Brussels Sprouts Newb.

Options
Femmekid
Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
So I've never eaten Brussels sprouts before...:embarassed:

What would be the best way to have them for the first time? Recipes wanted!

Replies

• Femmekid
    Options
    bump.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper :tongue:
  • Femmekid
    Options
    This sounds simple enough. I love asparagus the same way. I will definitely have to try that.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I usually just steam mine
  • pamruns5
    pamruns5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ditto on the roasted. Tried it for the first time about two months ago. Yum!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I steam mine, sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan/Romano cheese.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    1) Cut in half and roast in the oven with a little cooking spray and lots of spices
    2) Cut in half and pan-fry in oil or Earth Balance with garlic
  • Femmekid
    Options
    Thanks!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like them best pan-seared. Remove the base and cut each sprout in half length-wise. Cook in olive oil, cut side down, over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper, stirring/flipping a couple times.
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half and toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, and a little red pepper flakes. Roast for about 20-25minutes on 400. They get all soft in middle but crunchy on the outside - I could eat the whole tray!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

^^ this...yummy
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from the frozen ones, they're awful! Always buy them fresh.

I like to boil mine until they get soft, then I cut them in half and sautee them in butter until they caramelize and sprinkle them with salt -- yum!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    if you don't mind the sodium, I love sauteing them with ginger, garlic, and soy sauce
  • MichelleRoseMurphy
    MichelleRoseMurphy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Brussels sprouts...steamed, roasted, in stews...whatever. I like them with garlic.
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    yum yes roasted.. with olive oil sat pepper...untill they are darker in color..they taste soo good
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Never buy the frozen ones!

I like to cut the end off, cut them in half and then kind of "flake" them so they're in pieces. I mix with 1 tbsp of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper & then roast until they are nice an caramelized/browned. Sometimes, if my DH isn't going to eat them, I mix in 1 tbsp of maple syrup when they have about 10 minutes left to go. They are a revelation and nothing like the yucky boiled sprouts that my mom used to make!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Roasted or fried in the pan is great. Salt, pepper, the red pepper flakes are all good.

My favorite is a lot of fresh basil. The basil has a slightly sweet flavor to offset the bitter sprout = delish!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Agree with roasting them. Coat well with olive oil and whatever spices you like (I like a mix of cayenne, black pepper, and garlic). Roast in a hot oven until carmelized, but not overly mushy.

I also saw Giada shred them and saute in olive oil with finely chopped onion, then toss with pasta and parmesan cheese. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm going to because it looked declicious. I may even try using spaghetti squash instead of pasta.