Does weight gain affect ur period??

Options
Like being overweight and/or obese. Mine used to come faithfully every month for 6-7 days. But in the past year I get it every 3 months for 6-7 days.
The every 3 month thing is cool but I'm not sure y this suddenly happened. Docs appt soon.

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yes, changes in weight (either loss or gain) can affect menstrual cycles. Good idea to get checked by your doctor to make sure something else isn't going on (like PCOS, etc).
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have seen extra weight effect the period. My friend had the most weird schedualed period and it was never"normal" for her. So, after talking to her doc and getting below 175lbs it all worked itself out for her. But yes, check with the docs to make sure it is not something else. Good luck
  • _Fatty2Fitty_
    _Fatty2Fitty_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes it can! And losing weight can do too! i lost quite a bit of weight 2 years ago and my periods stopped for 8 months straight! My sister lost even more weight and her periods still have not returned! Shes been to the doc, but everything has shown up clear!
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You might have PCOS
    You should go get checked out
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just read up on wat pcos is. I'm scared =(
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    yes. when i was heavier, i had the heaviest and worst periods. now that i'm at my ideal weight, my periods are lighter and more regular. being overweight definitely affects your hormone levels
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    chill. seriously.

obviously you should get checked out pronto, but lots of things can cause changes. plain old stress, for one.
    there's no point at all in freaking out over pcos at this point. especially if you've none of the classic symptoms.