Have you tried the Fat2Fit method?

Options
Hey! I calculated my TDEE at my goal weight and it says I should eat 2100 calories for being moderately active. My BMR is 1391, I was eating under my BMR at 1300 calories a day. Is 2100 calories a day crazy? Has anyone tried this and seen results?

here is the link: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Replies

• heatmack
    heatmack Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. My personal trainer told me to eat 1700 cals and no more than 40 grams of sugar. That website told me I needed 2226 for being moderatly active. I wished I could tell you more! And here I thought 1700 was a lot!

That website also told me I should weigh 228 lbs...I've been 238 before and I'm still fat! I'm talking size 20 fat. I've also been 180lbs and I'm still fat! Seriously I really think the website is flawed!
  • heatmack
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't post this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

That post states that if you take your 2226 calories for being moderately active and -20% for wt loss, your trainer is bang on, your calculation would be 1780.

How are you finding the wt loss on 1700 calories?
  • nicolafindlay39
    Options
    Hi i am sticking to 1650 calories and have lost 4 pound in about 10 days x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't post this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

That post states that if you take your 2226 calories for being moderately active and -20% for wt loss, your trainer is bang on, your calculation would be 1780.

I use the info in the linked In Place Of A Road Map thread, which uses the tool at Fat2Fit - but the difference with the road map method is rather than putting in your GOAL weight when calculating your numbers, you put your current weight, and thereby find your current TDEE, and then take 20% from that. Did that for a year and it worked awesome for me - lost the last stubborn 10lbs, a bunch of fat and dropped another pants size. Currently eating at about a 10-15% cut now, which for me is 1950 calories a day. I've hit goal weight, but am focused on losing a bit more fat.

I like the tools at Fat2Fit over MFP because you can enter a bit more info, such as body fat %, so I think their BMR and TDEE numbers are bit more accurate.
  • fionahay
    fionahay Posts: 44
    Options
    Fat2Fit says I have a BMI of 27, which is obese, when actually it's around 18/19 and I am at the low end of 'healthy weight' - so I'm not sure about it being entirely accurate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the whole BMI system is inaccurate and outdated - I didn't even figure my BMI at Fat2Fit. :tongue:

But as far as the tools for calculating BMR, I like the Military Body Fat Calculator which gives an estimated BF%, which then gets figured into the BMR equation, and you get both the Katch McArdle and Harris Benedict BMR estimates. Overall, everything is an estimate - the calculators, the HRMs, calories from restaurants, etc, etc. But the more info you can enter into an equation, I figure the better the resulting estimate will be - that's why I like Fat2Fit over MFP's calculators/estimates on BMR.
  • heatmack
    Options

I use the info in the linked In Place Of A Road Map thread, which uses the tool at Fat2Fit - but the difference with the road map method is rather than putting in your GOAL weight when calculating your numbers, you put your current weight, and thereby find your current TDEE, and then take 20% from that. Did that for a year and it worked awesome for me - lost the last stubborn 10lbs, a bunch of fat and dropped another pants size. Currently eating at about a 10-15% cut now, which for me is 1950 calories a day. I've hit goal weight, but am focused on losing a bit more fat.

I like the tools at Fat2Fit over MFP because you can enter a bit more info, such as body fat %, so I think their BMR and TDEE numbers are bit more accurate.

Thanks for explaining that to me! It makes sense now. I will give it a try at 1800 calories and see what happens.