Pain is weakness leaving the body

Options
I love this quote because it applies not only to physical pain, but to emotional, mental, spiritual pain as well. Every time I have faced adversity and pain, I have emerged stronger at the other end.

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There are many great perspectives of pain. The one that often comes to mind for me is the philosophy that we should not fear pain or death but we should be afraid of the fear of pain or death. That famous quote attributed to many great people of history..."We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Thanks for your words of inspiration.:smile:
  • itsavilesecurity
    Options
    really inspiring! :glasses:
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pain is pain... it can be an warning that something is deadly wrong[chest pain can be heart attack], or act as a barrier in saying I can't go farther.

It is up to you to click the ignore button or not.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I very much like that quote. It puts things in perspective. Thanks
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    How can you tell the difference between pain when you should stop, and pain when you should keep going. I struggle with this.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How can you tell the difference between pain when you should stop, and pain when you should keep going. I struggle with this.

What kind of pain it is... and where is it...

I normally follow something like this.
    Chest pain; stop and see doctor
    Joint pain: Stop
    Sharp, instant, and debilitating; above a 5[feel like you need a pain med or got to the hospital levels] on your own scale of pain ...STOP!!!

Dull pain in the muscles you are using, continue just take a day or two off following.

Use your head, only you know your body.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

/rant

What can I say about this quote? Well let me take a stab at it.

It is an unmitigated steaming pile of shyte of such magnitude that you'd need a team of Sherpas to scale it. It's the kind of nonsensical unimaginative soundbite that I can imagine a marketeer standing up and attempting to motivate a team with; a team who'd really rather take the soundbite, write it on a whiteboard with a big sharpie, fold the whiteboard up and ram it up his *kitten* so far that you could draw doodles on his tongue.

Let me address the ways in which it is as shyte as being dumped in a lake of shyte with only a turd as a paddle:

1. Pain is not a good thing. Pain is our body's way of telling us that something has gone fairly tits up. It's a bloody great red flag waving warning. Hold your hand over a burning candle and, unless you're a complete nutjob, you don't think "I'm getting stronger", you think "I'm getting 2nd degree burns."
    2. If you can lift a pig above your head, does that make you strong and me weak, or you a pork bothering psycho and me mentally balanced?
    3. If you suffer a psychological trauma - perhaps you've suffered domestic abuse, perhaps a loved one has committed suicide, perhaps you're enduring a chronic illness - if the mental pain leaves you suffering from depression or PTSD does that mean you've failed because the 'weakness' didn't leave?

I treat most soundbite 'motivational' snippets with lip-curling disdain, but this one is particularly moronic.

/endrant
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

/rant

It is an unmitigated steaming pile of shyte of such magnitude that you'd need a team of Sherpas to scale it. It's the kind of nonsensical unimaginative soundbite that I can imagine a marketeer standing up and attempting to motivate a team with; a team who'd really rather take the soundbite, write it on a whiteboard with a big sharpie, fold the whiteboard up and ram it up his *kitten* so far that you could draw doodles on his tongue.

Let me address the ways in which it is as shyte as being dumped in a lake of shyte with only a turd as a paddle:

1. Pain is not a good thing. Pain is our body's way of telling us that something has gone fairly tits up. It's a bloody great red flag waving warning. Hold your hand over a burning candle and, unless you're a complete nutjob, you don't think "I'm getting stronger", you think "I'm getting 2nd degree burns."
    2. If you can lift a pig above your head, does that make you strong and me weak, or you a pork bothering psycho and me mentally balanced?
    3. If you suffer a psychological trauma - perhaps you've suffered domestic abuse, perhaps a loved one has committed suicide, perhaps you're enduring a chronic illness - if the mental pain leaves you suffering from depression or PTSD does that mean you've failed because the 'weakness' didn't leave?

I treat most soundbite 'motivational' snippets with lip-curling disdain, but this one is particularly moronic.

/endrant

So glad to be able to make somebody's day. :heart:
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

/rant

/endrant

Wow, MsPudding. Whereas I get where you're coming from if you take that quote out of the context in which it was intended, do you really think that was the OP's intent? I think in relation to the fitness journey (we are on a fitness site) and using a little common sense, the "pain" being "overcome" is that one would normally expect when using body parts that have been left unused too long. In addition, it speaks of the fear or low self-esteem or whatever emotion that comes with not loving one's own body with confidence, and replacing that all with new found self-confidence and pride in one's accomplishments on this fitness journey.

Your response is probably perfectly appropriate somewhere... just not really here.

Just sayin'.
  • MsPudding
    Options
    Wow, MsPudding. Whereas I get where you're coming from if you take that quote out of the context in which it was intended, do you really think that was the OP's intent? I think in relation to the fitness journey (we are on a fitness site) and using a little common sense, the "pain" being "overcome" is that one would normally expect when using body parts that have been left unused too long. In addition, it speaks of the fear or low self-esteem or whatever emotion that comes with not loving one's own body with confidence, and replacing that all with new found self-confidence and pride in one's accomplishments on this fitness journey.

Your response is probably perfectly appropriate somewhere... just not really here.

Just sayin'.

My post isn't an attack on the OP - I don't know her from a barrel of artichokes so can declare myself completely dispassionate where she's concerned. The quote was put up for comment and I commented. If the only comments wanted were from people who like the quote then that should have been specified in the opening post.

If you'd like to look at the quote purely through the lens of fitness then it's still off the wall in my view. You don't *need* to experience pain to get fit any more than you need to jab needles in your arm to get good at sewing. Again, it's just a meaningless soundbite.

By the way...and sorry in advance...but another thing that gets right on my tits is this current trend of adding a suffix of "Just sayin" to any opinion. It's superfluous since it's self-evident - you have 'just said'; it doesn't need pointing out. It's the literary equivalent of walking around with a speech bubble drawn on a huge banner than you hold up every time you start talking.
  • MsPudding
    Options
    So glad to be able to make somebody's day. :heart:

You actually did - I bloody love a good rant ;-)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You actually did - I bloody love a good rant ;-)

That makes two of us.

Just sayin.

*ducks*
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    To each her own. Every time I've faced adversity and pain, I've made bad decisions and ended up injured and having to take months off to heal. My journey is to learn to make what I love sustainable over the long haul.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

/rant

/endrant

You had me at "with only a turd as a paddle". :laugh: