Frustrated... weight gain with INSANITY!?!

Options
Feeling very frustrated right now - 2 weeks into INSANITY and I've gained 2 lbs while following the workouts AND the nutrition guide. My husband is equally as frustrated... he has gained 1.5 lbs. He only has about 10 lbs to lose, however I could stand to lose about 40, so seeing the scale go up is very disheartening! We are not taking measurements until Sunday, so I guess we won't know until then exactly where we stand, but both of our attitudes completely changed once getting on the scale this morning. And we both really like INSANITY too, so we are at a loss right now. Is this normal, to gain before we lose? Anyone have any words of advice with the INSANITY program and their experience with it? Thanks!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Insanity is very intense, and the workouts put stress on the body.. that stress means your body may hold water until its used to it.. Most people don't see huge progress with Insanity until the 2nd month... I know I didn't
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Feeling very frustrated right now - 2 weeks into INSANITY and I've gained 2 lbs while following the workouts AND the nutrition guide. My husband is equally as frustrated... he has gained 1.5 lbs. He only has about 10 lbs to lose, however I could stand to lose about 40, so seeing the scale go up is very disheartening! We are not taking measurements until Sunday, so I guess we won't know until then exactly where we stand, but both of our attitudes completely changed once getting on the scale this morning. And we both really like INSANITY too, so we are at a loss right now. Is this normal, to gain before we lose? Anyone have any words of advice with the INSANITY program and their experience with it? Thanks!

I saw results after 30lbs but no weight loss the first two weeks. Also, its just my opinion but I found the calorie counts for insanity to be extremely high. Also I recommend taking pictures now. YOu will be amazed.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    in the first month I gained about 2lbs and lost about 7 inches. GET OFF THE SCALE!

eta- I only had about 9 lbs to lose as well
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stay off of the scale.... with an intense program like that you will find that your muscles are swollen and you may be retaining water.... the last thing you need to do is be getting on the scale so soon. Scales do not tell the whole story.... are you gaining muscle and loosing fat... are you retaining water.... It is too early to tell... stick with it.... you will find the results, if you are sticking to the program as it was created, to be well worth it.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a really tough workout, so it's probably either your body building muscle, or retaining water, or both. You should see the weight loss soon.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stay off of the scale.... with an intense program like that you will find that your muscles are swollen and you may be retaining water.... the last thing you need to do is be getting on the scale so soon. Scales do not tell the whole story.... are you gaining muscle and loosing fat... are you retaining water.... It is too early to tell... stick with it.... you will find the results, if you are sticking to the program as it was created, to be well worth it.

This is excellent advise. When I change my workout it is not uncommon for me to gain as much as 5 lbs overnight. Its water, don't worry both of you are burning fat. Don't worry be happy....and stay active!
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree..I'm into week 4 and I have gained and lost the same couple of pounds the entire month. I weight the same amount as when I started BUT I have seen amazing results!!! My hips have shrunk ALOT, my arms are smaller, my waist is smaller, I don't have the overhanging muffintop anymore. Take photos and measurements. I took the photos but didn't measure and now I'm kicking myself!!
  • lisawhite1212
    Options
    I agree..I'm into week 4 and I have gained and lost the same couple of pounds the entire month. I weight the same amount as when I started BUT I have seen amazing results!!! My hips have shrunk ALOT, my arms are smaller, my waist is smaller, I don't have the overhanging muffintop anymore. Take photos and measurements. I took the photos but didn't measure and now I'm kicking myself!!

This is EXACTLY my experience!!! I'm fisnishing up the recovery week right now and am going to start week 5 on Monday. I've lost approximately 10 inches, lost 3.5% body fat (according to the same scale which says I'm not losing weight) and I've basically stayed the same weight. The before and after pictures I've taken up to this point speak for themselves. :-) Stick with it! I've got about 40 pounds to lose too.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I saw physical results during the recovery week. Don't bother with the scale and be patient!
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    in the first month I gained about 2lbs and lost about 7 inches. GET OFF THE SCALE!

eta- I only had about 9 lbs to lose as well

Agree!! I gained 2 pounds as well from insanity and I have about 25 to lose!!! You need to do measurements and not only focus on weight! Also, make sure you are eating enough calories! I found myself feeling tired because I wasn't eating enough!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity now. I'm in recovery week. I didn't lose any pounds during the first month, but I lost 3 inches off my waist, 1 inch off each thigh and 1 inch off each arm. So, in total just during month one I've lost 7 inches. I could tell before I measured I was losing inches because my 13/14 pants were getting baggin and I could fit into my 11/12's. So, keep with it even if your seeing weight gain I would bet money your losing inches!

I once had a trainer and she told me that it taked up to one month to start seeing a physiological change in the body once you start working out. So don't feel discourage!!
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'll be done with the first month tomorrow. My weight fluctuates like crazy. It happens. Take pictures. You'll physically see the results. The scale is just a number.
  • cwatne80
    cwatne80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the advice and words of wisdom... I already feel SO much better knowing that I am not the only one to experience the program in this way. We are going to keep at it, and stay patient. Thank you to everyone! :smile:
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Today is my first Rest day on Insanity, I also gained 2 pounds within the first couple of days. I'm really happy to see you started this thread cause I was feeling the same way! I can feel a difference though in the way my clothes are fitting, and I can already tell that I've gained more stamina! Keep at it - I know I will - I'm excited to get some serious results!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    Insanity is very intense, and the workouts put stress on the body.. that stress means your body may hold water until its used to it.. Most people don't see huge progress with Insanity until the 2nd month... I know I didn't

exactly this. i looked like a bloated pig during month 1 of insanity. i ignored it and kept at it. in month 2, i looked in the mirror and though: OMG! where's all the fat?! it was a huge difference.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    girl please. I'm on day 10 and have gained 5 pounds. AND i LOVE IT.. in my shaun T voice... Why do I love it?? I slid my jeans off yesterday without unzipping/unbuttoning them. Scale be damned!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I am on my third week, and I have put on 5lbs.... But my clothes fit better and I got fantastic results at my 2 week fit test, so who cares!!