Women who do free weights QUestions

Options
SO those of you that do free weights is there a program you follow or a class that you take at the gym? How do you know what to do? I am clueless when it comes to weights. I have never been to a gym either mind you. I have lost 60lbs all on my own running and doing circuit training DVD's Now I would like to get toned and have some muscles. I have gotten a little in my arms but my lower needs lots of help. Tell my everything about Free weights I mean everything.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    SO those of you that do free weights is there a program you follow or a class that you take at the gym? How do you know what to do? I am clueless when it comes to weights. I have never been to a gym either mind you. I have lost 60lbs all on my own running and doing circuit training DVD's Now I would like to get toned and have some muscles. I have gotten a little in my arms but my lower needs lots of help. Tell my everything about Free weights I mean everything.

One of the first things you need to learn if you want to be able to do this properly is that there is no such thing as a "women-only" program. The women who have the most success follow the same programs as men: Stronglifts 5x5, Madcow, Starting Strength, etc... Even New Rules of Lifting for Women is a program that's modeled after the way men train. It's very important that you forget everything you ever thought that there is such a thing as exercise that is specific to women.

Okay, except maybe pole dancing fitness classes.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

One of the first things you need to learn if you want to be able to do this properly is that there is no such thing as a "women-only" program. The women who have the most success follow the same programs as men: Stronglifts 5x5, Madcow, Starting Strength, etc... Even New Rules of Lifting for Women is a program that's modeled after the way men train. It's very important that you forget everything you ever thought that there is such a thing as exercise that is specific to women.

Okay, except maybe pole dancing fitness classes.

This^

So oftem people (women included) want to treat women in fitness like they are a different species but last I checked men and women are the same species even if somtimes your spouse makes you think otherwise. :laugh:

If you have absolutely no clue how to lift weights properly and safely I would recommend finding a friend who can show you or higher a trainer that can teach it to you. You can certainly go into the gym totally unaware and give it a try, many people do and are fine but for safety I would recommend having someone show you the right way.
  • lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Check out www.nerdfitness.com. They have a great basic bodyweight workout that is perfect for getting started into strength training and you don't need a gym to do it. From there you can move up to free weights. There is so much information out there. Do some research and find something that makes sense to you and your life. I am getting ready to transition from dumbells to barbell training at home. I can't afford a gym membership right now so it is the best option for me. Eventually I would like to get back into heavier lifting in a gym, but I can wait . It's better to do something rather than nothing.

Strength training is probably the best thing that you can do for your body so congrats on getting interested!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I do think Strong Lifts 5x5 is a good start programme for a total newbie. It's simple but highly effective.
  • ourdreamco
    Options
    As a certified trainer and woman, who has truly tried it all, if you are brand new, don't go it alone. Form makes a huge difference. At least find a good program on the internet that will demonstrate proper form.

A few rules to follow:
    1. Train every area. You want to have an overall balance to you muscles. Even if your legs need most, train top to bottom. This means biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper and lower back and core, quads, hamstrings and calfs.
    2.Form is everything. I would rather see you doing high reps with a light weight - even just a pound or two to start with good form, than a 5x5 with heavy weight and terrible form.
    3. To find what you should be lifting, keep in mind that what ever weight you choose, the last two reps should be difficult to complete with good form. So if you are using a 10lb weight to do bicep curls, whether you do 8 reps or 14, the last two should be hard to complete.
    4. When it becomes easier to finish those reps... adjust. Either add more reps or increase the weight a little.
    5. Body weight exercises are awesome - especially for lower body and core. Look for ideas incorporating planks, lunges, squats and pushups or dips.

Lastly, have fun! I know so many women how have come to LOVE weight training. It can be very rewarding and you will love the way you look.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    is the strong lift a DVD or a book what is it
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts, found it boring and did not have anybody to teach me proper form...Then got Chalene Xtreme - and before the purists starts yelling that is't not "heavy weights" - her program taught me a LOT about form and the other how to stuff...
    She takes it slow and makes you do really slow reps - so form is everything...
  • aly5077
    aly5077 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do starting strength with some coworkers. We all read up and watch the videos on form and then critique each other. I've loved it! I think any of the suggested programs are good, but I think having friends just as into it (especially correct form) is important.
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer, Love love love it :flowerforyou:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. There is a website where you can download the programme and details. There is also a group here on MFP called Stronglifts fro Women which gives loads of valuable information. There are also lots of video tutorials showing how the lifts should be done.

There is also Starting Strength, which is a similar programme and there is a book you can buy or download. There are also videos online for this too.

I workout at home and through careful research and watching tutorials over and over, I have managed to learn the correct form and increase my weights quite considerably.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    women DO lift differently than men. It's a fact.

But the mechanics of how they lift is not inheirently different- good mechanics of a dead lift- over head press- squat or bench are still the same for men and women.

But that's going to dive into way to much detail.

Do you're research- there are literally hundreds of videos by legit people who can walk you through different exercises.

Pay for a trainer for 6 months- or even six weeks.

Nerdfitness.com is great (check out this story here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

thedailyhiit.com *nsfw* they have gotten a little over the top at this point- but check their youtube channel- they still have old videos loaded- hundreds of them- Zuzana is the brunette/blonde- and she was great- she's off the site- it's Lisa-Maria now- but their youtube channel is great.

Zuzka light on youtube (same zuzana as above- on her own now) or zuzkalight.com

lovingfit.com

angrytrainerfitness.com

remember you want to keep in mind the basic push pull mentality.

Strong lift is great- starting strength is great.

good luck!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts, found it boring and did not have anybody to teach me proper form...Then got Chalene Xtreme - and before the purists starts yelling that is't not "heavy weights" - her program taught me a LOT about form and the other how to stuff...
    She takes it slow and makes you do really slow reps - so form is everything...

I'm on my 2nd round of CLX and definitely consider it heavy lifting, FOR ME! When I am going as heavy as I can go and I feel like I can barely push out those last 2 reps before wanting to fall over, to me, that's heavy lifting!! My heart is pounding, my muscles are shaking and the sweat is dripping in my eyes....anyone who says this program is NOT heavy lifting hasn't tried it yet!!

It's my favorite program, by far!!!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WEBSITES OFF TO CHECK THEM OUT
  • StellaHarmon
    StellaHarmon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Chalene Extreme is a great program to start with. Also The Firm Videos are good for mixing toning and cardio.