Should it matter?

Options
I know it's important to stick to your calorie allowance, but what about sticking to your carb and sugar allowance ect?
My fruit juice for breakfast alone has gone over my sugar limit. Will this affect my weight loss? Or just my overall health? Any help would be great!

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    MFPs sugar allowance level is ridiculously low. I just tend to ignore this. With the other figures, I try to be round and about, however the main allowance for me is the calorie limit. Ax
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I mostly focus on the calories and then try to get a 40-30-30 ratio of carbs-protein-fat. I don't get there very often 'cause I'm a carb freak, so I'm sure my sugar intake is horrific according to MFP. What I'm doing is working, so I'm sticking with it.
  • daisyluv3210
    Options
    I dont know all the facts or anything about that but from my own personal experience, it helps you loose weight quicker if you try and stick around the numbers that they give you. It kind of just shows you what your eating to much of that could be hurting your chances of getting healthier.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    MFP only takes in consideration added sugar, not natural sugars......Also if you happen to notice when you change your goals some of the other things don't change....like fiber and sugar , you need to update those manually.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-the-food-pyramid-for-weight-loss.html
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    yea, I've ignored the sugars -- removed it from my profile and just watch calories, fat & protein. You will drive yourself NUTS watching sodium, sugar, etc. I am watching my cholestrol bc I have borderline high blood work, but thats here nor there.

I try to ensure my sugar is from natural sources (ie fruit) or keep things like chocolate to a minimum but I still eat it because uhm, otherwise I'll eat a whole damn bag of something!!

So no, if its natural and not over the top ridiculous, it won't matter. I've lost 21lbs in 65 days and uhm, I don't pay attention to that at ALL!! Good luck girl!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You can stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

The only thing that I would say about going over on your carbs is that it may get in the way of protein and fats that your body needs.

Don't bother tracking your sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This is inspired me to try to remove sugar tracking now, I go over it almost everyday, all it takes is a little juice, or some fruit, and a coffee and I'm in the red. Screw that noise. :tongue: :laugh:
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I basically stay within the calorie range and try and get as much protein as possible, while pretty much ignoring the other two (all foods have either carbs of fat in so you don't exactly have to try to get them). I am trying to stop my muscles wasting away as much as possible, plus it's "harder" to get protein (not that hard though), so I concentrate on that.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Unless you have health issues, I think most people ignore sugar intake. I worked on controlling my sugar intake to what MFP recommended and found it impossible. I eat 3 servings of fruit everyday and that alone put me over.
  • Emily_L20
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've been great help!
  • iheartwhitetea
    iheartwhitetea Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I only monitor sugar where it does not include fresh fruit. I say eat as much fresh fruit as you want! Although, I have cut out fruit juice. I love fruit juice, especially apple juice, but what happens with fruit juice, unfortunately, is you get a lot of the sugar in the liquid without the healthy benefits of the physical pulp of the fruit which is where a LOT of the fiber and vitamins are. When I want fruit juice, I usually go to something that has blended fruit in it, as opposed to pure juice. Just a suggestion!