Obese MFP'ers - question!

Options
When you first started exercising, how long did it take you before you started actually getting in shape and feeling like exercising was easier? I haven't worked out in so long that I'm terrified to start up again. I worked out yesterday and 60% through the video I damn near gave up (and it was only a 15 minute workout... well, 5 minute warm up and 10 minute workout).

From what I remember when I was doing hardcore workouts before my son was born, it took me about 3 months to feel like it was getting easier.

I guess I'm just curious how long it takes for other very overweight people like myself?

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means "in shape" but I am quite obese :drinker:

I found for me it got easier every day...each time I did it. After the first couple of months, it just felt normal. I think keeping at it is the biggest thing. My endurance is already so much better than it was. Every time I do something new it's a little difficult again but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

A lot of it is mental anyways. I want to "give up" a lot during my workouts when it really hurts, but the more times that you push yourself through it, the easier it will be. (Obviously not including any pain where it actually feels like you're injuring yourself)

I'm also, unfortunately, a very heavy smoker. So for non-smokers I would assume it would be an even quicker transition.
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think you have to give yourself some time and slack. I know for me it took a while. I know I felt I was dying doing advanced taebo. I just hung in there. Huff and puff take water breaks. I just did my best. That last go round the weight fell off (with fruits and veggies too) 30 lbs in about 3-3.5 months. Trying to replicate. This time it's staying off.
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    It definitely gets easier! At least for me.

I'm able to get through exercise DVD's that before I couldn't without completely pushing myself. I'm able to walk a mile faster and I'm more flexible.

I would try easing yourself back in? I first started doing the 30 Day Shred and couldn't do it. So, a friend told me about Leslie Sansone. I started with 1 mile and now do 2 or 3. If you haven't heard of her, some of her full workouts are on youtube.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was (still am?) completely out of shape. Not only obese but sedentary. I only started this process 10 days ago. I began with water aerobics (water strength training too) because I just literally could not bear the stress of my weight. Every tendon/joint hurt after 2 days of working in water. I posted on MFP frustrated; and someone told me to give myself a break and that it's hard to start after being sedentary for so long. I took a day off and started back again after that. It was better. Took another day off and substituted light walking instead of aerobics. Went back to water aerobics and felt much, much better. So good in fact that I did a trial run of level 1 30 day shred. Found it hard but made it through (except had to sub wall pushups for real pushups). Muscles hurt after but in a really FEEL GOOD way.... I think each day is better and better. When you are too too too sore, give yourself a day of rest in between and then get back at it...
  • meFreshwater
    meFreshwater Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I started working out. I didn't start with 15-minute things, I started with Wii Fit and Let's Dance. Trying to make it fun, beat my own score, just short bouts of 5 minutes or so, and then water, breathe, try another one. I found that worked for me, and kept my interest up more than trying to push through a workout I couldn't really finish with good form or focus.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I noticed an almost immediate increase in endurance when I was swimming. First swim I was hard pressed to hit 100 meters for each stroke in 30 minutes, by the next week, I was able to make a full 400 meters in about an hour and a half. Month and a half later, I'm up to 400 meters in under an hour, and I've swapped out my easiest "rest" stroke (side stroke) for the butter fly in all the sets, and I'm starting to add it back in now instead of taking the 2 - 3 minute break between sets.

Same goes for the treadmill. When I started (about 3 weeks ago with this one), I was struggling to keep it at 2.5 mph for 15 minutes, now I'm up to walking an average of 2.8 for 30 minutes on a .5 or 1% incline.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I started walking in December. In February, I added resistance bands a couple times a week.
    I'm doing better, but I can't say that it's easier. Instead, I just keep trying to do a little more.

BABY STEPS! That's my motto for 2013. So far, it's working.

As for being terrified to exercise, I know that feeling. It's why I started this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10234-exercise-phobia-face-the-fear

There are only a few of us in there, but we encourage one another to keep moving, doing what we can do.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, a little farther every day. Then I moved onto exercise DVDs. I made it a goal to get 25% of the way through, then 50%, then 75%, then 100%. This gave my body time to get used to exercise, I didn't get hurt, and I didn't feel defeated.
  • littlefieldgrl
    Options
    I do smoke some and i wish i could stop. Working out is harder but i find that the more you work the less you smoke. Dont give up you can do it.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You should feel improvements every time you workout in the beginning. I started with boot camp style videos and using the eliptical. The first time I did the video I thought I was going to puke. The next time I did it that feeling got better, not gone completely, but better. Whatever workout you do should never feel easy no matter what size or fitness level you are. If it gets easy you need to kick up again. I am in 100x better shape than I was last March when I started working out but, I still do workouts that make me want to die, lol. Funny thing is that when I am done with the workout I feel awesome. Like I really accomplished something. Best feeling ever. :smile:
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy when it comes to exercise. I find something that looks interesting, get all the proper gear, read up on it, do everything possible associated to the exercise and then I do day 1. It feels great! I'm proud of myself. Then I do day 2 and suddenly my feet hurt. my ankles hurt. my knees hurt. Day 3- I give up. Instead of taking it slow & steady I'm off like a shot and injure myself. I have horrible feet & ankles to begin with so doing higher impact exercise with an extra 80-90 lbs on my body is not smart, but still I insist on doing it. In my head I'm a skinny little runner. Too bad my head hasn't told the rest of me that. :embarassed:
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 354, even then I was able to run pretty regularly and do situps and pushups, pullups, played basketball, all that jazz. I have always been able to get around well for my size. So I guess it really depends on how well you carry your weight. But even so, there is room for improvement. In about three weeks when I first started full time exercising, I cut my mile from 16 mins to 7 mins. You just sort of build your way up and dont rush into it if you can't really handle it.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    2 weeks
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    When I could run a mile again without stopping then running that same mile faster... it took several weeks, but that's when I felt better about fitness than just lifting heavier. Now, I rather lift an extra 5 lbs onto my PR's.
  • clau3260
    clau3260 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, can't tell you exactly how many days it took. Only a few for sure. Don't get me wrong, not everything becomes easier. There are many times I have to pause, may not do all the repetitions, or some moves I simply cannot get my body to do. But as the days pass by, I am realizing that I am starting to do some exercises that even a couple of weeks ago I would not even try. The main thing is pace yourself. Accept your limitations and even when there are some things or moves we cannot accomplish because of the weight we are carrying, just don't give up. Be stubborn and you'll surprise yourself.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If at some time in the recent past you were doing "hardcore workouts," you will probably get back into it a lot faster than you expect.

Before a year ago, I spent the vast majority of the prior ten years either lying in bed, on the couch, or sitting on my butt. Yes, ten years. Last summer I decided to start walking on a treadmill, and I easily and quickly saw improvement. After a couple of months, I grew weary of that "nutritious food and exercise" thing and went back to sitting on my butt and eating ice cream.

About the beginning of February this year, I grew weary of the "eat crap and laze around" thing and went back to eating healthfully and using the treadmill. I wasn't where I was when I left off, but I definitely wasn't back where I'd been back in the summer either. It grows easier every time I use it-- or rather, I increase the challenge in different ways each time I use it, because I can handle it.

Here's the reason to start slow, almost to the point where you're not even sure you're really challenging yourself: You will improve quickly, and you will like that feeling, and you will keep doing it. If you start a little too tough for what you're ready for, you won't see the improvement as quickly and you may become frustrated and you may quit doing it. Doing it totally beats not doing it, even if you're not doing it super tough.

Good luck! :)
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me is going as far as I can, when I can. For example, I started the first day of getting back to exercise just going until I felt like crap. That was about 15 minutes of hard elliptical. I then shot for 15 minutes the rest of the week, and then when I felt it getting easier, I nudged it up to 20 the next week. I like this approach because you can actually feel yourself improving.

With strength training, it helps to have a partner or friend to spot you and encourage you to push through the initial feeling of "I can't do this." I also notice that when I'm listening to music during cardio, I work a lot harder and can go for much longer. I agree with pacing yourself - if you overdo it by being too ambitious, you're less likely to continue it enough to make it a habit. Best of luck!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy when it comes to exercise. I find something that looks interesting, get all the proper gear, read up on it, do everything possible associated to the exercise and then I do day 1. It feels great! I'm proud of myself. Then I do day 2 and suddenly my feet hurt. my ankles hurt. my knees hurt. Day 3- I give up. Instead of taking it slow & steady I'm off like a shot and injure myself. I have horrible feet & ankles to begin with so doing higher impact exercise with an extra 80-90 lbs on my body is not smart, but still I insist on doing it. In my head I'm a skinny little runner. Too bad my head hasn't told the rest of me that. :embarassed:

Have you tried yoga? I know a guy who had some serious joint issues and got into amazing shape doing ashtanga yoga. It's very strength oriented, but there's a lot of stretching as well, and zero impact on the joints.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out at Curves, I couldn't get around the circuit before I would get light headed. So, I'd leave the circuit until I felt better (I realy didn't need to freak anyone out,fainting), but then I would finish my workout. I'm so much fitter now that I can hardly believe that was me.

Be patient and keep exercising.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Five days a week at first.

If you can do 16 minutes today, try for 17 tomorrow. Take two days off to stretch and relax, then get right back at it.

Once you are able to do 30 minutes, you can reduce the frequency to three times a week, and start picking up some light weights.

In January, I damn near killed myself trying to run to the end of my block. I could do 10 push-ups on my knees, and about 5 sit-ups. Now I am able to jog 1/4 of the track each time I go, and I am slowly building up from there. I haven't tried push-ups or sit-ups in a while, but I use a 45 pound barbell twice a week.

It gets MUCH easier the more you do it!