Really need help adjusting how many calories I need.

Options
If anyone could help me that would be really awesome. I tried to figure out my TDEE and there were like 4 different calculators on the internet that gave me varying responses. I recently got a fitbit and that is updating my calories burned, steps taken, etc. As an example, yesterday it told me that due to my activity from the day, I needed to eat around 2800 cals (approx) in order to net 1400. I have my profile on here set to lightly active.

Background: I am a single mom of a 5, 2, and 1 year old. We live on campus so I walk them to daycare (daycare is on campus about 5 minutes from my apartment), walk to work (about a mile from my house uphill), and walk to classes in addition to doing my turbo jam dvd 3-4 times a week. I average 15,000 steps a day. The reason I had my profile set to lightly active, is because I have a desk job, and the whole time I am in class all we do is sit and take notes.

I guess my question is, do I change my profile settings on here? Do I figure my TDEE and go by that? Do I just let my fitbit do my calorie adjustments? I was really worried about eating 2800 calories last night and I don't want to be overeating. On the weekends I don't do crap because I really enjoy being lazy. Lol. So do I adjust for the weekend laziness?

If anyone would be willing to help me out, or give me suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

• newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi - you need to either set your activity level higher to reflect those 15000 steps or you need to eat a lot of your exercise calories on top of your base calories. I have my base calories set low and then add in my exercise and consider whether to eat back the exercise calories... hope that helps
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    We would need height and weight to be able to tell. Also, most fitness devices vastly overestimate calories burned.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's not an exact science, so some trial and error is a part of it.

Pick a number. Log as consistently, as accurately, and as honestly as you can. Do it for a month. Evaluate your progress.

If you gain weight, eat a little less.
    If you lose weight and feel good, keep going.
    If you lose weight and feel lethargic, low on energy, or don't have the energy for workouts, eat a little more.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    5'6 AND 3/4. The 3/4 is important. :smile: And 160 plus or minus 60 lbs. Most likely plus 60. :smile:

I have heard that fitbits and hrm's overestimate. I just never know what is a good number to eat back and if I should pay attention to food calories or net calories. I have been at the same weight since the end of February.