Almond milk

Options
timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
Hope this isn't tooo old of news...but has anyone tried Silk almond milk? I'm sure there are other brands...but OH MY GOSH!!!! it's like dessert in a cup (if you love almonds like I do)....They also make the almond milk with vanilla but I only want the taste of the almonds.....It is good over cereal, over ice , I bet a little would be good over fruit also....anyway, thought I would pass it on...

P.S. only 60 cal, 2.5g fat, (but only 1g fiber, 1g protein:ohwell: ) per 8oz. anyway, nice change from just plain milk.

Replies

• dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    Love almond milk! It is all I will use for cereal, oatmeal, smoothies-vanilla flavor adds to the almond taste-yum!! I have even put it in my coffee..Made the mistake of letting my husband try and now he loves it, too, which means that we will need to buy it more often!
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love the new Silk Almond milk! It tastes great and my kids love it.
  • RhondaCrombie
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE it!:heart:
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i drink the vanilla flavored.

it's awesomeness in a cup! LOL
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Silk is our favorite as well. We've tried the other brands and Silk tops them all.
  • Lightonmyfeet
    Options
    I'm drinking Blue Diamond Original Almond milk. Haven't tried Silk, but I probably should...

It tastes sooo good for only 60 calories. Especially with cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. :love:
  • tkeller3
    tkeller3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth from Silk to Almond Breeze depending on sales/coupons. I really like the silk the best, it is great! I have to drink it as I can't do dairy.
  • tammyrae78
    Options
    Where do you find it? I looked at our local Wal-Mart but they didn't carry it.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking some now! :drinker:
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Havent tried it, but have heard a lot of people say its good. I will have to try it.
  • shavasana
    shavasana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I have heard people talk about this, but never understood the value. I have looked on cartons of this before and was concerned about the fat content.

Why would I drink almond milk over Skim Milk? Is it more for those who are lactose intolerant?
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I have heard people talk about this, but never understood the value. I have looked on cartons of this before and was concerned about the fat content.

Why would I drink almond milk over Skim Milk? Is it more for those who are lactose intolerant?

I still use United Dairy ultra skim fat free milk for cooking and most general uses...but for a change or a snack.....OH MY GOSH are you missing something if you don't try it.....it is soooo creamy and delicious!!! But I guess it's not for everyone....I just love almonds!!
  • shavasana
    shavasana Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I still use United Dairy ultra skim fat free milk for cooking and most general uses...but for a change or a snack.....OH MY GOSH are you missing something if you don't try it.....it is soooo creamy and delicious!!! But I guess it's not for everyone....I just love almonds!!

So its an apples to apples thing between Skim and Almond Milk? You just switch it out for a change?
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options

So its an apples to apples thing between Skim and Almond Milk? You just switch it out for a change?

The fat in the almond milk comes from the almonds themselves and is considered to be a good fat, so don't let that worry you. Almond milk is for anyone who wants to drink it and, while a great choice for those who are lactose intolerant (or who are vegan), one does not need to be lactose intolerant (or vegan) to enjoy it. It is definitely not an apples to apples thing between skim & almond milk if you're talking strictly nutrition. There are many nutrients in dairy milk that are not present in almond milk and there are nutrients in almond milk that are not present in dairy milk. That being said, though, one can generally use almond milk in place of dairy milk for things like cereal, smoothies, just plain drinking, and so on. I've even used it in baking and cooking, but I would guess that its successful use in baking and cooking depends on the item that one is baking or cooking (sometimes, a person just can't substitute without the recipe turning out yucky).

By the way, if you use the unsweetened almond milk (I use Almond Dream), it's only 30 calories per 8 ounce serving. I don't miss the sweetener at all, but some people prefer it.

My Wal-Mart carries the original Almond Dream (not the unsweetened kind). It's in the (small) grocery section where the soy milk, rice milk, and organic cereals are located. You may want to check there for it.
  • badrianne
    badrianne Posts: 101
    Options
    I love this milk. I cook my oatmeal in it. Then I add 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/8 cup Bear Naked Vanilla Almond Granola on top. I cannot describe how good this is!!
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Almond milk really tastes good, to me at least, but it doesn't have the protein or calcium of "real" milk, so one would need to get those important nutrients from other foods. Women need calcium, so if one substitutes almond milk for dairy, be sure to take supplements or eat calcium rich foods.

Having said that, I love it in my cereal or in smoothies. I'm not sure about cooking with it. Has anyone tried substituting it for milk in recipes?