Home workouts anyone?

Options
My situation: I have access to a really nice gym here on campus, BUT we have to pay during the summer months (no no). Access to the gym is free in the fall, so I plan to utilize the gym then...WHEN IT'S FREE. Until that time comes... I work out in my room to DVDs/YT vids, dance, take brisk walks, lift 10 lb weights, & get on the treadmill @ my aunts sometimes. It's working so far (of course in conjunction with my healthy eating).

I was just curious about those (like myself) who don't go to gyms. What do you do? DVDs? Weights? Clean? Dance? Dance WHILE cleaning? :happy:
Please share so I won't feel weird.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    go for a bike ride, walk, run all outside. I cant afford the gym so I have to do it all at home. I have some simple weights I got at the thriftstore (just 10lb dumbells) and use those for toning.
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have turbo jam, jillians 30 day shred, taebo, and pilates...I also have p90x but I haven't touched that one YET.lol I think home workouts work just as well as the gym girl. Incorporate walking with them and u'll be JUST FINE. I go to the gym bc of the classes and I LOVE the eliptical..other than that..I'd be home bound too. =)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym, nor do I have the desire to have other people watching me while I am working out! HA!
    I walk almost every night. I do DVD's, Jillian Michaels kicked my butt tonight. Most of the DVD's that I do are both cardio and weight. It can be done with out the gym! Just keep pushing play!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I made it a point not to pay too much for this weight loss. .I have been doing it from home the whole time. I started with buying a beach cruiser bike that I could cruise around town in... I got a low-impact aerobics DVD and di that for about 2 months. I then bought the Biggest Loser Cardio Max.. After that, I have been running.. I alternate though.. Sometimes I will do my Biggest Loser dvd.. After my cardio, I lift 8 lbs weights for anywhere from 10-15 minutes, and then I stretch out my whole body.. My work outs tend to be about 50-70 minutes. I also naturally wake up early in the morning, so I get all of this done before 8am.. So far it's worked for me!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    since i can't afford a gym i have my own home gym with weights a weight bench (my roommate has the total gym machine). i also have dvd's such as insanity & p90x. i'm currently doin insanity then i'll do the p90x. dvd's is the way 4 me 2 go since i feel SO much more comfortable in my own home. altho i would absolutely LOVE :heart: 2 take spinnin classes again!!

i also run outside with my nike +
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    On my day off from "official" workouts, I draw the shades, turn up my iPod and have a crazy cardio housecleaning dance party. In two hours, I torch over 600 calories doing a deep, scrubby clean of my house. At the end, I celebrate my newly clean shower by getting the sweat off.

Also, it sounds weird, but google "prison workout" and you'll find a deck of cards push up workout, and other great body weight workouts that take zero money and little space.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have a FitDeck, Jillian Michael DVDs, P90X and soon Insanity. JM and P90X are a mix of weights and cardio; Insanity is all body-weight based. I also run on a track or the golf course trails on base 2 days a week.
  • badrianne
    badrianne Posts: 101
    Options
    I work out at home as well. I just graduated from school and refuse to pay for the off quarter gym membership too! I have two Jillian Michaels DVDs, No More Trouble Zones and 30 Day Shred. I also have a Tae Bo DVD set. I was suprised how tough a workout from home could be. I work up a serious sweat. I would say get one or two of the Jillian Michaels disc. They are quite cheap, but give you more than your money's worth!
  • waymethb
    waymethb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do Barry's Bootcamp DVD's and have been since March 22nd and have lost 23lbs! and a ton of inches! So it seems home workouts work for me!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm all about DVD's....30 day shred, banish fat boost metabolism, no more trouble zones (all Jillian) Then the Biggest Loser cardio max and some kettlebells....gets 4 or 5 and you can keep it switched up so much that you're only doing one of each a week so it keeps it from getting old :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    There is soooo much that you can do at home! Most of my workouts take place in the one-room condo that I share with my boyfriend. All of the equipment fits in the hall closet and I have been able to get VERY effective workouts. And typically in less time than going to the gym, getting to the locker room, changing, waiting to use a particular machine or weight bench, blah blah blah.

Here is the very best-kept, FREE fitness secret out there: http://www.bodyrock.tv (Okay, it isn't a secret, but I cannot recommend these workouts enough. They are quick but total butt-kickers! Most of them use very minimal equipment.)
  • AlishaLeandra
    Options
    THANKS
    THANKS
    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES/IDEAS! :flowerforyou: I officially don't feel weird anymore.
    And I've learned new things to do! Oh, how I love this site!:heart:
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I loved Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
    Right now I'm doing ChaLean Extreme
    and The Biggest Loser Cardio Max
    Next will be Insanity or something like that
  • Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't have gym membership either :smile: I road run, walk, hike, take advantage of exercise tv, www.bodyrock.tv, the net, and multiple DVD's. If you get bored of the DVD's you have check out your library! I am always shocked to hear what DVD's people have found there. There are some stairs that some friends of mine have been doing so I think I may give those babies a shot too. I don't think anyone needs a gym membership to get and stay healthy. :wink:
  • NWgardener
    NWgardener Posts: 28
    Options
    Walk. Find a safe route and do it everyday. Lengthen your time or the difficulty of the route. Walk to the store if you can. It is wonderful to get outside. If you have a neighbor who will walk with you--even better. The internet has many ideas on how to enhance your walk. Check it out!

Pilates is a great workout and is easy to do at home. There are many exercise programs on the TV that might interest you. Good luck!