Looking for Bread

Options
mtc5995
mtc5995 Posts: 44 Member
I make our bread, tortillas, buns, and rolls. Does anyone have any good low cal recipes. I'm still searching for the right one. I did find the 40 cal tortilla recipe here - which i will be trying. I just have not had much luck with the others. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Becky

Replies

• swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    I try and stay away from bread personally but here is a really simple recipie that you can adapt with wholemeal flour

"Irish Soda Bread"

Irish Soda Bread requires only a few simple ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Throw in a cup of raisins if you like, and some orange zest, too. Traditional Irish Soda Bread is made without these, however, as it was made as a daily bread to accompany meals. Enjoy the original version warm with a little low fat spread with some tea, or as an accompaniment to a lean beef stew.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour
    Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients together with a whisk. Make a well in the center and add 1 cup of the buttermilk, reserving 1/2 cup. Combine dry ingredients and buttermilk with a fork, gradually adding more of the remaining liquid until a soft dough is formed.

Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface for 1 minute. Form into a slightly flattened circle. Place on a parchment lined (or silicone baking mat) cookie sheet. Mark a large 1/2-inch deep X with a sharp knife and bake soda bread for 40-45 minutes. The bread is ready when it is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Yield 1 round loaf (8-10 wedges or slices).

Per Serving: Calories 148, Calories from Fat 6, Total Fat 0.7g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 1 mg, Sodium 582mg, Carbohydrate 30.5g, Fiber 1g, Protein 5g
  • MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend works in a bakery I 'll ask him and I wil post the healthier recipe :-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The main ingredient of bread is wheat flour (or an equivalent), and there's only so low you will be able to go in calories, in practical terms, before it's not really bread any more. What has worked for me is just eating normal bread, but in smaller portions so that it fits into my goals. I also make sure that it's worth it, and generally only eat my own home-made bread, or a store-bought artisan style loaf.

Obviously if you make your own, you can control how much fat or sugar (if any) is added, but you're still left with the basic calorie content of the basic ingredient. I'd say - enjoy whichever bread you like, and if you have trouble fitting it into your goals, just eat it in smaller portions and maybe not every day. For sandwiches, anything that is thinner (so you're using less actual bread) like wraps, pitas etc will help cut the cals.
  • mtc5995
    mtc5995 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also try to avoid breads but I cook for 6 and sometimes some form of bread is required. If I can sneak in a healthier version for the rest, they are all the better and one less thing for me to be concerned with. My guys are extremely picky eaters but they love most types rolls with dinner. I know they don't need alot of bread products so while looking for healthier it also has to be tasty for them. This is not an easy task.
    Swissbrit - My bread recipe is alot like the Irish Soda Bread but mine has a couple of more ingredients. I like the taste but its horrible on calories and my guys do not like it. Thanks for your version. They may like it better.
    MarieAngelacf - I will keep a watch out for your post - thanks
  • pathayes12
    Options
    Cybros Breads if you must have them are awesome. Most health food stores with have it.
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump- I'm going through a bread making phase at the moment!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble controlling portions, make rolls and freeze what you don't need immediately. Then just take out one at a time.
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    The main ingredient of bread is wheat flour (or an equivalent), and there's only so low you will be able to go in calories, in practical terms, before it's not really bread any more. What has worked for me is just eating normal bread, but in smaller portions so that it fits into my goals. I also make sure that it's worth it, and generally only eat my own home-made bread, or a store-bought artisan style loaf.

Obviously if you make your own, you can control how much fat or sugar (if any) is added, but you're still left with the basic calorie content of the basic ingredient. I'd say - enjoy whichever bread you like, and if you have trouble fitting it into your goals, just eat it in smaller portions and maybe not every day. For sandwiches, anything that is thinner (so you're using less actual bread) like wraps, pitas etc will help cut the cals.

This ^^^ and in most bread recipes you can safely (without affecting the rise) up to a third of the recipe's white flour with whole wheat flour. That will lower the calories slightly, but more importantly it will add more fibre and protein to the bread.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I made those breads and rolls before and they are really yummy and with mostly (if not all) whole wheat flour, they're not too bad for you.

Sandwich Bread, really fluffy: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-wheat-bread-i/detail.aspx

100% Whole Wheat: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/100-percent-whole-wheat-bread/detail.aspx

Fluffy rolls, yummy and pretty (my new favorit!): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/light-wheat-rolls/detail.aspx

Herbed rolls, great with a pasta dish or soup: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herbed-batter-rolls/detail.aspx

Biscuits, I replaced half of the white with whole wheat flour and they still turned out great: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jps-big-daddy-biscuits/detail.aspx

You can replace some of the white flour with whole wheat in most bread recipes without any impact on the final product. To pump up the protein in a recipe and help with the rising (especially with whole wheat breads) add some gluten to the dough (about 1 Tbsp per cup of flour).
  • jjkath
    jjkath Posts: 17
    Options
    Peter Reinhart's Pain l'Ancienne. It makes long thin loaves. I usually slice each one into thirds, and then each third is sliced lengthwise, to make 6 average sized pieces of bread. Each one only has about 75 calories, and it's amazingly good, chewy, dense country bread.
  • MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options

This ^^^ and in most bread recipes you can safely (without affecting the rise) up to a third of the recipe's white flour with whole wheat flour. That will lower the calories slightly, but more importantly it will add more fibre and protein to the bread.

Yoy can make bread with only whole wheat flour ! :-)
  • donnita67
    Options
    :-)
  • Clm81401
    Clm81401 Posts: 61
    Options
    The most help I have is that in "General", you do not need the oil/butter. In recipes for the past it was never used. Your bread will not be quite as smooth and the shelf life will go faster. Lets face it a few Hunny callories is still worth cutting out.

Anouther option is make Pop Overs or also called Yorkshire Pudding.
    Good Luck, Cec