Looking for

Options
ETA: Oops, I forgot the rest of the title..

Hey all,

I'm a avider MFPer and freelance writer. I'm currently working on a story for Yahoo! Shine on how to dress your body while losing weight. I'm looking for women to help me answer a few questions:

1. How did you handle it when your clothes got too big? Did you buy new stuff, alter your clothes or just deal with it?

2. If you did shop, what was your strategy? i.e. Did you only shop at Goodwill? Look for stuff that was a smidge too tight to "grow" into?

3. What tips do you have for other women going through the same thing?

You can either answer here or PM me with answers and I might use your quote in the article. If I do, I'll need your name and city/state.

And guys: I know you have plenty to share, but this article is focused toward women.

Thanks! I'm hoping to learn a lot of new tips that I can use both in the article and in my WL journey.

Replies

• hnuzzolilo
    hnuzzolilo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ETA: Oops, I forgot the rest of the title..

Hey all,

I'm a avider MFPer and freelance writer. I'm currently working on a story for Yahoo! Shine on how to dress your body while losing weight. I'm looking for women to help me answer a few questions:

1. How did you handle it when your clothes got too big? Did you buy new stuff, alter your clothes or just deal with it?

2. If you did shop, what was your strategy? i.e. Did you only shop at Goodwill? Look for stuff that was a smidge too tight to "grow" into?

You can either answer here or PM me with answers and I might use your quote in the article. If I do, I'll need your name and city/state.

And guys: I know you have plenty to share, but this article is focused toward women.

Thanks! I'm hoping to learn a lot of new tips that I can use both in the article and in my WL journey.

1 - I traded with my friends. I gave someone my "bigger" stuff, and she gave me her "bigger" stuff (which happens to be my "smaller" size)

2 - I did do some shopping. Mainly at Salvation Army, Savers, or Goodwill.

3 - Invest in main peices. It makes you feel better when you have clothes that fit.

Heidi - Worcester, MA
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm not losing weight (actually getting bigger with some muscle growth, lifting of the behind) but I alter my clothes and shop at thrift stores or hit the good sales at the mall. I usually won't spend more than $20 for a pair of pants or more than $10 for a shirt. I can often make skirts and dresses and I make them out of either a stretchy material or with an elastic waistband so they can easily grow/shrink with me.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I sucked it up until it was just not feasible to wear the too big clothes for the most part. I could go longer on tops than I could on pants. I also got some "hand me downs from a friend at work and some stuff from my sister that she couldn't wear anymore after she gained weight.

I mostly shopped at Goodwill, especially in the beginning. I think I ended up sort of doing and "every other size" sort of thing. I'd go down a size, shop at Goodwill, then the next size, I'd get new clothes. But, I am cheap in general, and I knew I'd be going down even more sizes, so I scoured sale racks. I did need good work clothes, so that played into it, too.

Get basic pieces. Invest in a belt. If you can sew, take in your own clothes. (I cannot sew, but if I could, I would do this.) If you have a job where you need to look professional, go ahead and buy nier new stuff. You'll feel miles better. I hate feeling sloppy at work. I also wore a lot of stretchy/sweat pants and baggie sweatshirts at home. I can't do that with pants as much anymore, but I still have some large sweatshirts I wear. Use your money for nicer stuff for work, a pair of good fitting jeans and a nice top or two for going out until you hit your goal. Don't be afraid to splurge here and there, it's nice to feel "pretty" and not only wear Goodwill/hand-me-downs!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    At first, I enjoyed the extra room in my jeans and shirts. It was nice to have people ask me if I was losing weight and it was nice to have tangible evidence of my hard work. But thrifting is a wonderful strategy and you can really find some nice pieces.

Thrift stores, Target, and Old Navy all have great deals on clothes. If I need something nicer than those options, I'll go to Ross or a similar store. I buy things that fit at the time since I'm not spending tons anyway.

Enjoy the ride! Don't feel guilty for needing to buy new clothes, especially if you're experiencing a large weight loss. You'll do all the work to lose the weight and not feel attractive because you're drowning in your clothes.
    www.refashionista.net is a GREAT website and this lady shows how to refashion thrifted and gifted items into new-to-you pieces.

Bonita
    Las Vegas, NV
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies, ladies! Keep 'em coming.