Do you work out twice a day?

Options
I'm curious to hear from people who workout twice per day. What kinds of workouts do you do? The same thing twice or a different kind of workout AM & PM?

Its something I've been thinking of doing occasionally, and while sometimes I feel like I just need to get up and do more, I'm also worried I might just run myself into the ground.

How do you find the balance?

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't normally but I actually did yesterday! I like lifting weights and strength training so I did that yesterday morning, but I am also training for a hiking challenge in July (25 miles, over 3 mountains in under 12 hours *gulp* lol) so I wanted to get some walking in too so had a little 4.5 mile walk in the evening.

My legs were feeling it as I had done lunges and squats in the morning but other than that I was fine. I'd say as long as you feel fine and you are taking in enough calories to cover it then it wouldn't be a problem.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Regularly. At the moment I'm running 3 mornings a week (for about an hour each time) and I try to swim most days (1500m).

You aren't likely to run yourself into the ground just because you exercise twice a day. Give it a try.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    During my lunch hour at work, I do Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size, and at night, I am currently in the middle of a P90X / Insanity hybrid workout.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Generally not for general fitness.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes. running in the mornings, combined with yoga and/or spinning and/or more running later in the day. i find it gives me more energy, to be honest.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Wow. How do you guys have time for that? I work and go to school full time and barely have enough time/energy to work out once a WEEK.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No.

I've tried it but it left my central nervous system fried.

Once a day is plenty.
  • hnzoff
    hnzoff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    because of my work schedule, i have the chance to work out twice a day. i work a split shift with my family biz. so b4 lunch i do my run or walk for an hour or so, i rotate my run/walk days. then at night when the kids go to sleep i do about45min of strenght training.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I workout all day. Then I'll still go to the gym. I will actually walk all day ( today I walked over 20km for fun) and then still do another workout...usually lifting.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do. Usually one session of cardio then later in the evening a session of strength training
  • kais79
    kais79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour overnight shifts 4 nights one week, 3 nights the other, rotating bi-weekly. I also have online classes. With my schedule I only have the opportunity to work out on my days off, so I tend to go twice each day. One workout I'll do strength training (rotating upper body and lower body every other day) and some cardio, the other time I'll just do cardio. My employer sponsors a fitness challenge where we track our steps walked/ran so one workout is normally not enough to make my goal of 10,000 steps a day. It works fine for me. All you can really do is test it out for a few days/a week as everyone is different so no one here can really tell you if it'll work out well for you.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I always do on Mondays, because I have a Pilates class in the morning and a group training run in the evening. There have been days when the Pilates beats up my abs and hips so much that running is unpleasant, but we usually don't do more than 3-4 mile runs on Monday nights, so it's not too bad. I have another Pilates class on Thursdays--sometimes I can run afterwards, sometimes I can't.

If I do it the other way, it's easier: run in the morning, do some sort of workout in the afternoon or evening. But right now the classes I want are scheduled in the morning, so I have to adjust.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. If I do weights in the a.m. I will go for a run in the evening. It just depends on my schedule.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I do a yoga class in the morning(6 am), a run in the afternoon after work(4 pm) and then sometimes a yoga class in the evening(6:30 pm) That's Monday-Thursday, Friday-Sunday no yoga classes, just running.
  • rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do 3 or 4 days a week. It is usually swimming in the morning then cycling later. I also have one day where I bike then run.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You just have to work yo to it, like when you were first starting out. You can't expect to add a daily bootcamp to your normal routine.

That being said, it isn't necessary for fitness.

I do it on special occasions. I work out pretty much every morning to stay in the habit, but sometimes have opportunities to do other things, like take dance classes or go hiking with my partner. I normally average 2-3 days a week when I get a second work out. It isn't always planned. I am getting ready to work out this morning because I don't know if my partner is going to get up for sailing, since he has been working overtime out of town all week.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I generally do very intense (but shorter -- like around 35-40 min) workout early in the morning. And then I do a low impact (usually walking, but occasionally weight training or yoga) workout on my lunch hour.

For me, getting in the solid work out early sets me up for a good day, then if I'm able to get a 4 mile walk in, that's a bonus.
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    During the week I do 1 hour of weight training at lunch. Then in the evening I do abs and cardio. Weekends normally consist of at least one cardio session per day. I've been doing this for about a month now and so far its been working great.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 2 Mile Leslie Sansone walk in the morning and a 3 or 4 mile Leslie Walk in the evening!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I teach fitness, so three days a week I work out two or three hours, sometimes four (if I'm covering a class). I can do two, but any more than that and I"m left feeling pretty fried...