HELP....Need Scale Advice

Options
I have a WW scale that is a couple of years old, but when we get on it, the weight varies. We can get on it 3 times and it is different every time. Any suggestions on a good and inexpensive, accurate scale?

Thanks.

Replies

• nikicoleman
    nikicoleman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too with my scale. I lost now 40 some pounds and I started at 238....the other day I stepped on it and it told me I weighed 359!!!! I thought, wow, my foods today were a little off! hahahaha. So I found a cheap one to 'try' from a friend just to see if it works better, but I gained so much on it! lol. I gained 5lbs just yesterday! What is the problem with these scales?! I hope someone has something better! :)
  • drucole
    drucole Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This one works for me. It's a Weight Watchers brand scale and it's $49.99 with FREE delivery on Amazon (see link).

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-Glass-Platform-Chrome/dp/B0000AHSA8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1276692482&sr=8-9
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Our WW scale seems to do the same thing, I think its sensitive to how its sitting on the floor
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My scale did this, too. I just changed the batteries. Now it works perfectly.

I have a TRIMMER. It cost $20.00
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I just got one from walmart and it works well. ($30) the only thing I have found is if you move it around on the floor I can gain or loose 5 lbs or so. I have my "weigh spot" marked on the floor and it remains consistent. One time it did go crazy on me, but when I replaced the batteries all was well.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I have a Taylor digital scale. Have had it for years and it works great as long as you keep the batteries changed.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience with my WW scale and agree it is very sensitive to floor placement.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    So I weighed again this morning, technically my weigh it shouldn't have been until tomorrow, but I was so excited about how I've done so far this week so I just had to weigh, weighed right after my shower before I ate or drank anything and with the lest amount of clothes as possible.. It now says I weight 30lbs less than what I did a week ago.. 315 to 285? I'm so confused!! My scale has not been moved or messed with or anything.. I know it's not possible to lose 30lbs a week.. Unless I'm a freako or something!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I have two scales in the house and the one upstairs weighs me about 2 or 3 pounds lighter. They are both consistent though. I have the one upstairs on linoleum and the one downstairs on cement. So they are very consistent. I think the hard surface helps.

Make sure you put the scales on a hard surface and not on carpet or a rug. You could try putting it on a small piece of plywood or something similar if you don't have any hard surface.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor digital scale yesterday at Academy for $20, I figured they would carry a good brand. I noticed that in the instructions that it said it had to be reset anytime it is moved. On this one you reset it by stepping on and back off again and then you weigh yourself. Some of yours may need to be reset too if it's not working properly, or the batteries may need changed.
  • MrsE2010
    MrsE2010 Posts: 63
    Options
    I haven't had a scale in my house in a very long time because I didn't trust the output. I'm bumping this topic because I'm ready to purchase one and I am willing to spend a little more to get accuracy.
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    Mine is a Taylor too. It's fine but I have to be sure to reset it if it's moved at all. I make a habit of resetting it before I get on it each time so I know it's accurate. :)
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    I use a weight watcher's scale too. I make sure i put on a flat surface, and in that same spot every time i weigh myself.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I will try batteries and keeping it in one spot. If that doesn't work, I move onto a new one...
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the manufacturer's page on my scales.

http://www.healthometer.com/Product.aspx?cid=1087&pid=6970

BFM588-81_96_2260_2.JPG

I like mine a lot. I got it at Target for about $45 (I think), but I can't find it listed on Target, Walmart, Kmart, or any other shopping sites anymore. There are similar ones from the same manufacturer and many others that should be similar.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    just a question but have u tried changin the batteries? ( i feel like i'm askin a stupid question but it's just a thought lol)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have a WW scale that is a couple of years old, but when we get on it, the weight varies. We can get on it 3 times and it is different every time. Any suggestions on a good and inexpensive, accurate scale?

Thanks.

Hi, I had some WW scales up until about six months ago, they were several years old and I thought they were okay. However, something happened that made me chuck them away and buy new ones.

Jumping on them I noted that on that particular morning I weighed in at 154lbs.

"okey dokey" thinks me "not too bad, could do with about 7lb loss, but off to the zoo we go" (I was going to the zoo for a day out with hubby).

We get there and stare at some animals and then go to one enclosure that, outside it, had a set of scales that were designed to weigh animals.

Hubby jumps on and looks at the scales

"Yep, they are very accurate, I know this because I weighed myself at the gym yesterday and their scales are spot on!" he exclaims, jumping off.

Pushing past, I jumped on them "Let me see..." I said

"what is 81.6kg in pounds?" I asked

"Er you don't want to know" he said

"Yes, I do" I said

That was the start of my diet, albeit I did fail many times, until I found Myfitnesspal four weeks ago. You see, instead of weighing the 154lbs which I though I did, I actually weighed just under 180lbs.

My scales were far too old and I immediately went out to buy new ones.

I think they eventually lose their "springiness" and stick at various places, hence why the variation in weight.

(Sorry for the mammoth post, I always get bloody carried away LOL)
  • km1540
    km1540 Posts: 22
    Options
    Your weight will go up and down throughout the day... the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning (after you handle your business) and in your underwear... and also check the batteries. I have a WW scale and mine is working fine. I have had it for 2 years now.