Picking a goal weight

Options
I was just wondering - what factors into the goal weight you have chosen for yourself? How did you come up with that number?

I'm 22 and I've never been anything except morbidly obese, so I have no idea how to pick a goal weight. I picked 150 but sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to get there. I guess I'll end up picking my GW later on in my journey.

Replies

• TheBigFish711
    Options
    For me, I know that I am big boned. I am also 6'2. I have no delusions of being 175 pounds, or even 200 pounds. I have been obese since I was about 14 years old. I picked 250 lbs because I know that I can look good at that weight, feel comfortable, and enjoy life. It's a nice, round number =) And if I get to that goal, and not satisfied, I can always lower it by 10 pounds and see what difference it makes !
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't really have a set goal weight because ideally I'd like to keep losing until I hit a weight I'm satisfied with and feel good at. However, I feel that some sort of goal will keep me more focused, so I figure around 143 pounds because that seems to be considered "healthy" at my height. However, I may end up feeling good at 150 or 130-something.
  • EllabelleMarie
    Options
    I'm 24 and 5'6". I've set my goal weight at 140, down from a 195 starting weight. Sometimes the number seems so far away I could cry. I've also always felt I am a little bit big boned and muscular for my size... sometimes I wonder if that just an excuse for not wanting to try to get down to 130.

Those are the days I decide it's going to be healthier for me to base my goal weight not on the number, but on appearance. I tell myself I only look at the scale because it's easier to see if I'm on the right track. Ultimately, it's about how you feel and how you look.

If you don't want to pick a number, why don't you make your goal to feel healthy and stop when you feel you're done?
  • vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The lowest I recall being from high school on is 195, so I chose 175 as my original goal, even though that's still overweight for my height. I guess at this point I still don't believe I'll actually get that far. But when I do, I can reevaluate and go from there! :)
  • EllabelleMarie
    Options
    Or, if you really want a guideline, look up what you BMI is at (Body Mass Index). It is a VERY ROUGH estimation of what you should weigh based on your gender, age and height. Keep in mind it won't factor in things like muscular physiques or higher bone mass.
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Aim for smaller goals. For example, aim for 30 lbs. Once you get there set another goal. Wanting to lose a large amount of weight right in the beginning can be over whelming. If you feel like you're too far away you're more likely to just give up. Stay motivated and take baby steps. I started out at 256. It took me 1 yr and 1 week but I lost 60 lbs. I'm aiming for another 40 or so. I'll see how far I want to go when I get a little closer. The weight drops fast in the beginning and then it starts to get hard.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I initially picked a weight I figured I could reasonably get to. Once I got to it, I knew I wanted to lose a bit more so I readjusted my goal, then readjusted it again when I attained the second goal. If you know about what a healthy weight range should be for someone your age, gender, height and frame, aim for the high end of that range and see how you feel about it when you get there.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I pick a goal weight every week. And i have a Main goal weight w/a longer term. :happy:
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started out at 173. I chose a goal of 130 because that's what I had been in high school and I hadn't seen that number since I was 19 (I'm 31 now). I hit my goal 11 months later just to show off at my family reunion. I found that I still wasn't as happy as I thought I would be so I kept going. Incorporating exercise (yes, I had lost 43 lbs without exercise) and now I'm down to 116. My body is finally starting to get to the point I was hoping for a year ago. I'm not looking to lose anymore weight, I'm now focusing more on BF%. You just have to go until you're happy. If that means multiple smaller goals then do that.
  • bnewkirk
    bnewkirk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my doctor and a nutritionist. Ideally, you want to pick a weight where you feel comfortable. For me, I'll be happy when I know I'm at a weight that's medically safe and healthy for my body and my height. Right now my goal is 135, which is supposed to be just healthy for my height (the higher end). But I focus a lot on muscle building, so when I'm closer to my goal (I'm 42 pounds away) I will go to my local gym and have my body fat percentage tested, because in the end I want that to be where it should be.

HW- 265
    SW- 245
    CW- 177
    GW- 135