what weight dumbells for julian michaels

Options
general question really just wondering what size weights other have used for starting julian michaels 30 day shred, i have 2.5lbs each ones here at home is this too low or is it sufficient for starting off? thanks. :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Try it out and see how you feel.

For some people, that will be enough, other people will start with 5s or 8s.
  • JessieRichelle
    JessieRichelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've heard her say in her podcast that in all of her videos a 2 to 3 lb weight is all that is needed because of the efficiency of the exercises she's having you do. I love the 30 day shred by the way. =P Good luck!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I did level 1 with a 2lb weight. I did level 2 & 3 with a 3lb weight.
    I am now repeating the program with a 5lb weight.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I started with 5 lb because thats what i had but for some things wished I owned 3 lbs so you should be good
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 lbs and then when that started getting easy, moved to 5. The 5 lbs is still killing me for some of the Week 2 moves.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I started with 5lb weights. For some of the exercises, 5lbs was a challenge after doing several repetitions. For others (like the chest flies in level 1) I had to upgrade to 8lbs because it was too easy. It's a good workout no matter what weight you use. If you feel like 2.5lbs is a good place to start for your body, stick with that. But if you can make it through the video with heavier weights (without causing injury), go for it! Sometimes I go back and do the level 1 cardio with weights just to make it harder.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to buy dumbbells so I use two large cans of spaghetti sauce. I've know idea what they weigh.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with 5lb weights because it's what I had. And I paid dearly for it for the next three days, as it was the first time I had done any sort of exercise in years! :tongue: If that's you, go for 2lbs or 3lbs to start with, and work your way up.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I did it the first time with 5lb weights. I'm doing it again with 8lb weights, and then alternating legs/arms for about 10-15 minutes (depending on which moves I'm doing) after because apparently I hate myself.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would use what you have for first time through.
    I started with 5s - yeah, not easy! *lol*
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I started with five and thought "why is this so freakin hard?" then I found out she uses three.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    So....am I the only fool who did week 1 and 2 of ripped in 30 with 7.5 pound dumbbells and am using my 10 pounds for week 3? O.O
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I started with five and thought "why is this so freakin hard?" then I found out she uses three.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. now i don't feel so bad for having shaky, agonized muscles after lateral lunges with shoulder presses at 8lbs.
  • alabamamommy
    Options
    I use 5's
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do her Ripped in 30 DVD. I use 5lb or 8lb hand weights depending on the exercise being perfomed. Sometimes I'll use the 8lb one on the first round and then have to go down tot he 5lb one the second time around. Just depends. Would like to be able to use the 8lb for all of the, but I'm just not quite there yet. Start small and see what works for you. Then try a heavier weight if you feel like the smaller one just isn't really doing it for you. You can always go back down to the smaller weight if necessary.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You're good. Whatever you can hold comfortably while balancing yourself. There's a lot of whole body moves like lunges and shoulder press. Its even okay to practice without the weight to familiarize yourself with the routine. It's a good burn.
  • avababy05
    Options

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. now i don't feel so bad for having shaky, agonized muscles after lateral lunges with shoulder presses at 8lbs.

Yes,It's the lateral lunges that got me.

I just finished me second round and now I've started kettlebells which I would't have been able to do if I didn't do 30ds first.

These days I'm more about weights then cardio because I was stunned at how quickly the results come when you use more weights.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I use 4 lbs, but what you have is fine. Go ahead and get started, and upgrade if and when you need to.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    I am only a few days in and I started with 5 lb weights. I had to go to the store and buy 3 lb weights. I see others had the same problem, so now I don't feel like such a punk. lol
  • avababy05
    Options
    I am only a few days in and I started with 5 lb weights. I had to go to the store and buy 3 lb weights. I see others had the same problem, so now I don't feel like such a punk. lol

No,don't feel like a punk.

You will be amazed by the results in the end.