what to do with frozen fish?

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
yes I know, thaw it, cook it, eat it... but I'm looking for interesting ways to do that

I have a bag of frozen fish, not sure what kind, the pack says "premium fish fillets" and the ingredients say "basa fillet" - do you think that's Arabic for bass or typo'd English or is it something else? It's a white fish and looks a bit like cod, but hard to tell because they're frozen at the moment.

Any ideas on how to cook them would be very welcome.

I have: a regular oven (gas), a microwave, a grill (I think that's called a broiler in the USA?) and frying pans, but I'm not keen on fried fish unless it's good ole British deep fried fish in batter which would probably be my entire fat and carb allowance for the day (or perhaps several days) so something that won't use up all my carbs and/or fat in one meal would be better.

I like: Indian and Pakistani food, Lebanese food, Italian food, American food (like Cajun etc, not McD's well it's okay but the better quality stuff is preferred) and good ole traditional British food too.

I don't like celery and consider potatoes to be a waste of carbs and calories.

I'm intolerant to sweet peppers/capsicum but I'm fine with chilli peppers though :)

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest simmering in a sauce of some sort of sauce, maybe a tomato sauce or sometning relatively strong. This will serve two purposes;
    1) to rehydrate
    2) add flavour /cover up possible freezer burn taste

Freezing fish can rob it of that fresh delicate flavour, change the texture and dry it out. Cooking it in a sauce will help to negate these possible side effects.

As for the spelling, I have no idea.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I agree with dirtnap. We cook it all the time and often use tomato sauce or a puttanesca.

Oh, and basa is it's own fish. They sell it frozen here in the U.S. and it's not bass.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Depends on the quality.
    Garden variety white fish that's been frozen too long...I usually toss it. If not, something strong, like Sun's puttanesca, is a good idea.

I get frozen Mahi from Trader Joe's and it's good stuff. Pan fried in butter with capers and wine...
  • queenbee47340
    Options
    I bake any sort of fish. I bake it in the smallest container that it will fit in. This is because i pour lemon juice over it and the bigger the container...it just burns up in the pan. So pour the lemon juice over the fish, once the fish sits in the juice (while preheating over) sprinkle a bit of lemon pepper and some McCormick's kickin chickin on it. it adds so much flavor. it can be used on all fish. Then...if my calories( at the point of that dinner) are ok...I sprinkle a bit of shredded cheddar on each piece. I consider that my... (u did good) reward.
  • Lauren2H
    Lauren2H Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mix plain yogurt with Dijon mustard. Coat fish. Mix breadcrumbs with paprika. Coat the yogurt covered fish. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Yummmmmm!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I like to make fish soup. I tend to throw in what I have but like

chicken, vegetable or fish stock
    can of diced tomatoes
    cut up potatoes or rice
    other vegetables - onions, celery, carrots, frozen peas
    seasoning - I like Italian blend

Put it all together except fish and simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors, add fish and simmer 20 minutes if frozen or 10 if not.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Defrost it.:bigsmile:

Sorry. Long Friday.
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thai fish curry is very nice, if you add some prawns or something, you'd have to find a recipe but it's basically fish, veg, red curry paste and coconut milk I think :) it's lovely. xx
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your delicious sounding suggestions... I think there's five in the pack so I can try several of them :happy:

I've never heard of basa before, didn't know it was another kind of fish, looked it up on wikipedia, in the UK it's called "river cobbler" - though I haven't heard of that either lol. Or at least not as a fish "that's a load of cobblers" is an expression when someone's lying... maybe there's a connection because apparently some fish and chip shops sell cobbler and call it cod (cod is significantly more expensive) LOL (although i think it's more likely that cobblers was originally rhyming slang for something)

Wasn't aware of the freezer burn issue... but fish in strongly flavoured sauces sound good to me... my mum used to do white fish in provencale sauce (didn't think of that until you mentioned tomato based sauces, but that sounds like a very good idea.... and all the suggestions sound really great actually! So I have plenty of ideas to work with. Thank you everyone :flowerforyou:

iuliamad - LOL hope you have a relaxing Saturday after your long Friday
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My MIL gave me this yummy baked fish recipe for white fish. In a measuring cup whisk together a little milk and flour,add spices to taste ( garlic powder,pepper,hout sauce etc) Shred cheese and add to mixture. Pour over fish in pan and add in some sliced red pepper and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until browning.
    Its not "healthy" but paired with a baked sweet potato and another vegetable it can still make a balanced meal overall, definitely lots of protein.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Basa is a really mild fish, you can do anything to it and it will taste good. Some sort of curry would be delicious.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://greek.food.com/recipe/flounder-with-spinach-and-feta-153012...I absolutely love this recipe, throw in a few capers and it is amazing
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your delicious sounding suggestions... I think there's five in the pack so I can try several of them :happy:

I've never heard of basa before, didn't know it was another kind of fish, looked it up on wikipedia, in the UK it's called "river cobbler" - though I haven't heard of that either lol. Or at least not as a fish "that's a load of cobblers" is an expression when someone's lying... maybe there's a connection because apparently some fish and chip shops sell cobbler and call it cod (cod is significantly more expensive) LOL (although i think it's more likely that cobblers was originally rhyming slang for something)

Wasn't aware of the freezer burn issue... but fish in strongly flavoured sauces sound good to me... my mum used to do white fish in provencale sauce (didn't think of that until you mentioned tomato based sauces, but that sounds like a very good idea.... and all the suggestions sound really great actually! So I have plenty of ideas to work with. Thank you everyone :flowerforyou:

iuliamad - LOL hope you have a relaxing Saturday after your long Friday

If its cobbler then it will be a fairly firm white fish so wont (or shouldn't) flake up like cod etc. Its Panganasius, a kind of catfish and is well suited to aquaculture on low intensity systems.

I like it. Treat like other firm whitefish.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oven Roasted Sea Bass with Ginger and Lime Sauce

yield: Makes 2 servings; can be doubled

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

* 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

* 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger

* 1 tablespoon minced shallot

* 5 teaspoons light or regular olive oil

* 2 6-ounce sea bass fillets (each about 3/4 inch thick)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 500°F. Mix first 5 ingredients and 3 teaspoons oil in small bowl. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Brush 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange fish in prepared dish; turn to coat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper; spoon 1/2 tablespoon sauce over each fillet.

Roast fish until just opaque in center, about 10 minutes. Top fish with remaining sauce and serve.

This recipe works well with a variety of white fleshed fish, including, sea bass, cod, mahi and others.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Defrost it.:bigsmile:

Sorry. Long Friday.

And thank the Gorton's Fisherman!
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So glad I read these posts. I know fish is good for you, but I wasn't brought up on it so I never learned to like it. Hence, I have no idea how to cook it, so we just don't eat it or try it. These look really interesting, especially the ginger and lime sauce one! I bet that one doesn't taste 'fishy'!
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I enjoy this fish all the time. I do it two ways, mainly. I lightly dust it in flour with thyme, garlic salt and pepper in it and shallow fry in sunflower oil, then serve it with half a pouch of flavoured microwaved rice, like Sharwood's Lemon and Rosemary or Mexican Spicy...or... I make a parcel from foil and greaseproof paper. Lay a layer of Sharwoods dry noodles, then layer various veg (french beans, carrots, broccoli - whatever you like - lay the fish on top, with a couple of slices of lime, or lemon. Pour in half a tsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, and a small glass of water. fold up the foil and paper to make a parcel and steam for approx 30 minutes in a lidded pan or steamer. Absolutely delicious, and very low cal If you like a bit of heat, sprinkle some dries chilli flakes under the noodles. Enjoy... :0)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would make fish tacos. Throw the fish in a skillet with chopped cilantro, tomato and jalapeno with some lime juice. Break up the fish as it cooks. One of my favorites.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome recipe for Caesar swordfish but you could use this technique on any fish. Salt and pepper the filet. Smear a dollop of Caesar salad stressing g on it and broil until it flakes in the middle. Serve with veggies, rice pilaf or whatever you like.

I also like to make a sauce of hot pepper jelly and mustard. Serve that over the fish. Yum!