CANKLES

Options
Yes, you read that right. I'm talking about cankles. I have them, and I hate them. I've always had them. I've never worn shorts in public because of them. I dropped 60 pounds, weighed 113 at one point, and still had them. I've heard so many different tips and tricks about getting rid of them or covering them up, but I don't know what really works and doesn't. I'm curious to know if there's anybody out there who's had them and has gotten rid of them. If you have, what did you do? Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not talking about just having fat or really thick calfs. I mean legit. cankles. You know, where the calf pretty much just blends into the foot...kind of like the legs of a piano.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish I knew! Keeping an eye on my sodium seems to help a bit because they don't get as swollen looking, but my ankles are definitely not the most attractive part of my body. Some day I'm going to get cankle lipo, I swear (yes, it does exist).
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a show on them and it seems that they are hereditary. There is not much you can do but wear good shoes and watch your sodium intake. I have like a reverse muffin top ( its right under my boobs instead of below my gut ) and I am 146 lbs.. i had it even when i was skinny, its like a crease that won't go away!! grrr... I think everyone has something they are insecure about. I don't wear shorts often because you can still see the hair follicles even after I have shaved because my legs are so pale!!!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I try my best to watch my sodium intake as well. I bloat up way too easily. It gets so bad that my entire body seems to swell up, and quite noticeably at that. It's crazy sometimes. We need to get that lipo done together! But I heard it's not always a lifetime fix, so they could come back afterwards. I did see that episode of Dr. Oz, but knowing it's hereditary really doesn't make me feel any better about the whole situation...especially since my older brother does not have them, but I do. I must admit, I am not too familiar with this reverse muffin top situation you're referring to. And you're totally right, we all have things about ourselves that we hate. It's just a shame that we all can't fix those things, ya know. It's so frustrating because I've always had thick legs, even after losing tons of weight, and now I know I'll never have the legs of a model. :(
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    To clarify my "reverse muffin top" haha... its right under my breast where I have a small pooch... unlike most people who have a pooch below the belt, I have mine wayyy above it... its like a roll, haha kinda gross explaining it :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I used to be a size 6 and had cankles, it is something that bugs me. I do wear shorts now as they are not terrible, but my Husband has way better legs than I do! lol AND he has no hair on them!!! (he thinks my legs are great and can't see what I am talking about!)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    To clarify my "reverse muffin top" haha... its right under my breast where I have a small pooch... unlike most people who have a pooch below the belt, I have mine wayyy above it... its like a roll, haha kinda gross explaining it :)

Ha! I have that too! I don't really have the "pooch" that most women complain about but I have a fat roll right under my boobs. It is like this thread is all about my insecurities!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I just checked the area where you two are talking about, and low and behold, I have one too! Thanks for making me even more insecure :p Oh, and I HATE the way my cankles look, so there's no way I can expect other people to like them. My fiance is the same way...he just denies it and claims he doesn't see what I'm talking about. His legs are pretty hairy though...but they're skinny and toned... -_-
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I dont have cankles but I have never been comfortable wearing shorts that show off my ankles. I have very large calves (not extremely fatty just very muscular) from growing up with skates tied on. I am so embarassed by the change in circumfrance when moving from my calves to my ankles. Its just disturbing to me.

so dont feel too bad!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I don't care what your legs look like, I'd still trade with you any time on any day...just to say that I had actual ankles!