Not a success but an enlightenment

Options
mtc5995
mtc5995 Posts: 44 Member
I have only been on this journey one week today. My husband and I went out to do a little shopping this afternoon. While we were out we decided to go to OCharleys (which is my favorite restaurant). I ordered soup steak and loaded baked potato. That was my typical order for there in the past. Half way through the bowl of soup and one roll, I was satisfied and should have stopped. I didn't. I went on to finish the soup and another half of roll the baked potato and half the steak. I left there feeling guilty just knowing I went over my calories for the day. Went to another store and it happened. I was SOOO sick, to put it mildly. I was in the restroom room 3 times within 40 minutes. I don't think I have ever been that sick. I couldn't wait to get home which is a 35 minute drive. But I continued getting the few things we needed. Then we left and came home. By that time I was not feeling like dieing anymore and I was starting to think straight again. So I inputted my info and I am still under mu calorie for the day. WOO -HOO. Even though I now know the bad choices and made and why I got sick the way I did. I still see it as a success because I salvaged my calorie intake and I also know when we go somewhere like that order smaller and still eat less. I'm now looking so forward to going to the park with family tomorrow to get some walking and play with my guys.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Or...just order the usual, but have them pack half of it up for you before they serve it so it's out of the way, you don't overeat, and you've got leftovers for the next day. :drinker:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    good for you. u sound like you are ready. when u are ready it will work out. good luck.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    :( Sorry you felt so ill, I definitely know what it's like to feel really sick after overeating!
    But, YAY for learning about listening to your body and knowing when you're full.
    I agree that in the future you should still order what you want, and just have them package up half (or whatever portion is too much for you). :flowerforyou:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My husband has that revelation every time I make curry, beef stroganoff, or buy him a bag of chips. I like making these things for him, because they make him happy. His choice to eat the whole pan (or bag of chips) is something he regrets every time. I don't eat these things, but we have plenty of room in the fridge to pack up leftovers. There is never a reason to eat until he feels sick.

What's important here is that you APPLY the lesson. Next time you have a huge plate of food in front of you, REMEMBER what today felt like. You can always make a better choice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a Davy Downer here, but can someone please help me understand the victory that we're celebrating here? And what made the OP sick? How did the OP come in under calories for the day? I feel like I went to the restroom and missed a key scene in a movie and now I'm whispering to my wife trying to figure out what's going on for the rest of the show.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got the same reaction... Throwing up is not like not eating the calories at all..... She still ate them......
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger victory here is that you stopped yourself from eating the whole steak. That said I've worked at an O'Charley's. If things are still the same, it's an evil corporation. They don't give employees a free meal even on a double shift. You even have to pay money to eat one of those glorious buttery rolls.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a Davy Downer here, but can someone please help me understand the victory that we're celebrating here? And what made the OP sick? How did the OP come in under calories for the day? I feel like I went to the restroom and missed a key scene in a movie and now I'm whispering to my wife trying to figure out what's going on for the rest of the show.

She learned an important lesson about overeating and portion control. Rather unpleasantly because she got sick from overeating, but it's a mistake she won't make again. I'm going to assume her calorie target is 1800 or so, and she ate 1200-1500 calories for lunch. Possible to still be under calories for the day, just means she ate just about everything all in one sitting. </whispered summary>

OP, portion control is one of those things that once you grasp, it helps immensely. I'm glad you learned from this experience - knowing when you've had enough will be very important to your success. Good luck =)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Were you sick from eating too much or was it a psychological reaction to feeling like you went over your calories? It sounded like the latter but maybe I read it wrong?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    markey_mark_wtf.gif

I'm definitely a little confused. Maybe leaving the whole "daily calorie" part out of the story would have helped it make more sense. But I guess I can see where you are coming from. It is more of an eye-opener.

However, I have days where I feel sick and sometimes things come back up, but I still count those full calories, because there is absolutely no way of knowing exactly how much came back up. Maybe that's just me, though. Or maybe you did coubnt them and I was just not understanding fully lol... Also entirely possible.

And if I do go over my calories for the day, so what? It's another learning experience, and I can choose to just move on from it without guilt, because food is not bad, and I am not bad for eating it.

But the best thing you could take away from this experience is the memory. Remember it, and next time empower yourself to make a better choice. You can totally do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

She learned an important lesson about overeating and portion control. Rather unpleasantly because she got sick from overeating, but it's a mistake she won't make again. I'm going to assume her calorie target is 1800 or so, and she ate 1200-1500 calories for lunch. Possible to still be under calories for the day, just means she ate just about everything all in one sitting. </whispered summary>

How did she get sick from overeating? She said this is her normal order at one of her usual restaurants. Her system didn't re-calibrate itself in the short span of time she's been cutting calories, has it?

(and yes, portion control. good to learn it. for me, i have to order less, because whatever is on my plate is gettin ate. nothing makes it home alive. but i'm still baffled by other parts of this story.)
  • mtc5995
    mtc5995 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok let me better explain this. I had only had 130 cal. for breakfast - 1 serving of captain crunch and a 1/4 cup skim milk. Then the ocharleys food. My calorie goal is 1840. I had sf jello like at 2 am. That is literally all i put in my mouth for the day except for water. I never said i threw it up, I said i was in the bathroom 3 times. I didnt throw it up. It came out the other way. I was trying to be clean about the situation. But we all know that the food it ate that say was not the same that was expelled. So i did eat the food and the calories. To me the success, if u wanna call it that, is what i learned from the incident. That is a memory that will stay with me. I am not one to forget that makes me feel so horrible. As far as what made me so sick, I can only guess. I would have to say that changing the way i had been eating only for a week and then setting a meal the size I did was somehow a shock to my system. Even though I stayed under calories, I have not eaten a large meal like that in a while. My dr told me that now that i am over 40 my body and my system will react differently to things now than it used to. I will chalk this up to a lesson learned the hard way.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Next time you go, I suggest getting the salad instead of soup and vegetables instead of the potato and eat the whole steak! :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok let me better explain this. I had only had 130 cal. for breakfast - 1 serving of captain crunch and a 1/4 cup skim milk. Then the ocharleys food. My calorie goal is 1840. I had sf jello like at 2 am. That is literally all i put in my mouth for the day except for water. I never said i threw it up, I said i was in the bathroom 3 times. I didnt throw it up. It came out the other way. I was trying to be clean about the situation. But we all know that the food it ate that say was not the same that was expelled. So i did eat the food and the calories. To me the success, if u wanna call it that, is what i learned from the incident. That is a memory that will stay with me. I am not one to forget that makes me feel so horrible. As far as what made me so sick, I can only guess. I would have to say that changing the way i had been eating only for a week and then setting a meal the size I did was somehow a shock to my system. Even though I stayed under calories, I have not eaten a large meal like that in a while. My dr told me that now that i am over 40 my body and my system will react differently to things now than it used to. I will chalk this up to a lesson learned the hard way.

Thank you for explaining! I definitely did misunderstand. I am never one to put anything delicately, LMAO (I have two sons, farting, pooping, and throwing up are regular meal conversation) so I guess I missed the cues.

Good for you for being aware of your body and being open to learning and change! :)
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned since I've been on this journey (3.5 months now) is when I go out to eat, I immediately ask for a "to-go" container when I order my food. Every Monday night, me, my husband and our 13-year-old son eat dinner at Applebee's. They have their $5 burgers and half-priced appetizers. I order the Cowboy Burger (minus the lettuce and tomato), vegetables instead of fries and a Diet Coke. I immediately cut the burger in half and put it in the "to-go" container and eat the other half with the vegetables. Before, I would eat the whole burger and fries. Now, I'm actually FULL after eating half the burger and almost all of the vegetables (and I hardly make it through a glass of Diet Coke). I don't know if my stomach has shrunk, or if it's all in my head (the feeling of being full). I plan my whole day of eating around my trip to Applebee's so I can make sure I save enough calories and don't go over. It gives me the satisfaction of being able to indulge in a burger, plus I have lunch for the next day. :glasses:
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Then don't. Just don't.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's always wonderful when pooping leads to enlightenment.

*kitten* happens.

http://www.thejaywalker.com/pages/****_happens.html. (replace the stars by the correct word)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Were you sick from eating too much or was it a psychological reaction to feeling like you went over your calories? It sounded like the latter but maybe I read it wrong?

This is my guess. My friend just described a similar incident admitting it was the latter re: sushi, just because it's raw fish. Just two little pieces of sushi if you know what size they are tiny. Hours later after playing it off for a beau she lost it due to her mental state about having eaten it. It can happen. Just sayin'.

Let me explain. Peanut butter has lots of cals but little volume so would not produce that reaction if you slathered it on a cinnamon roll. It's small. That's what I mean.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

OOps! it was the other end. You may now be getting enough fiber and fluids in your system due to your new eating habits to expel your meals in a more efficient and normal manner. Some people go right after. Other people think going 3 days to a week apart is regular. Not sure where you fell before. The other option is that something about this particular version of your favorite meal was bad and made you seek a toilet 3 times in a row. Unfortunately our bodies as much as we personify them when talking about what we are doing are not a separate entity with a mind of it's own. It will be our lot each and everyday to remain conscious of what we consume and how it fits into our daily plan. I only point this out so that your new epiphany does not lull you into a false sense of security beleiving you're body will alert you to food mistakes everytime and that mistaken beleif derails your weight loss. I'm glad you're getting full sooner. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with pushing the plate aside or asking the waiter to remove it from the table when you are done. Assertiveness is something to learn as well as how much to order or how to have it packaged. There will be mistakes. Be brave enough to stop them immediately. There will come a point where you need lots more cals and don't worry that your body will "reject" it as that's what you felt was happening. You the person the mind the captain of your ship will always rightly be in control of what goes and stays in your body. Good luck. The end. :flowerforyou:
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Or...just order the usual, but have them pack half of it up for you before they serve it so it's out of the way, you don't overeat, and you've got leftovers for the next day. :drinker:

I like this idea. :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!