Personal issues affecting my motivation

Options
They aren't even my personal issues....

I have been going really well the past 4 weeks, and really enjoying it too.

I am currently in a long distance relationship, and on Wednesday my boyfriend told me something that had just happened which had upset him, and which made me quite concerned. I can't really tell you what it is, but yeah.

Anyway, I had decided to give myself a rest day on Thursday anyway, no gym, but still eat healthy.

On the way home from work I just thought 'blow it' and went into McDonalds to have dinner, and THEN I stopped by a cookie shop.
I felt really sick that night, I tell you, and guilty about eating it all.
Ended up drinking ginger tea to try and soothe my poor tummy.

Then yesterday, I went to the gym, at first it felt ok, but it just seemed to hard, and I ended up stopping 10 minutes earlier than I had planned because I just couldn't take it.

And now I am sitting here on my bed, trying to 1) get myself to actually log everything I ate yesterday and 2) motivate myself to go to the gym.

I am pretty sure, if I am honest with myself, that all these difficulties are really just manifestations of my worry about my boyfriend's situation, and I don't know how to handle it.

In so many ways, I started this because I wanted to have something for myself, something apart from him, even though he is really supportive of me doing this, I want this to be my time, when I just put everything else out of my head.

I just feel really down about this right now.

I don't know how to go on... but I don't want to give up.

Replies

• Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just messaged you and sent a request:smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Personal issues affect all of us I think but lets not make it something that stops us long term. Take the ups with the downs and when we are up go fo it full on.
  • Theocean4me
    Options
    Hi Deweymorning,
    It's really hard when someone we care about is having a hard time. I do want to encourage you not to give up. Do you journal your feelings? That might help. I know that you already know this but but not exercising and eating off your plan won't help him or you.
    Hang in there. do the next thing that you need to do. ((Hugs!))
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to remember sometimes is that no matter what we do, all of these other things will STILL be happening. There's nothing a person can eat, or drink, or put up their nose, or whatever, that will change a situation. It sucks and it hurts, but you gotta deal with life as it comes, and not try to find comfort in a bag, no matter what came in it.

I sincerely hope your storm passes quickly. <3
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to remember sometimes is that no matter what we do, all of these other things will STILL be happening. There's nothing a person can eat, or drink, or put up their nose, or whatever, that will change a situation. It sucks and it hurts, but you gotta deal with life as it comes, and not try to find comfort in a bag, no matter what came in it.

I sincerely hope your storm passes quickly. <3

It's not even like these decisions were concious.

It actually took me a bit to realise the two were connected, but once I did it was obvious.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi Dewymorning,
    I am sorry that your boyfriend is having a rough spot. It's tough to watch the ones we care about be upset.

For me, I find it best to focus on making ONE good decision, like going for a walk, not eating the cookie, eating more veggies at dinner, etc. Anything to give me a bit of control and success. Make the decision, complete the action, recognize your success.
    If I can do that, I tend to find that the positive choices tend to build upon one another.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One day I was at work and got a call saying my ds had banged his head and my parents were taking him to hospital. My first thought? I need cake! My second thought: is that really what I want, or do I really just want my son to be ok? Will my eating cake make him ok? No.

Then I didn't have the cake.

I think it's a habit of mind you have to work on.

(Just to be clear, I do eat cake, often, but because it's delicious, not to feel better.)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When you're worried about a loved one, it is really, really hard to stay on track. I know. BELIEVE ME. I know. I started my healthy diet on October 1, 2012. About two weeks later, my husband was rushed into emergency surgery. I had every excuse to break my diet. Worry, needing to arrange child care, being at the hospital long hours, etc. etc. etc. But you know what? Every single time I have dieted in the past I've lost weight. EVERY TIME. 90 pounds once, 38 pounds another time. Over and over I've lost the weight, but every time I've ****ed up part way through because I get stressed and my motivation goes away. One time it's a new relationship. . . wait, BOTH times it was a new relationship. Note to self: New boyfriends are bad for your health. ;) Anyway, I'm getting distracted. The point is, every time I was doing really well, but I stopped being motivated, and then I stopped doing what I was supposed to be doing. That's when I realized, this time, when I was throwing stuff into my boys' backpacks, and planning what junk I was going to buy, my motivation doesn't mean ****. Motivation is GREAT. It's awesome. It makes it feel good and it makes it EASY to do what you're supposed to do. But my body doesn't care if I feel excited about eating healthy food or if I just eat it because it's what I'm supposed to eat. It doesn't care if I work out because I'm hyped about it and I want to be the next fitness icon, or if I just do it because it's Friday, and Friday is kettlebell day. Motivation is an emotional state. That's all. Emotional states are temporary. In fact, if you can't change emotional states when the situation changes, you're looking at a mental health diagnosis. Don't tie your performance to your motivation. When you are motivated, use that energy to build healthy habits. Then when your motivation goes away, as it inevitably will, due to stress, or tiredness, or just time, relax into the healthy habits you've built. Remember also, your body is a toddler, basically. Treat it like a toddler. Firm limits, a healthy routine, and lots of love. Don't give in to its temper tantrums (and that's exactly what craving junk food and not wanting to work out are, a bodily temper tantrum) because every time you do, you're making it that much more likely that you'll give in the next time too. Instead of stopping at McDonald's for a 20 piece chicken nugget and a Coke Zero on my way to the hospital, I grabbed a Subway veggie sub and a big glass of water. I got through my husband's hospitalization without screwing up taking care of me. You can get through this, AND support your boyfriend while still taking care of you, too. Shoot me a friend request if you want.

30369635.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    When you're worried about a loved one, it is really, really hard to stay on track. I know. BELIEVE ME. I know. I started my healthy diet on October 1, 2012. About two weeks later, my husband was rushed into emergency surgery. I had every excuse to break my diet. Worry, needing to arrange child care, being at the hospital long hours, etc. etc. etc. But you know what? Every single time I have dieted in the past I've lost weight. EVERY TIME. 90 pounds once, 38 pounds another time. Over and over I've lost the weight, but every time I've ****ed up part way through because I get stressed and my motivation goes away. One time it's a new relationship. . . wait, BOTH times it was a new relationship. Note to self: New boyfriends are bad for your health. ;) Anyway, I'm getting distracted. The point is, every time I was doing really well, but I stopped being motivated, and then I stopped doing what I was supposed to be doing. That's when I realized, this time, when I was throwing stuff into my boys' backpacks, and planning what junk I was going to buy, my motivation doesn't mean ****. Motivation is GREAT. It's awesome. It makes it feel good and it makes it EASY to do what you're supposed to do. But my body doesn't care if I feel excited about eating healthy food or if I just eat it because it's what I'm supposed to eat. It doesn't care if I work out because I'm hyped about it and I want to be the next fitness icon, or if I just do it because it's Friday, and Friday is kettlebell day. Motivation is an emotional state. That's all. Emotional states are temporary. In fact, if you can't change emotional states when the situation changes, you're looking at a mental health diagnosis. Don't tie your performance to your motivation. When you are motivated, use that energy to build healthy habits. Then when your motivation goes away, as it inevitably will, due to stress, or tiredness, or just time, relax into the healthy habits you've built. Remember also, your body is a toddler, basically. Treat it like a toddler. Firm limits, a healthy routine, and lots of love. Don't give in to its temper tantrums (and that's exactly what craving junk food and not wanting to work out are, a bodily temper tantrum) because every time you do, you're making it that much more likely that you'll give in the next time too. Instead of stopping at McDonald's for a 20 piece chicken nugget and a Coke Zero on my way to the hospital, I grabbed a Subway veggie sub and a big glass of water. I got through my husband's hospitalization without screwing up taking care of me. You can get through this, AND support your boyfriend while still taking care of you, too. Shoot me a friend request if you want.

Thank you so much for this post!

That is exactly what I needed to hear.

Ok, dragging myself to the gym now.
  • action_figure
    Options

How did it go?
  • Dewymorning
    Options

How did it go?

Not too bad, and then afterwards I met up with a friend for lunch which was really nice.

Feeling a bit better now. :)
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Yesterday I bought a notebook which I intend to use for writing thoughts in and then send to my beloved when it is full.

I am finding writing in it a big help already. Funny how just writing down some thoughts can be helpful like that.

Talked to him last night, and his situation is 'bearable'. I guess that's the best I can hope for right now.

Anyway, feeling more on track now. Thanks to everyone who sent me messages and friend's requests.

:3
  • action_figure
    Options
    I'm glad to read that things are better.