Personal Trainer- good idea or not

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
so...... I'm beginning to wonder if DVD sets are for me after all. There's always something about them I don't like and I get bored easily. I'm wondering therefore if I should hire a personal trainer. I could only afford twice a month but the idea would be they'd set me a programme to do at home. Has anyone used a PT in this way?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Trainers are expensive, I don't recommend them unless you really don't have any idea what to do in the gym. In that case I might get a month or two of training so they can teach you to use the equipment and proper form. You can find a lot of free workouts online so if you know how to use equipement correctly I'd just find a good program.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's worth it to get one for a few sessions. Don't get suckered into a contract however because one thing you will learn is that trainers outlive their usefulness once you get proper form down for the exercises you will be doing, and then you're stuck with a contract. So yes it's worth it if you can get one on a session by session basis to instruct you on proper form for all of the major weightlifting exercises as well as kettlebell training. Once you have that down, you can comfortably go out into the gym world on your own and do programs such as Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Madcow, Wendler 5/3/1, NROLFW, or others that only come in book format and show results WAY beyond anything you will ever see from a DVD workout.
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    Personal trainers are amazing to have for a few sessions. Just to show you what to do and the proper form. Then after you learn how to do stuff on your own, you don't need them anymore.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are really wanting to accomplish. For me, the price of a trainer is so much cheaper than bariatric surgery. Do research on the type of trainer you want, they are not all the same and make sure it's what you really want.

I love my trainer, and I would be happy to pay for a session with him for once a week forever. He's so awesome, I wish everyone could work with him. We do unique things every time, he gives me routines for home that work for my fitness level. Basically we do everything you see on biggest loser (not that I condone that show). It's all caveman stuff: boxing, battle ropes, different lifting and balance exercises, medicine balls, kettlebells, sleds, sledgehammers/tires, tabatas, etc. But he's no joke, and he helps lift me up and helps push me to do things I didn't think I could do. If I had a trainer who was like "ok get on this machine, now this one, now that one" that wouldn't last more than 2 sessions for me.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    It's more to make me accountable and to ask questions. Don't want to use a gym. Want to work out at home. I suppose I could save the money and write myself a programme but I find it easier to stick to if someone is watching over me b
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for a couple of months when I was getting in shape for my wedding a couple of years ago. I loved every minute of it, but it depends on exactly why you are looking at getting a trainer.

Pros:

-- Motivation: You'll be much more motivated to push yourself harder and farther when you have someone there who...well, is pushing you to go harder and farther. And if they're a good trainer they will also recognize your limits and push you without letting you get into a position where injury is a possibility. I never worked out so hard as I did when I was working with my trainer. Then there's also the small part in the back of my mind saying "Hey, you're paying $50+ for this workout, you better damn well make it worthwhile!"

-- Teaching: My trainer taught me many exercises that I still use now, and he taught me proper form to reduce the risk of injury. That whole feedback system is something that DVD's can't give you.

-- External support: My trainer gave me his personal cell number (and did so for all his clients) and told me to call him if I ever had questions. This was great, because he was a nutritionist as well as a personal trainer, so if I ever had questions on food, or exercise, or anything related to my fitness, I had someone I could talk to about it at pretty much any time.

Cons:

-- Expensive: Most of the gyms in my area make you buy "packages" that you have to pay either in monthly installments or, to get the best deal, all at once. In my case, $1200 was a great investment and I was happy with it, but it was also a challenge coming up with the money up front.

-- Usefulness can wane: If you are extremely self-motivated in the gym and are in tune with your exercise limits, once you learn proper form for the exercises the trainer's usefulness can wane a bit, since they are mostly glorified spotters at that point.

So I think that really what it comes down to is this: if you're a beginner in the gym, getting a trainer for a short while can be invaluable. From there it is all dependent on how self-motivated you are.

Just my point-oh-two dollars :)
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Trainers can be expensive - like others have mentioned. They can also have their own agenda of what they are going to work on for you.
    I had a personal trainer a few years ago and was very disappointed. I had requested we focus on my core to help strengthen those muscles. The exercises we did were ONLY for the arms, shoulders, and legs. While I know SOME core muscles were used there wasn't enough focus on the core for my liking. When I asked him about it, he told me the "best way" to work the core is cardio. :huh: Fortunately I only 10 sessions with him... and I just didn't renew with him.
  • flyithi
    flyithi Posts: 8
    Options
    I was doing my own thing successfully for 2 years (aerobics, treadmill, floor work) then wasn't loosing weight anymore so I decided I needed to shake things up and got a trainer in January. It is true - they are good for learning form, staying away from injury, pushing you hard and a good sounding board. With her I do strength and circuit training using bands and weights. It is a totally different kind of workout. You will see definition fairly quickly but my body is sore in places I didn't even know about :frown: ! I've gone every week since mid Jan and rarely do the same thing twice. It is all stuff I can do in my own home so I can see that this will be a limited need. Good luck to you.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm on the fence on this. I know mine has whipped my butt into shape three times and mostly maybe bc he held me accountable. I HAD to be at the gym for my sessions or I had to pay regardless. Many times I wanted sleep off my hangover. I would be so mad at him when I got there, just bc he MADE me go. But afterward, I was glad, I was consistent due to it.

Each time I quit my trainer (a few times) and said, "I get this" I can do it at home then I always got fat and soft again. He also made me do things that I thought were too hard. I would cuss and say "I CAN'T", he's smile and say, "sure you can". I wanted to slap that smile off his face. But he was right, I really could. I still remember my first set of 60 squats with weights was the hardest thing I had physically ever done. Giving birth was easier, he MADE me do it. I grew in strength rapidly due to that. Had I been on my own, I would have NEVER pushed myself like that.

I am the type who NEEDS my butt kicked.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    It's not actually working out with a trainer I'm interested in, it's him/her setting me a programme to do when I'm alone and then having to be accountable.
  • farscape428
    Options
    If your going to hire a personal trainer they should do nothing else other than recommend a total body circuit routine for you. If your just starting out you dont need to do multiple sets of squats, bench presses etc. And you can be fine with just the machines. Sometimes trainers at big gyms like to use free weights - to keep you confused - so decline that. Also dont accept any trainer. Tell them you want the smartest trainer - thats not always the guy/girl who makes the most revenue. Look for personal trainers who have certifications from:
    ACSM
    NSCA
    NASM

Also ask them how long they have been training and if they have ever worked with somebody who has your specific issues.
    Make sure they have CPR and AED certs too.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If its only program wise there are a ton you can find for free on the net if you are willing to do the research. If its to learn proper form etc and you feel you can't get that from a video or a written description a session or two could probably point you in the right direction...
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We work out with a trainer twice a week. I love it! We are inspired to push ourselves even when we don't feel like going. To me, a trainer is worth every penny!!!
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer once per week - she sets me a programme at the beginning of the month that I do myself and we go through that. I like that my programme changes regularly. If I have problems with my programme I can email or discuss at my next session and any exercises that are not working for me we change up. The additional sessions are for motivation and doing stuff like boxing and learning compound lifts that I could not do alone. I am going on holiday and wanted to do a resistance band home workout so my last session she went through one with me that she emailed to me. I personally find the accountability useful and the variety. I think its worthwhile if you have the money and need more accountability and or reassurance and guidance on progression. For example I did a DVD resistance band work out and got much less out than my trainer developing the programme for me and teaching me and adjusting some exercises so they are the right degree of difficulty. Good luck.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I can work out on my own, but when doing certain exercises, once I start getting to a point, I don't push myself further. A good trainer will push you those extra 2 reps. They will also create workouts for you that vary every week so you don't get bored with the same thing. While expensive, they can be well with the money spent if they are that good. It costs me $300 for a block of 10 1/2 hour sessions. I workout with her twice a week. I'll do this and then take a couple weeks off from her, and when I can afford another block, I do it.
    I know my exercises and I know good form, but I don't push myself to the max like when she's pushing me.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks. Still thinking about it but in the meantime have set my own programme bust started Body by Youn(You are your ownnGym) which is great booing to alternate it with Bridge tom10k.
    Thanks for your advice v