Hey Everyone

Options
Bane81
Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
What's up all,

I'm brand new to this site and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm 31 years old and have lived in Canada all my life. For nearly half my life I was an alcoholic and drug abuser, partying and hanging out with the wrong crowd. My weight went from really low at 150 lbs to finally ballooning up to 310 lbs. I'm 6'2 and definitely not a small guy at all, but 310 lbs was because of a diet of beer, pizza, and other fast food junk.

In May 2012 I checked into a rehab facility to clean myself up. During my time there The Dark Knight Rises came out. I got inspired by the villain Bane because the actor had to do a huge transformation to put on the muscle required to play the character. I joined a local gym there and started to do something about my unhealthy body. 3 months later I left rehab and joined up with Goodlife Fitness and got a personal trainer.

It's now been 7 months, my weight is down to 265lbs, body fat is 27.2% (from 39%) and my fat free mass is 192 lbs (up from 184 lbs). In fact, my trainer is the one who told me about myfitnesspal. I`m really glad to find a site like this online so I can record everything I eat, and share my story to recovery and success with others. If I can inspire 1 person, then I made a different.

Anyone looking for a friend that`ll help motivate you and myself, free free to add me. My end goal is 215-225 lbs with 10-12% bf.

PS: I`ve been clean and sober since June 2012.

Replies

• cyndi_lou_lou
    Options
    Congratulations on being clean and sober!! That is definitely something to be proud of!! Good luck with all that you are doing!!

22101804.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • inashen20
    Options
    congrats and welcome!! your story is really inspiring :)
  • acq8028
    acq8028 Posts: 9
    Options
    Way to go!!! Congratulations!! You turned you life around and your story will inspire others. You should be so proud of yourself and all of the accomplishments that you have made so far. I am sure that you will met your weight loss goals and continue to inspire others.
    I am new to my fitness pal and looking for friends to keep me motivated and share helpful suggestions, ideas, tips, recipes, etc...to help me reach and maintain my fitness goals. Add me as a friend. Thanks.
  • ursiestar
    ursiestar Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming clean and sober, I can only imagine it's been a tough journey for you, but really well done on turning it around. You should be very proud of where you are at and who you have become, it's an inspirational story to read and thank you for sharing this with us.

Feel free to add me as a friend I could do with all the support thats on offer and some inspiration to work out more. I am in the UK so time difference can be a little bit of an issue as I find with some of my American friends, but I have lots of support to give :smile:

Urs
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,713 Member
    Options
    Bane,

What an inspiration you are! Congratulations on finding the strength to get so far, so few are able to battle addictions and come out the other side. I have no doubt your story will touch many people, it definitely did for me. Huge hugs!

Kat
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    Incredible story! You've come a long way and it sounds like you're on fire. You are a great inspiration! Welcome to MFP
  • MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! In Greece we have a song that sais : If you want to be a saint you have to sin first and then regret (if you have the time)...... lol! Good job and I believe you can do it better! I m new here too, since february but if I can help I 'll be glad to!
  • LizLeigh19
    LizLeigh19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good job on being clean and sober, it's not an easy thing to do. I found this site to be rather helpful and everyone here is super supportive. If you're looking for more support, feel free to add me :)
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your succes so far That's wonderful! Hard core will power right there. :) You totally got this! Add me if you would like, I am on here every day to give and receive support! MFP makes getting healthy fun.
  • Fit_Mom81
    Fit_Mom81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you on all of your successes! You have got to be a very strong person to have overcome all of that. You are an inspiration! :)
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I definitely think joining a site like this will help me achieve my goals that much faster. Great to see lots of folks from all walks of life on here. Have a Happy St Patrick's Day weekend all (coming from an Irish man). Remember if you do drink, don't overdo it and destroy all the hard work this week!
  • cazzawazza75
    Options
    Congratulations on being clean & sober, that is definately something to be proud of. It sounds as if you have really turned your life around and can now inspire others.

Caz
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm so happy for you , congrats ..
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Congrats...we all know it's very hard to change, especially when addiction is part of the picture! Good luck on your journey!