I'm injured and can't workout!!!

Options
I was involved in a car accident several nights ago. I'm stiff and sore and have neck and back pain. I was doing so well, only 2 pounds from my goal, and beginning to see some results from the weight training I was doing. Now I can't workout. Any suggestions??

Replies

• merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Rest. Take care of yourself. Speak to a physio to learn some rehab exercises that will be safe for you. Rest. Rest. Rest. I did not rest after an injury and three years later, I have a limp to live with and daily pain.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is what and how much you eat so just watch your nutrition while you heal.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    when my father was laid up from surgery he was told to go to the gym and use a hand bike. he hated it but it might be a good options if you can move your arms a bit without too much pain
  • GymMum8
    GymMum8 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'd make sure you are spot on with your nutrition while you are recovering. Rest up, no point in pushing yourself to get back into it. Hydrotherapy is great. Even if you can only manage walking laps in the pool.
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. Right now it hurts to move, but hopefully that will ease up soon and I can slowly begin to exercise again. I'm having a hard time just being still. I like to workout and miss it!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was injured too and now can't run or even walk well---but I CAN swim and use the stationary bike. I wonder what you can do?
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, nutrition is key when you are down. Take care of yourself, listen to your body, heal...then...come back with a vengeance :) Best wishes!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm into the "do what I can rather than being upset about what I can't" sort of mindset. That mindset cost me seven months and fifteen pounds. Life is one set-back, injury, or sickness after another. Can you walk on a treadmill for 15 minutes a day? Can you do yoga? Don't ask yourself what you like, or what you prefer, ask yourself what you can reasonably and safely do, and do that.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Rest and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT LOSING THOSE TWO POUNDS RIGHT NOW... Get enough nutrition to maintain. Make it QUALITY nutrition. When you are recovered, you can get back on track. Your body needs the rest and nutrition to heal. That being said, talk to your Dr. about things he recommends about recovery.. Some movement is USUALLY recommended BUT you have to know what is good and what is not. This is a time when your body's recovery mode is most important. Get well soon.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am occasionally disabled (MS) and yoga and or water fitness are good bets when even walking is out of the question. But really as an RN too i know that nutrition is key so don't fret over immobility for short periods of time. Best to let yourself heal and eat moderate portion sizes of restorative fresh foods.
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I am going to my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get moving in the right direction again. I appreciate the suggestions and concerns. And once I'm healed, I'm going to kick some butt! Going to get some new songs for my Zumba classes. Didn't know how much I loved teaching them until I couldn't. Oh, and Jillian Michaels......I'm coming back for you too!!