bariatric surgery

Options
i am prepping for the lap band surgery. i should be having the procedure in about 5-6 weeks. having the surgery is a part of an over-all program that includes nutritional counseling and a fairly rigid list of expectations that need to be in line before getting approved for surgery. then you continue to get support and are carefully monitored that you are sticking with the program after. has anyone else been in a program like this or had either form of bariatric surgery, either the lap band or the gastric bypass? most people in the program choose the gastric bypass because typically you lose more weight with that procedure but i am determined to have the same results with the less radical lap band surgery. i also want no part of the "dumping syndrome" that comes along with the gastric bypass. risking nausea and vomiting as a result of making occasional bad food choices isn't the right choice for me. i'll be happy with a smaller stomach and using my own good judgment.

anyway, i'd love to hear from any others either in preparation for bariatric surgery or anyone who has had it. please share!

Replies

• cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy in April. With the bypass, you will lose weight faster, but the results of the bypass, sleeve or lap band, just as with anything else, depends on if you are following the plan. The surgery is just a tool. You still have to have the determination to make it work. One of the men in my support group has lost 240 pounds with the lap band.
    As for the "dumping syndrome", it can still happen with the lap band, just usually does not happen as often. Take very small bites, chew well. When you begin to feel full, do not try to finish everything on your plate. I have already lost 67 pounds, and feel amazing.
    You sound determined to make it work, so I think you will do well..... The lap band will help you get where you want to be! You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Good Luck to you!!
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    they don't offer the sleeve at the bariatric group i am seeing. where does the sleeve go? is it similar to the band? i thought the dumping syndrome was more a result of fatty and sweet foods directly hitting the part of the intestine that they have brought up to meet your new smaller stomach. i certainly understand that your new smaller stomach will not be happy if you try to force too much in it, but my understanding is you won't have that hyper-sensitivity to high fat and sugar foods that the bypass creates, because of the re-routing of your intestines.

anyway, thanks for your response and congrats on your weight loss.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    There are quite a few of us on here who have lap bands. I was banded in Oct of 2008. I'm a fairly slow loser, mainly because I have a sweet tooth and I didn't give up the foods my surgeon recommended I give up... until recently. I cannot eat bread, rice, or pasta. If it will swell up after I eat it, I will vomit it back up. Having said that, I would get banded again in a heartbeat! :heart: I love my band. It really is the tool that I needed to be successful. After about 6 months of not losing last fall/winter (during an extremely stressful time in my life) I joined MFP and have lost 15 pounds since mid March. I'm making slow progress but learning as I go and making lifestyle changes. The best thing my band has done for me was prevent me from gaining a bunch of weight during my 6 month stall... I didn't really watch *what* I ate so much but my band helped me control how much of it I ate.

It sounds like you've done your research and are not going into this thinking it's a quick fix. Best of luck to you. :smile:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason!

Good luck to you.

I had the lap band in January of 2008 and had a lot of success that first year. I became very motivated to lose 100 lbs by my year anniversary and I did it! I started out at 265 and I have mananged (for the most part) to keep off the 100 lbs. The last year or so has been a lot of plateauing and yo-yoing. 10-20 lbs kept coming and going mainly because I am a stress/emotional eater. I'm getting back on track so I can confidantly say "I've KEPT OFF 100 lbs!"

I do work out. I was working out at LEAST 60 minutes a day 5-6 times a week in that first year. Then I met my boyfriend, fell in love, and we moved in together. I work full time and he goes to law school so our time together is very limited. He is very supportive and encouraging, but I get sucked into feeling guilty for needing "ME" time at the gym.

I have YET to consistently get 5 days a week of workouts (since my incredibly driven 1st year post band) but for the most part get in 4 days a week. I mix things up, sometimes work out in the mornings before work, go to group exercise classes after work, I was jogging outside at least 2x a week and then it started hitting the high 90s & triple digit weather. It's all a work in progress.

Having the lap band has been the best decision of my life. While the results are a little slower than gastric, I was never into rearranging my insides (my mom and sister have had gastric because that was their only option and it's worked well for them). You do have to realize that the surgery is a weight loss TOOL and not the end all, be all solution to your weight loss. YOU still have to follow the dietary guidelines, YOU have to be accountable to your doctor and yourself, and YOU CAN be successful. Do start thinking about how you will fit in exercise when you are able to after surgery. Walking might be the only thing you'll be able to do for awhile but MAKE the time to be active.

Keep us posted!

Lisa
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    thanks for your stories. i have one really great thing going for me which is i have a job in the winters where i ski almost everyday. i usually cross country ski quite a bit as well, but last year was a terrible year for it. my problem last year was that i also get sucked into the drinking/partying element of the ski lifestyle and also get deep discounts on the ski resort food and when hungry (and buzzed) after skiing often over-indulged. i am planning on being in great shape to START the ski season next year and just building on it. beer is of course completely out after the lap band which will be a huge help.. my goal is to hit the slopes down 73 lbs. from the end of last season and then lose another 15-25 during the season. i started the program on april 23, a week after my last day on skis this winter.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, you are right about the dumping syndrome - it is to do with the 'short gut' created by the bypass and you shouldn't get that with a band. You may eperience vomiting or unusual bowel symptoms while you get used to the band but I'm sure you've already been told about that and it should pass.

Best of luck to you!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason!
    I had lap band surgery going on 2 years ago next week! It's nice to make your aquaintance! Best of luck!
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    I had the band in January. It's definitely a longer process but for me I was willing to be patient to have a less invasive procedure.

I love it. I'm just now feeling good restriction. Not ideal. I think I have another fill or two to go. But it definitely reminds me that it's there.

One thing that they didn't stress to me....just how LONG it would be before I actually felt restriction. I'm now 6 months post-op and it was only at my last fill that I really felt it kick in. So just be prepared to rely on alot of your own strengths and willpower during this first part of the journey. Now that I'm starting to feel what restriction feels like, I know that when I do get to my sweet spot then it will all be worth it.

Good luck!! For me, the surgery was a piece of cake!!!
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    Oh and for me - the only foods on my "no" list are pasta, rice and lobster. So far I have no problem eating bread. But I'd almost rather trade that to get my pasta back. LOL.

I've only had a few of painful stuck episodes with some of the unpleasant effects that go along with them (which I'm sure they've told you about). Thanks to pasta, rice and lobster....haha.

But (knock on wood), eating slow and eating small bites...I've never had any other issues than a few stuck episodes. Only bowel issues I had was during the post-op liquid phase. I wasn't told about that either. Be prepared for liquids in for 2 weeks....liquids out for 2 weeks. :)
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I had Lapband surgery on March 30th 2009! I can pretty much eat anything but bread. Hard work is still involved with the lapband it is a TOOL and nothing else! its there to help you. I have pretty much lost the same as a bypass paitent has in time but with the lapband becuase I also was determined to get this weight OFF and as fast as possible with the least invasive surgery. I Love my band and I would do it again in a heartbeat! with the band you can get stuck with not following the rules like CHEWING TO NO END, and Eating to fast! if meats are to dry Its somtimes hard for me to eat but normally I can eat pretty much anything except bread.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    more info! awesome. my understanding is that as far as adjusting the band it varies very much from individual/procedure to individual/procedure. some get restriction very quickly and others, like you, need more adjustments. better than having it too tight and getting all backed up. so, how painful are the adjustments? i am generally a "good patient" and not that worried about it but curious. and with the lap band, especially since you weren't that restricted at first, was the transition back to solid foods pretty seemless? no bread? i hadn't heard bread would be a problem. i love bread but suppose i could live without it if i have too. i mean hell, i am giving up my true love beer.

i'm really glad i brought it up. they have a support group where i am having the procedure done but it is a long drive and quite a challenge to attend. this is awesome!
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    adjustments (or Fills as they are often called) are a piece of cake. A needle goes into the port in your tummy and they inject it with saline solution which goes up the tube to your band. A 2 second pin prick and you're good to go!!

As far as how fast you feel restriction, what foods you'll tolerate, etc....it's VERY personal and varies with each individual. Some people feel good restriction after their first fill and some people it takes many more. My NP said she has one patient who it took 11 fills (although that's uncommon). My NP told me the average is 3-5 fills to feel decent restriction for her patients. I noticed decent restriction after fill #4. Some surgeons are more aggressive with their fill amounts so they can get you restriction faster and some will only put in a little each time to give more gradual restriction and avoid being too tight too fast.

For food, I can totally eat bread with no problem. I know other band patients who won't touch it because it gets stuck. For me, that's rice. I won't go near it! I know it's a guaranteed problem if I do. It's a learning process. What one person can eat, you may not be able to. But you'll figure it all out along the way. :)

Hope this helps!
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    it does. another couple of questions: did you lose extra weight in the month or so after the surgery because of the additional dietary restrictions? and what calorie limits are you on now? i really want to make my goal of losing 45 more lbs by the time the snow flies in the fall. after that a slow and steady weight loss will be fine with me. i'll be about halfway to my ideal weight at that point. i haven't been at my ideal weight since i was 22.
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    For me, I lost about 15 lbs during the post op phase. That was during the first 3 weeks. I didn't lose or gain during weeks 4 -5 when the solids are introduced back in but I expected that with my body adjusting back to real food. (my hospital has a 5 week post-op diet but that varies from surgeon to surgeon). My weight loss is steady but I know it could be faster if I were to incorporate more exercise. I do awesome with the eating but exercise is NOT my friend. LOL. I've recently started to incorporate more and I'm definitely seeing the scale move again.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs in my first 2 weeks when I was on liquids. Then it slowed down when I started introducing foods into my diet. Good luck! I need another fill now, I can tell it's too lose. Hmmmmm....
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    Fills are easy peasy...it took me 4 fills to feel restriction and then as I lost more weight I lost the restriction (because you are losing the fat around you stomach) and needed more. Ive been to tight 3 times now but its very easy to get to tight when you are so close to your sweet spot you need to just listen to your band. EXERSIZE IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reason I have been so sucessful is because as soon as the doctor said get up and walk I got up and walked until I was exausted! then at 6weeks postop they said i could exersize I was exersizing I knew I wanted to get this 150lbs off of me and Ive pretty much done it in about a year and 3months when they told me it would take about 2-3years with a lapband paitent. LOL they didnt believe how motivated I was.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    i'm llooking forward to the weight loss boost from being on liquids. no date yet but my surgery is probably 4-6 weeks from now, pending final insurance approval. i have slowed down to losing about 2 lbs. a week now so if i'm at about 38 lbs down going into the surgery i might make it to 50 lbs down after the returning to regular foods. then i'd have three months to lose the 20-25 i'd need to meet my goal for ski season, which should be quite doable. i am doing well with the exercsce and building on it very day.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had lap band revision 9/18/09. I have so far lost 70 lbs. Please add me as your friend.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Jason,

In case you hadn't already noticed from my profile, I don't have a lap band or anything but I am a dietitian (hence the knowledge and interest). I'm curious to know if you will be involved with a dietitian after the procedure? and if you have been already?
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    yes and yes. you are expected to stay in the program for life.