Salad Dressing & Counting the Calories

Options
I had a watermelon, red onion and feta cheese salad for lunch. I measured everything before eating. My dilemma comes with the salad dressing. I measured it, logged it and put 3T on my salad. After eating I have at least a tablespoon left in the bottom of my bowl I'm just going to throw out. Since I didn't actually put it in my mouth should I measure it before I throw away and subtract that from what I already logged in to MFP?

Replies

• oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    since its fairly difficult to quantify the dressing left over accurately I just consider it eaten.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I also count what's left over. Better to over log than under log calories.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this happens to me a lot with hummus. I just leave it as is.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In theory, you could tilt the bowl, and pour the remainder into a measuring spoon. This would give you an idea of portions not used.

That is just from my science-ish mind, if you REALLY want to form as accurate logging as possible. I get carried away sometimes and log tap water just in case it has calories.

Other than that, just log three and don't worry about it, like everyone else said.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    FYI--your salad sounds DELICIOUS! What kind of dressing did you use?
  • maryann92201
    maryann92201 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    FYI--your salad sounds DELICIOUS! What kind of dressing did you use?

Newman's Own Lite Balsamic
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Better to be over than under. Leave it.
  • maryann92201
    Options
    I actually did measure it and I had 1.5T leftover. I think I'm gonna go with the just leave it theory. I do tend to taste while cooking that I don't log cause I can't quantify it. So this will cover some of that overage.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    But now you know for next time that you only need to put half as much dressing on. :)
  • maryann92201
    Options
    But now you know for next time that you only need to put half as much dressing on. :)

Absolutely, I'm new to making this one. A friend recommended it to me. This is only the 2nd time I've made it and both times had too much dressing. Cut back each time. Not only will it save me calories but money also.
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i'd leave it too. just to share with everyone a few months ago i found in the refrigerated section in produce a wonderful selection by Bolthouse Farms a greek yogurt dressing, ranch, bleu cheese, thousand and ceaser.

thought i'd pass my great find along if anyone cares.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me I just keep it counted, better to have it there in case something else is off...to cover for a few extra calories.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    i'd leave it too. just to share with everyone a few months ago i found in the refrigerated section in produce a wonderful selection by Bolthouse Farms a greek yogurt dressing, ranch, bleu cheese, thousand and ceaser.

thought i'd pass my great find along if anyone cares.
    I've had the Bolthouse and agree it's pretty good!!
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It does sound delicious. I would just leave it at the 3T. . Watermelon is very watery and the juice tents to collect in the bottom of the bowl. What you think is dressing might be dressing and watermelon juice. I usually add the extra to make up for calorie inaccuracies.