mental or phisical "toughness"?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I believe it is mostly mental.

Physically I could run a marathon if I wanted to...but I just hate running and I get SO. BORED. so mentally I cannot do it.

Mentally I can get through sets of weights because I love lifting!!! I even love lifting heavier than I think I can (and sometimes I get beat out on the physical side LOL) because I think I can do it!!
  • Celiz
    Celiz Posts: 1
    Options
    For me, mental. The whole trying to eat healthy, lose weight, and exercise all depends on my mental state. I only succeed when I keep telling myself mentally that I can do it.
  • raquel424
    raquel424 Posts: 38
    Options
    Like you, my mind wants to give up before my body actually collapses.....that's why I do better when I have a motivator/trainer.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am MENTAAAAAAL. (oooh.. wrong thread)

I wanted to give up yesterday on my run and then realized.. I'm not out of breath and my legs are fine. WTF is my problem? Pushing through that is hard but I always have to do that check-in so I don't stop.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the exercise (and, sometimes, the day). I am good at talking my body into actually going to the gym or dojo when my body wants out. On the other hand, I often don't give 100% (to the point of complete exhaustion on all sets or intervals) because my mind tells me that I'm working out for over 7 hours this week and I don't need to make myself incredibly sore the next day every single time. Showing up for 7 hours is the only battle I feel like I need to win.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    i didnt read this, i was just so angry about the misspelled word that i had to say something!!253
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    haha
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Mental, most def I have to give myself a little pep talk as i'm doing the last 5 minutes or so.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    It depends.

If I'm running, it's always mental. When I'm lifting, it's physical. I push hard with lifting and my mind always want to keep going, get stronger, go heavier but sometimes my body just says hell no.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Totally mental!

Actually, Mental when running or lifting. But when it comes to Mountain climbing, Ill keep going until I fall off ;)