How did you stay motivated while trying to lose 100 pnds?

Options
Hi there. I have lost 54 pounds with weight-loss surgery and still have 100 more to lose. Boy, oh boy, it is not easy. The surgery part of it was but the food triggers afterwards are a big challenge for me. Whoever said this was taking the easy way out is so wrong! :sad:

My dilemma is as follows: Every time I drive by a McDonald's I hear it calling my name. I'm not physically hungry but I find comfort in eating fast/junk food. Prior to surgery, I made a commitment to myself and want to honor it. I don't want to be obese for the remainder of my life. I WILL NOT be obese for the remainder of my life. :angry:

If you lost 100 pnds or more, how did you do it? I mean, how in the world did you avoid fast food or whatever your addiction was? I need some good advice please. How did you stay in control?! :smile:

Replies

• Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sure I struggle and the odd time I do have take out.. I just looked at the big picture on how healthy I would be when I do finally hit maintenance. I feel better, I look better, I breath better, I have more energy,, Keep looking at the big picture and you will eventually get there.. Good luck.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Small steps for me.
    I set a goal, to be healthy and strong , but thats long term one and i knew from experience that i wont be able t stick to that.
    I added small goals.
    Every milestone, like loosing 10lbs,eating clean for a week, going for 30+min walk everyday and i frequently awarded myself for it with haircuts, clothes, gadgets NEVER FOOD.
    Also educating yourself, readin about how human body works , what nutritieents it needs.
    And for example what retarded ammount of calories mcdonalds or other fastfoods stuff into not such a big meals.
    I compared healthy/clean food with deep friend fast foods and i'll simply have more stuffed belly for the same money and less calories on healthy whole foods :)
    Removing food triggers from the house helps too (tho now i cook for two and the other one eats all my triggers, doesnt bother me after a year tho :))

Gosh I ramble.

Set long term goal:health/fitness. Remember it. THIS is your aim. Dont set time frame.
    Set small goals, award yourself for reaching them. This is your tool to reach the big goal.
    Give yourself FUN challenges. Enjoy the trip, really.
    It was mind opening for me :)
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I normally tell myself straight away, "I don't do that any more". My brain believes it and the urge goes away pretty much instantly. Replacing a bad comforting habit with a good habit is helpful too. So when you drive past McDonalds and feel like you just have to have some, drive to the nearest park and walk briskly or jog around the park. Once your done, you most likely wont crave bad food anymore. To stay motivated I pretty much constantly envision success.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat the McDonalds. Or BK or whatever else I want, I just hold myself accountable and track everything. Food's not addicting, making things forbidden is silly, it just sets you up to fail. Therapy might help you, though, if you find yourself struggling with emotional eating. If you have 100lbs to lose you can make it fit your macros.

The pound thingy ticked over to 100 today, so I guess I qualify.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I stayed motivated because I did not miss anything at all!
    I still eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but cut down on quantities.
    Best example is McDonalds! I used to have a burger with fries and soda, another burger and some chicken nuggets. Now I only have 2 burgers, no fries, no soda and no nuggets. Cuts calories into half.
    Same with all the rest of my food. Instead of having a whole chocolate bar, I only eat a few pieces of it. Chocolate is my addiction ;-)

You don't need to avoid everything you like. You only need to avoid having it all, at the same time.

I wouldn't have made it this far with restrictions. I still have a life. I still want to go out, eat at restaurants, have a drink, fast food, dessert, without regrets!!! My weight loss is VERY slow because of this, but is IS going down.

Well, another motivation of mine is my personal trainer. My weight loss has slowed down too because of working out with him, doing lots of muscle and strength training, building up a new body. I lost more inches than lbs, and I look a lot better now that I would without all of this.
  • tianormie
    tianormie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!. I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement. :smile:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I lost 110 pounds in a year. I think the death of my mom at a young age is part of what helped me. I look at my children and I don't want them to have the heart break I did of losing their mom too soon. I knew I was digging my early grave every time I made poor food choices. Once the pounds started coming off and I was moving through smaller clothing sizes it became easier. Hang in there. Just remind yourself of why you're doing this.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The best advice i can give you is to get in to some therapy to help you break that comfort eating habit. I did and i'm soooo nuch better. Not saying it never happens, but it's now rare and i can snap myself out of it a lot quicker. I had one on one counselling and cognitive behaviour therapy!

Zara :-)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    why do you need motivation if you already cheated to win the game?????

my question is not meant to offend
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't have 100 lbs to lose but I try to break it down to smaller goals. I break it up in 5 to 10 lb increments and have a "treat" when I meet each one. A non-edible treat at that. A manicure, a new item of clothing, doing something I wouldn't normally do. That way the big goal doesn't seem so incermountible.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 54 lbs!

If you aren't already doing it, I highly recommend therapy/counseling. I know it isn't for everyone, but working through the issues that taught me to turn to food for comfort from an early age and figuring out the triggers, observing how I felt (before, during, after),etc. all has really helped.

I agree that deprivation is silly, but I do believe that some of us do have food addictions. Maybe not to the food itself, but to the act of eating, the practice of soothing, etc. I am 28 lbs into a 92 lb loss. At the beginning I did eat my favorite foods, in moderation. Now I've changed my diet enough that I don't really want the foods I wanted before.

You'll figure it out!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I eat the McDonalds. Or BK or whatever else I want, I just hold myself accountable and track everything. Food's not addicting, making things forbidden is silly, it just sets you up to fail. Therapy might help you, though, if you find yourself struggling with emotional eating. If you have 100lbs to lose you can make it fit your macros.

The pound thingy ticked over to 100 today, so I guess I qualify.

That may work for some, but not for others. I am diligent about tracking ALL my food. However, I know myself all too well. My downfall is cheese. And yes, you guessed it, cheese is good for a body in moderation. Calcium, protein, lots of good stuff. But, for the time being, I can't do cheese in moderation. So the best thing for me to do is not do cheese at all. For the time being.
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks from me, too! *bump!*
  • leigaia
    leigaia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Giving up McDonalds is EASY. I use to eat it EVERYDAY, maybe twice a day. Give it up for awhile! Everytime you think about it...think of something really gross. After a couple of weeks of not having it you will start having an adversion to it. I still eat breakfast there (oatmeal or Egg Mcmuffin) if I am in a hurry but the smell of their food cooking makes me gag.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well at first, I just cut out all the junk...went cold turkey. I lost my craving for it. Now that I'm only 15 pounds away from goal, I do tend to fit some goodies within my calories. I suggest maybe going to a support group for people who have had a surgery? I'm sure they all struggle with the same thing, and can offer some good advice. Also, post encouraging quotes in your car (or on the fridge, wherever the cravings hit you the most). That way, if you think you are going to pull in to McDonalds, read the quote, and remind yourself that you deserve to be healthy and live a long, happy life. I have a quote at my desk right now that says "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." We're not always going to eat perfectly, or get to the gym every week, but it's the not giving up part that counts!! Now that I've lost 105 pounds, I'm very scared about gaining it back, so I'm super careful. But like I said, I count my calories and I work out as much as I can. Just do the best you can, focus on the benefits of eating well and working out, and you WILL get there. Feel free to add me! Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Why do you think she cheated? We all struggle with weight loss, sometimes people just need additional "tools" to get them to where they want to be. Very judgmental. This isn't a race against other people, but a game within ONESELF...how can she be cheating when it's her own, PERSONAL struggle?
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting past the demons in your head! the ones that says "ITS OK TO EAT A FEW M&M's, a cheeseburger, chips, fries," or whatever your comfrot food is. Your body is not hungry, its your head! I am finally starting to get a grasp on it myself. But it is an every day battle. And its a matter of working every day to maintain the plan you and your surgeon has laid out for you. Good luck to you and fight the good fight.
  • TinaTeeTee
    TinaTeeTee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The old saying, you are what you eat keeps me motivated! I love soft pretzels and being from south hpilly, well, let's just say it showed. Until I started looking at all the people in line at Philly pretzel factory and realized how they resembled the soft pretzels they were about to buy, full of dough! I haven't had a soft pretzel in a long time.

You're doing great! keep up the good work!
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options

And here we go with the ignorance!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

And here we go with the ignorance!

it is far from ignorant; i was on my death bed from weight was cooped up in a hospital for 9 days with tubes and all kinds of other **** coming out of my body but i didnt take the easy way out.

so i want to know why does one need to be motivated when they have had surgery. isnt the hard part done?