb intake. Need tips and advice.

Options
kabel4892
kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
Ok people, I am ready to get serious about eating fewer carbs. I'm not talking about eating little to no carbs, I would just like to keep it between 75 and 100g a day. Right now I eat over 200 a day. Anyone have any tips for eating low carb? I want to keep bread in my diet, but I know I cant eat a lot of it. Any snack/meal ideas would be helpful too!

Replies

• kabel4892
    Options
    Anyone? Please?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am not "low carb" but I do eat less than 200. My meals tend to be protein, veggies and rice or sweet potato/potato so one meal a day the doesn't have a starch in it helps a lot. I'll usually have chicken and salad or fish and veggies as my go to. In every meal I focus on getting protein, then veggies, then I consider my carbs as a side (my husband focuses on protein and carbs, lol) The other thing I find is snacks often end up having a lot of carbs, so I pack things like cooked chicken, or do little turkey meat loafs, hummus and veggies, etc.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine around 100g per day too.

I had a quick look at your diary, and the big carb-hitters are pretty obvious - cereal, granola, candy, frosty, coffee creamer. I'd start by finding alternatives to or cutting down on those items.
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of yummy items with low carb counts you might find useful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8MbmZepQxWdGo4bnB2QmxxMUlmTzZUTXYzMURRLWc#gid=0

This is from the keto diet. While you don't have to follow it, this is a great list of delicious and healthy substitutes you can use in your own diet.

Note: Net carbs is the total carbs minus fiber.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine around 100g per day too.

I had a quick look at your diary, and the big carb-hitters are pretty obvious - cereal, granola, candy, frosty, coffee creamer. I'd start by finding alternatives to or cutting down on those items.

Yup. I'm betting that if you started focusing on changing your snacks you will find a big difference.
  • coleybug73
    coleybug73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not "low carb" but I do eat less than 200. My meals tend to be protein, veggies and rice or sweet potato/potato so one meal a day the doesn't have a starch in it helps a lot. I'll usually have chicken and salad or fish and veggies as my go to. In every meal I focus on getting protein, then veggies, then I consider my carbs as a side (my husband focuses on protein and carbs, lol) The other thing I find is snacks often end up having a lot of carbs, so I pack things like cooked chicken, or do little turkey meat loafs, hummus and veggies, etc.

This.

Once I realized that I don't need to fill my plate half way with pasta/potato/stuffing and bread and I started replacing that with veggies...it's been pretty easy to stay within my limits. I usually have a slice of whole grain bread with breakfast. A sweet potato at dinner, etc. But I've given up most pasta, crackers, cereals, sweets, etc. It's been about a month and for the most part I don't miss it at all.
  • kabel4892
    Options
    Yesterday was a really bad food day for me. But today I am starting fresh. I know my snack choices havent been great, but i am going to start eat a lot less carbs and see if that helps me lose weight. Ive lost slowly, about 5 lbs so far, but Im going to get serious about this eating healthy thing. My weaknesses are cookies and candy :(
  • littlefieldgrl
    Options
    I eat less then 100 gms a day. bread did have to go for me. I can eat whole grain pasta once n a while. I eat most of my carbs in veg form n i watch sugar. All sugar is carbs even fruit if u can give up sugar youll see the carbs start to drop. N if ur body starts really cravin carbs n sugar i eat an apple. Even if its not the cookie i want i few mn after eating it i feel in control again. Lol most the time sometime a girl needs the cookie ;)
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Keep a supply of lower-carb snacks handy (sunflower seeds, almonds, cheese sticks, jerky, sugar snap peas, unsweetened dried fruit) .