Just started cardio exercise regimen but not sore?!?

Options
Hi all,

So I started exercising two days ago. I've been doing a moderate amount, not trying to kill myself. I'm fast-walking a mile with some running, elliptical for a mile or two, a little bit of the weight machines on my target areas - 20 reps is about all I can handle without shaking like I'm in the Arctic.

So when I'm on the machines my muscles really burn and I'm sweating, etc. (all that good stuff) I keep thinking "this is gonna hurt tomorrow!"

But I've been waking up and my body isn't sore at all. I used to play soccer in highschool and I remember waking up and having every part of me ache for days afterward, especially at the beginning of the season. I'm currently in the WORST shape of my life, so I thought all of that would be magnified by 10,000 percent, But both yesterday morning and this morning, I feel like I've done nothing the night before.

So am I doing something wrong? Will soreness come the more I exercise. (I'm starting to want the soreness so I can feel some constant daily reminder that I am doing something right.)

xoxo

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I didn't get sore at all from 60+ minutes busting *kitten* on the elliptical. It wasn't until I started weight training (with free weights) that I experienced soreness.

Also if you can do 20 reps on any machine, there is not enough weight on it. Increase the weight until 8-12 reps is the Max you can do.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you need to bump up the resistance on the elliptical machine. No one should be free wheeling it at a 1 resistance- thats not busting any kind of *kitten* no matter how fast you are going. Use at least a 5 (i put mine at 12-13)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not resistance training. Only stuff that REALLY works the muscles hard is gonna leave you sore. And if you can go for longer than a few minutes at that pace/intensity without having to take breaks, then you're not working hard enough to hit that point. Also, regarding the weight machines, if you're working with a weight low enough to allow you to do 20 reps, you're also not really hitting that point.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. Start slow. BUT Increase the duration and intensity as you feel stronger. Look into Interval or HIT training. Grab a set of dumb bells and do squats and lunges.
  • nostranded
    Options
    Cake Locker & Contingency : Thanks so much for the advice on the reps. I am so unfamiliar with the weight machines. (Always the idiot reading the how-to diagrams on them for 3 minutes before i start the workout) I will definitely ad more weight next time to decrease the number of reps. Quick question: so I'm to do 1 set of 10 reps for each machine and then move on?

Carrieous: Yeah, I always up the resistance, so I'm at least on point for that. (Althought some of the machines go up to "40" - no idea what the numbers actually mean - and whenever I see someone at that level I'm like HOT DANG, how are you even moving the pedals?)
  • h2othrower
    Options
    Soreness doesn't mean it's working. Get a heart rate monitor and that will tell you if your workout is on target. I use Polar H7 with the Digifit app for my Iphone. It even syncs with Myfitnesspal. Pretty cool.
  • nostranded
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I will definitely take all of this into consideration. I miss feeling sore, so I think I'm just gonna go crazy with the weights next time I'm at the gym :) Great advice, guys.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Cake Locker & Contingency : Thanks so much for the advice on the reps. I am so unfamiliar with the weight machines. (Always the idiot reading the how-to diagrams on them for 3 minutes before i start the workout) I will definitely ad more weight next time to decrease the number of reps. Quick question: so I'm to do 1 set of 10 reps for each machine and then move on?

Carrieous: Yeah, I always up the resistance, so I'm at least on point for that. (Althought some of the machines go up to "40" - no idea what the numbers actually mean - and whenever I see someone at that level I'm like HOT DANG, how are you even moving the pedals?)

Try to use free weights over machines if you can, much better benefit to the body. 3 sets of single-digit rep amounts is ideal.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

All machines are going to have different numbers for the resistance. My elliptical goes to 20, and putting it on 12 would be very hard to use for an entire workout unless I want to go 3mph the whole time. I use 12 for a 30 second interval where I push as hard and as fast as I can and then back off again. I also disagree that level 1 is useless, if your heart rate gets to it's range where you are getting an effective workout then where is the problem.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I usually do three sets on the weight machines at 12 reps (or 10 if pushing heavier weights).

Ex: Leg Press - 3 Sets (12 or 10 reps for each set)

I suspect you're not sore because you're just doing one set of reps. I know that the first set is easiest but by my third...I start to feel it. I alternate at times with two sets - move to the next machine - two sets - keep going and repeat the last set on its own. Basically, I leave my final set for a last run through on the machines. I don't know why but it seems easier sometimes when I do it that way.